A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gallon jars??  (Read 7492 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008 06:18:13 AM »

you'd probably have to double/triple the recipe, but how about sand art brownies?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sand-Art-Brownies/Detail.aspx

we made these for a library program a few years ago, they were awesome!  you could always find a similar recipe with cheaper ingredients too.  Good luck (p.s. all I have on my xmas list now is a gallon of cranberry vodka Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008 06:24:04 AM »

whoa, that's so cool about the kahlua. i had no idea!

i'm laughing about giving someone a Whole Gallon of liquor though. what a message eh? heh, "here's your giant bottle of booze, ya lush!"
i'm totally laughing  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

you know, you could fill them with people specific stuff, like i am crafty so if i got a gallon jar of, say, buttons, i'd just be in freaking heaven!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
zenthistle
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008 07:43:30 AM »

make honey mead Smiley  that stuff is really sweet type of wine thats usually found an reniasance festivals..
here is one link to a recipe...

http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-mead-honey.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008 07:46:26 AM »

A second the meade idea. Its super easy to make and its a wonderful sweet wine that would go well around christmas time. If you add some vanilla beans its yummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
ElleBee85
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008 10:02:24 AM »

as it's for the holidays i'd say mulled wine, but that's just because that's my holiday drink
i can write up a recipe and pm you if you like

I would LOVE the recipe! This sounds fabulous! Thanks so much!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElleBee85
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008 10:03:25 AM »

You could make Kahlua. It's preety inexpensive to make. You only need a fifth of vodka to make a gallon of Kahlua and cheap vodka works just fine for Kahlua. The only hard part about making Kahlua is that it needs to age 6 to 8 weeks. I had a neighbor that used to start bothering me at about 3 weeks. Is it ready yet? I don't think any of my kahlua batches aged over 6 weeks. Good times, g Grin Grin d times.

Wow, I never even thought about Kahlua! Do you happen to have a recipe that you've tried and know that works?? I'm sure I could find something on google, but it's good to have someone that's tried it first! Thanks for your idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElleBee85
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008 10:05:11 AM »

i'm laughing about giving someone a Whole Gallon of liquor though. what a message eh? heh, "here's your giant bottle of booze, ya lush!"
i'm totally laughing  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

you know, you could fill them with people specific stuff, like i am crafty so if i got a gallon jar of, say, buttons, i'd just be in freaking heaven!
[/quote]

Ahahaha, that is so true about the liquor. I so wish that they were 1/2 gallon bottles, but for some reason when I ordered them, I thought an entire gallon was necessary. Ooops!! And what a cute idea to fill them with buttons! Unfortunately, I think at the price of buttons these days, I could make a gallon of cranberry vodka!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melazdee
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008 11:08:50 AM »

Ok first thing that comes to mind is a simmering potpourri..that would be something that people would use little by little and a whole gallon wouldn't be absurd, especially if it was pre-diluted so all they have to do is pour some in a pot or crock pot and simmer.  unfortunately all I can find are recipes for dry ingredient mixtures that you add water to when you are ready to simmer. But maybe you can find a recipe to make just a liquid one, like they sell in stores, I wonder how that would keep...

Oh here's a semi-idea: you go with a "ship in a bottle" kind of idea.. put something in it that looks like there was no way you could have fit it in there and that they could only use (assuming its a consumable item, doesnt have to be if they're artsy) by pulling a little out at a time. the only example I can think of is like a big roll of stickers, but that would only really work for a kid, unless you know someone who really likes stickers!

OR what about a "message in a bottle" kind of thing. Here's one idea: take a looooooong piece of pretty ribbon, and then every "X" inches down the ribbon affix a small, pretty card. You could do 365 cards inside and run the ribbon out of the top, so they could pull on it and pull out a card every day (you could date them if you were that good) then on each card, you give them something that fits their personality. If they are humorous you put an original joke or picture on each one, if they are the person that always knows the most random facts, you put a random "didja know?" on each card etc. The theory behind this would be you didn't want to give them something for christmas that they would only enjoy for one only day, but that they could enjoy for a whole year to come. The coiled ribbon and cards would look really nice displayed in the jar.

You could do a gag gift like fill one with white jelly beans for a new mother or new wife/husband or someone who just started a potentially stressfull trek and say they are "aspirin"

for someone who doesn't drink wine  you could fill it with grape jelly beans, put on a funny "wine label" and include a decked out goblet

maybe for someone who cooks a lot, infused oil? might get pricey though

kind of another gag gift but you could get someone one of those "grow your own--" things (grow your own husband, boyfriend, dog etc where its a little gummy figurine that when you soak in water and it grows to a billion times its size) and either grow it for them and present it (with a tag that says "from the garden of ___" lol) or just give it with the jar.

OH ! lavender water! it has tons of uses so a gallon is not completely crazy to give.. (you could include a card with all the uses) check this out: http://tipnut.com/homemade-lavender-water-recipes/ the second recipe only uses 1.5 c vodka to a whole gallon so..well its a lot less expensive than a gallon of vodka!

k hope i helped or atleast gotten some more creative juices flowing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
cmouse01
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008 11:18:27 AM »

Is there a certain snack food that your family loves?  Like gorp, puppy chow, trail mix, etc.  You could fill the bottle with something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008 11:34:43 AM »

Beautiful bottle! The first thing that comes to mind is an infused oil. It can be kept in the refrigerator.
You could also make a milk bath. There are recipes online.
How about a flavored vinegar?
And I like the idea that someone else had for Cider. I would say do wassail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Monkey-Bread Thanksgiving Recipe Your Kids Will Love
Sausage and Winter Slaw Sandwich Recipe
Three Sweet Side Recipes for a Thanksgiving Meal
How to Make a Philly Cheese Steak Bake
Sweet-and-Spicy Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...