A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
334 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone know how to do this?  (Read 3582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

callmeflower9
crafty college chick

crafty collegiate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008 04:16:09 AM »

i was a crocheter before i was a knitter and I made many a hat with fpdc and bpdc, that to me def looks crocheted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayler.etsy.com
knitty_kitty
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008 09:20:04 AM »

Here is my guess for what it is worth:  Cast on 4 stitches.  Work these stitches in stockinette until they would be about 3/4 the length of your head (or even closer to the top).  Then do some decreases until you are left with one stich.  Now, pick up along the edge of this strip you just made and work in stockinette along the edge of the strip you just knitted.  This should have the stitches oriented perpendicularly to the original ones.  Decreasing at the top would be a little more tricky for this part.  Maybe someone else has some suggestions.  Next you'd need pick up along the edge of section #2 and work this section just like the very first one, oriented perpendicularly to section #2.  Hmm, maybe just pick up one stitch, knit 4, turn around, purl three back and then purl 2 together.  I guess you would have pick up 1 every row to get section 2 to attach to section 3.  Does this make any sense?

I think the brim is crochet, as has been stated already. 

This may give you some ideas

http://www.digitalthreads.com/knitting/entech/entech2.html

I think this problem really can be solved with the principals of entrelac.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazyCristyC

http://tossedcookies.wordpress.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008 08:14:19 PM »

I think knittykitty is the most right on this one with entrelac at a different angle, as well as anyone else who mentioned entrelac.  I was a crochetter before knitting (and still am) and it's not crochetted.  I tried a few different stitch combinations and nothing looked like that.  As for the ribbing, the lower ribs should look like stockinette and the higher ribs like reverse stockinette (does that make sense?).  In this example, the higher ribs are definitely stockinette.  If anyone wants to see different pictures of the same technique, this hat and others like it are actually sold on Etsy by dahliasoleil.  I was just trying to figure out how she got that look.  Thanks knittykitty and yeah, it's a pretty time consuming project, not to mention complicated. ^.^  Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008 10:38:27 PM »

I agree with the crochet proposal - If you look in the crochet stitch pattern books I think you'll find that the crochet equivalent of a knit stitch looks like that. It would also explain how you can get stitches appearing to go both directions - horizontally and vertically.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitty_kitty
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008 11:52:28 PM »

CristyC, after looking around, I am going to have to go with crochet too.  I don't know much about crochet so I had to do some searching.  I came up with this:

http://www.crochetme.com/working-around-the-post-exploring-raised-double-crochets

Looking at the red swatch I can imagine this could be what you are looking for.  There is also a sample of half double crochet rib being done on You Tube which also looks a little bit like the hat. 

The thing that made me change my mind was looking at the hats done in different colors.  When you knit a ribbed hat in the round with different colors you get a broken line of the previous color in the purl (or maybe the knit) stitches when you change to the new color.  I saw this broken line of color in these hats and that made me think these hats were also worked in the round, which means they can't be knitted.

I think my curiosity has gotten the best of me now, so I am going to have to keep trying to figure this one out and try not to neglect my Christmas projects I have already started.

I think samistrange was right all along.  Sam, you rock!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008 11:59:15 PM by knitty_kitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mwagen
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008 10:57:22 PM »

It looks like crochet basketweave to me, based on this picture
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008 11:46:30 PM »

I'm going with crochet too it's one of my favorite stitches and tricks even the best knitter Smiley it's front post and back post crochet, like this (photo courtsey of my friend Bugaboo1 I made this for her in a recent swap)

you can work cables in this manner too
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008 11:49:40 PM by GothChics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008 09:36:41 AM »

ha ha! I've been following this thread and I think I had a dream about this last night!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geniebueller
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008 08:01:49 PM »

I'm dont know crochet, but I saw this while trying to figure out single crochet.
The stitches look an awful lot like tunisian crochet

You may try fooling around with this.  perhaps alternate verticle & horizontal sections (complete verticle section & begin horizontal on the left edge of the previous section, etc)
I dunno
Check out the site though
http://www.nexstitch.com/v_Tutorials.html

I found while trying to crochet, its actually very easy as a knitter to keep the stitches on the hook & end up with tunisian.

hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008 08:10:18 PM by geniebueller - Reason: fix img » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DIY ho
ho ho ho

I'm a total Dean girl. I mean, YUM.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008 09:54:03 PM »

That hat is extremely similar to one vanillaxlight crocheted last year. Look at the cream colored hat in the third and fourth pics.

That said, I'm sure it could be knit as well. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare Trailer
Clive Davis Talks About Some of His Favorite Photos
Clive Davis on Whitney Houston and Carlos Santana
Clive Davis on Finding New Talent and Reinvigorating Careers
The Grand Complication by Stacy Perman
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...