A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions  (Read 463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chibii

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2008 05:32:28 PM »

I have to teach my classmates how to make something in polymer clay. I'm an Occupational Therapy major and polymer is actually a craft used for therapy. I want something simple but will turn out nice. One girl is doing jewelry. I was thinking maybe little pots made from long snakes that are wrapped around? Any other ideas? Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

3 successful personal swaps!

I love fish, strawberries, zebra prints, hair clips, and anything cute! <3
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008 04:28:09 PM »

Are you saying that another member of your class is doing polymer clay and making jewelry, so you want to make something else from polymer clay?
And are you wanting them to make something that those in occupational therapy might do if they're physically disabled, or just anything your classmates could make?  (if it's something like that, you might want to take a look at this page at my site, and also give more info about the limitations in another post:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/disabilities.htm )

Otherwise there are lots of quite different things that could be made from polymer clay by reasonably-grown up students in a fairly short amount of time (how much time DO you have? --that could matter too).

You mentioned "little pots made from long snakes that are wrapped around" but I'm not sure quite what that means.  Are you referring to the "coiled pots" often made from "coils" (ropes) of earth clay, which can later be smoothed to make a bowl or vase, etc.?  You could certainly do that with polymer clay, but that's more of an earth-clay technique since polymer clay can be shaped and cured much thinner from the start.

If you want to make something like a bowl from polymer clay, one thing I taught in a class of 6th graders was to make bowls in two ways:
...one was using cane slices (I took some ready-made canes since I wanted them to make 2 bowls in our 70-minute class, but they'd also learned to make simple ones the previous lesson) which they placed on the back of a glass custard cup or one of the other glass or metal items I'd brought, then baked... they just pop off after baking
...the other was just marbling some clay or something similar, making it into a medium-thickness large disk, then "draping" it over a glass custard dish or other form (with a tissue on it to avoid shiny spots)... sometimes they fluted the edges that hung over or added a few cane slices before draping etc.... after baking those just lift off
(if you want to check out some of the ones the kids made, you can see them in the first few photos on this page --the "cane-slice" bowls are mixed in with the "draped" bowls, but you can probably tell which is which easily:
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB/bowls-boxes )
Bowls (or trays) can be good because they can be used for all kinds of things later (not eating though--unless you want to leave the glass part in place) and can be any size or shape, and there's a lot of room for personal decisions in design.

If you want some lessons on making those, or want other things to do instead, just describe a bit more what you're looking for, how much you have to spend, whether you're using Sculpey III or not (no bowls in that case), how long you have for creating and for baking, etc., etc.

HTH,

Diane B.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008 04:30:07 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Salmon and Cod
How to make March Madness Chicken Wings
How to make Hoppin John - Black Eyed Peas and Rice
How to make Country Fried Steak
How to make Chicken with Tomatoes in a Dutch Oven
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...