Okay, so I saw cheytown
's tutorial on how to make a toddler dress out of an extra large men's dress shirt, and thought "ZOMFG WANT".
But it was for a toddler.
I'm not a toddler. :<
So I said "screw it" and made one anyway, with some minor adjustments, which I'll explain (though lacking in pics, cuz I wasn't that smart). n_n
So, starting with http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170402.msg1742893#msg1742893
the original tutorial, here ya go.
Okay, so this is what the shirt looked like before... sorta. You see, I bought three shirts, since I really liked the way the finished dress looked in the tutorial, and men's shirts are pretty multi-purpose anyway. Plus they were only ten bucks each. Go macy's!
So, this blue one is identical to the green one I used.
Now, in all truth, this isn't exactly a one-size-fits-all project, since the finished dress didn't take much cutting down at all, so I don't think I could've pulled it off if I was much bigger. My apologies to my more voluptuous sisters out there.
After following the little girly tutorial, I realized that at some point, my boobage exceeding that of a three-year-old's might be an issue, thus I measured my fullest bust, and the chest right below it (your bra size part, mine's 32), added a few inches for seam allowence/ease to both measurements, and cut down the pieces seperately, seperating the yoke from the rest of the back of the shirt, and considering it a seperate piece. Then, to make it more form-fitting (and thus less falling-off-ey), I made two curves dart-type things over where my nipples are, which also helps cover up the problem of not being able to wear a bra under this thing. What you want to do with that is to make sure that the narrowest part of the dart, the part at the bottom of the piece, matches up with the length of the lower piece you just cut it off of. Otherwise, when you try to reattach them, it will turn out funky, or you'll have to gather the top piece to make it shorter. And that's pretty much it. I also topstitched my initials, CJ, on the front, just because it looked kind of plain. And here's the finished product!