A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grad Student Support Swap (SEND BY 10/30/08)  (Read 11325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alli_Lucy
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008 02:19:07 PM »

Hey!  Good for you on the proposal, Oneredboot!  I'm on vacation this week, visiting family.  It's been so long since I took time off, however, that I'm having trouble fighting crazy feelings of guilt over not being in the library.  I brought a few things to read and edit, but haven't gotten much done yet.  I need to buckle down!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008 06:53:31 PM »

Geez. I have kids (maybe some of you do, too?) so I can't really work on weekends. But I'm having a terrible time finishing a diss chapter, and I wanted to work on it more. My bright idea was to get up at 4:30 to work before the kids got up, then take a nap when they take a nap, and squeeze in some more work after the baby went to bed. Worst idea ever. I squeezed out about three pages, and felt awful the rest of the day, even though I did take a nap. No way can I muster the energy to write tonight. This is the kind of night when a little project helps. If I lie around watching TV, I'll just obsess over the work I didn't get done. Crafting requires a completely different kind of creative energy, and it is distracting enough to soothe my diss anxiety, if only for a couple of hours. Many nights, that's the only way I can settle my mind down enough to sleep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahmakes

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008 07:08:14 PM »

Here's a project that I did a while back that you guys might appreciate:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=249210.msg2765539#msg2765539

I think it probably looks ugly to some people, but it's my way of surrounding myself with things that help me get into "diss mode".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneredboot
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008 07:28:54 PM »

sarahmakes, that peacock chair is fabulous!!!!  i am such a believer in making a workspace a pleasant place to be.  what a great idea.  i write at the living room table--a door painted spring green balanced on two sawhorses--but my chair is a deep-green eames chair that i found at a vintage furniture shop.  it's not nearly as cool as a peacock, but it makes me happy! 

Alli_Lucy, your post starts out by saying that you're on vacation, but then you end by saying you have to buckle down and get work done!!???  our work is so amorphous and never-ending that it permeates eveything!  really though, if you're on vacation, be on vacation!!  Smiley

i just got back from a dept. dinner--which was actually rather fun for once!  i wore a dress that i made over the summer and people made a fuss over it.  not that that makes a party, but still.  Smiley  even better, turns out one of the incoming grad students just left her job at a fashion house in italy--it was nice to know that I'm not alone with my couture obsession.  (not that you'd know it if you saw me during the week--i'm working on NOT wearing sweatpants to the dept. this semester.  Smiley )

oh, and sarahmakes, i'm married but no kids yet--i think being a mom while writing a diss would be a whole different ballgame!  and hey, at least you got three pages out your AM experiment!  Smiley  i absolutely agree that a little crafting project in the evening is what lets me relax enough to get to sleep most of the time!  academic title to that paper would be:
"crafting to sleep":  knitting and insomnia in graduate student life
or some such nonsense--OK, obviously it's time for me to go knit then go to bed!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daniethanas
Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend, Crocheter

Hookin' like a fiend these days...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008 05:31:40 AM »

I spent the weekend patiently waiting for my grade in my "Leadership in Times of Change" class... A!! That means no problems with work reimbursing me (grad classes need a "B" or better for reimbursement). I also got my team assignment for my next class (Managerial Accounting) which starts tomorrow.

(I'm an all-online MBA student). Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alli_Lucy
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008 09:16:14 AM »

Daniethanas, congrats!  Best of luck in the next class!

Oneredboot, I know, I know - I need to relax, but I also have so much to get done before the quarter starts (I'm on the quarter system, and it's horrible).  Do grad students ever get real vacations?

Sarahmakes, it's hard enough balancing a marriage and graduate school; I can't imagine doing it with kids!  Kudos to you.  I'm definitely in the same boat on the sleeping thing, though.  I regularly do quick craft projects before bed to help with insomnia.  Crafting is one of the few activities that allows me to turn off my student brain entirely, which is probably why I love it so much.  I also love that it's a productive activity and that you have something to show for it at the end, so it never feels like wasted time to me.  I think I would have gone crazy long ago without crafting!

Should we all share what degrees we are pursuing and where we are in them?  I know that Oneredboot and our partners will have that info, but I'd like to know what everyone is doing!  I'm working on a PhD in Roman archaeology.  I finished my coursework in the spring, and I'll be spending the fall taking my candidacy exams.  If all goes well, I'll be moving onto full-time dissertation research in December.  I primarily work at Pompeii; I work at other sites as well, but Pompeii is my first love and major project, and I hope to always be doing something there.  I specialize in studying Roman death, and my dissertation is on the tombs at Pompeii and in the surrounding region.

What is everyone else up to? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
sarahmakes

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008 12:23:14 PM »

I'm in my sixth year of a PhD in English, specializing in 20th and 21st c. American literature. I'm writing a diss on religion in the novels of contemporary southern women (that's the American South). Some of my authors are Sue Monk Kidd, Lee Smith, Barbara Kingsolver, and Alice Walker (last tally, I think I was covering novels by twelve authors). My funding runs out this year, so I'm down to the wire on my diss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneredboot
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008 04:11:39 PM »

I'm in my fifth year working on an art history PhD.  I study contemporary art history, specifically body art, and my diss is a triangulation of performance art / religion / and trauma. 

sarahmakes, are your authors mainly Protestant?  My artists are Pentecostal and Catholic.   I'd  love to include a Mennonite or Quaker artist, but they tend to be installation artists rather than performance for some reason.  [I really need to stop calling them "my artists."  It's a bad habit I picked up from a cultural anthropologist in one of my classes year ago--she always referred to "my natives" and I thought it was incredibly offensive!  But somehow picked it up anyway.  Ack.]

Alli_Lucy, I taught the intro to art history class (caves to cathedrals) this summer and had a great time teaching Roman art!  my favorite was looking at the Valentino show that was recently staged at the Ara Pacis. 
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/10/style/10suzy.php
How weird is that??  Anyway, I actually spent a lot of time on Roman death practices b/c it makes the transition into early Christian art really interesting.  are you looking at tomb architecture or decoration or both??  so so interesting! 

Daniethanas, congrats on your grade!!  It's so awesome that your employer is reimbursing you for classes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimikachu
teacher lady extraordinaire

I (heart) swaps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008 05:07:51 AM »

You ladies are edu-ma-cated! I'm loving it!

I'm kind of an in "alternative" program here in NYC, which means that in two years time (or so they SAY!) I'll be able to be finished with my Master's in Education. I just started this program, and in the summer, I completed 7 master's credits in 7 weeks, two classes. I was also working and taught summer school to 5th grade students Monday through Friday.

I just started the new round of graduate classes last week, and can't stand one of my professors who threw a fit when we didn't have our books. My colleagues and I just found out the night before the class what it was going to be and the bookstore didn't have our books in yet! Grrr!  Angry

Anyway, tomorrow, Tuesday, I start teaching 9th and 10th grade students at a high school in the Bronx. My subjects? Reading and literacy for "non proficient learners."

Today is labor day, and guess what folks? It means I'm spending it inside and with my books!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008 05:11:26 AM by mimikachu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothin' worth doing ever comes easy.
Daniethanas
Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend, Crocheter

Hookin' like a fiend these days...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008 05:35:15 AM »

Thanks for the congrats! Smiley

And also... wow, I feel really behind you guys. Wink I'm in my first term of working towards my MBA with a focus on Aviation Management (my current job is as a customer service rep/contracts admin for a manufacturer of airplane components... it's really interesting but I won't bore you all here Wink). The program is another "alternative" program... it's an accelerated completely online program that is *very* structured and I'll have my masters by the end of July 2010 (inclusive of a capstone project).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Jeweled Sweatshirt
Holiday Fashion Tips for Parties and More
Trend Alert: Lace Pumps
Stylist Tod Hallman Shares His No. 1 Red Carpet Essential
Denim Jacket Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...