A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft your own full and flirty (NO Sew) tee-shirt skirt  (Read 42518 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RococoPop
« on: August 28, 2008 12:41:13 PM »

Back in April FabSugar posted a link to a photo of Drew Barrymore rocking a gorgeously graphic printed skirt by Gucci. Ah! But what inspiration!

I thought it would be fun to show you how you can take an ordinary tee shirt [men's XXL or bigger] and, in 45 minutes or less, take it from the thrift store bargain bin to the virtual catwalk. This is a no-sew project - easy for adults and suitable for children with adult supervision.

Step One: Gather your tools. You will need 1 XXL tee, an iron, measuring tape, straight edge, pencil, scissors.

Step Two: Clean and press your shirt to remove the wrinkles.

Step Three: Measure and mark 16" from the bottom of the hem of the shirt. Use tailor's chalk or a pencil.

Step Four: Draw a line with a straight edge at the 16 inch marks you just made.

Step Five: Cut along the line you just drew using scissors or a rotary tool.

Step Six: Turn the skirt that you just cut from the body or the shirt hem-side up and snip the hem. Be careful not to cut through the stitches. This will for the casing for your drawstring.

Step Seven: Create the drawstring. Measure, mark and cut a 1 inch strip from the remainder of the tee shirt.

Step Eight: Snip the 1 inch tube. Stretch it and knot it at the ends. Thread the drawstring into the casing.

Step Nine: Cinch it good. Pull on your skirt and cinch it tight on your waist.

Step Ten: Have fun painting and embellishing your skirt as you wish.

There are a lot of great tutorials for embellishing fabric and clothing.  Check out:
The Transformer Jeans Skirt
Image Transfer Techniques

My idea for the design, as shown in this tutorial, was originally inspired by CasaSugar and her MidDay Muse.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
oohmybees
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008 03:34:53 PM »

Very nice and so simple too!!!  Both of those skirts are fab, did you use a stencil? they look very professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MaryAbbie
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008 08:06:19 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial!

I just made this one and I guess I'll tye dye it or something
Any ideas?  Undecided

*EDIT*
I tye dyed when I evacuated for Hurricane Gustav last week and this is what I came up with....

Oh, and I noticed my hand did an amazing disappearing trick in my previous picture. O.o
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008 03:11:11 PM by MaryAbbie - Reason: Update » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovefrozenstars
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008 10:04:44 PM »

What a great tut.  The graphics are awesome.

And I think Tie-dye would be a super cute way to decorate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What makes someone go into the arts is their uncanny knack of perceiving the slightest problem as the grandest tragedy."
- Nicky Silver
Vayerly
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008 10:11:14 PM »

Your tutorial is truly amazing! I will definitely be trying this project sometime in the near future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." -Hob Gadling
modernlunacy

Expect a struggle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008 11:56:33 PM »

I love it! And your illustrations are great for visual learners like myself. I know what I'll be working on tomorrow... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008 12:33:08 AM »

this is a gret tute ! thatks for posting it ..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RococoPop
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008 02:39:16 AM »

Very nice and so simple too!!!  Both of those skirts are fab, did you use a stencil? they look very professional.

Hi oohmybees! Thanks so much for the nice comments. Both skirts are hand painted - no stencils. The black one was painted with acrylic fabric paint. For the gray one I used permanent, PrismaColor markers and fabric paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RococoPop
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008 02:47:04 AM »

Thanks for the tute!
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/100_21842.JPG[/img]
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/100_21823.JPG[/img]
I just made this one and I guess I'll tye dye it or something
Any ideas?  Undecided

That looks so cute MaryAbbie!  Thanks. I so love that you used a light color shirt. I think tie dye would be cute but a dip dye would be even cuter. I don't know what your into so I don't know what kind of graphics would work for you but I'd do something around the hem and extend the design up one side, kind of wrapping it around the seam to the back.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008 04:45:54 AM by sweets4ever - Reason: Please don't quote images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RococoPop
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008 03:02:58 AM »

Thanks so much everybody! I know that this project is super simple for this site but I wanted to get my feet wet first.

I'm so glad that you're liking the tute. I actually created it at the request of a friend who has a 7 yr old daughter. They were able to do it together and her daughter was really excited about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artichoke Chicken With Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Sauteed Chicken With Mushroom Sauce Recipe
How to Cut Apart a Whole Chicken
How to Carve a Thanksgiving Turkey
How to Scramble Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...