A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's Button Down Shirt into Toddler Dress - Big Girl Edition! XD  (Read 2302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kitsywitsy
Princess of her own little world <3

I knit, I sew, and I laugh.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2008 02:54:18 AM »

Okay, so I saw cheytown's tutorial on how to make a toddler dress out of an extra large men's dress shirt, and thought "ZOMFG WANT".
But it was for a toddler. Sad
I'm not a toddler. :<
So I said "screw it" and made one anyway, with some minor adjustments, which I'll explain (though lacking in pics, cuz I wasn't that smart). n_n

So, starting with http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170402.msg1742893#msg1742893the original tutorial, here ya go.

Okay, so this is what the shirt looked like before... sorta. You see, I bought three shirts, since I really liked the way the finished dress looked in the tutorial, and men's shirts are pretty multi-purpose anyway. Plus they were only ten bucks each. Go macy's!

So, this blue one is identical to the green one I used.

Now, in all truth, this isn't exactly a one-size-fits-all project, since the finished dress didn't take much cutting down at all, so I don't think I could've pulled it off if I was much bigger. My apologies to my more voluptuous sisters out there.

After following the little girly tutorial, I realized that at some point, my boobage exceeding that of a three-year-old's might be an issue, thus I measured my fullest bust, and the chest right below it (your bra size part, mine's 32), added a few inches for seam allowence/ease to both measurements, and cut down the pieces seperately, seperating the yoke from the rest of the back of the shirt, and considering it a seperate piece. Then, to make it more form-fitting (and thus less falling-off-ey), I made two curves dart-type things over where my nipples are, which also helps cover up the problem of not being able to wear a bra under this thing. What you want to do with that is to make sure that the narrowest part of the dart, the part at the bottom of the piece, matches up with the length of the lower piece you just cut it off of. Otherwise, when you try to reattach them, it will turn out funky, or you'll have to gather the top piece to make it shorter. And that's pretty much it. I also topstitched my initials, CJ, on the front, just because it looked kind of plain. And here's the finished product!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://squiby.net/view/3250448.png

I do personal swaps! Especially of Lolita, Hime-gyaru, and fairy-kei related items!
BettiePageIsMyHero
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008 04:53:17 AM »

cute- i feel inspired now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Perkle
Lu

just cos i rock doesnt mean im made of stone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008 07:38:39 AM »

Smiley  hehe thats pretty cool!! my boyfriend has a few tops i really like that are now soon going to be miiine muahahaha thanks  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fandoobely
Sandroo

Mine is an evil laugh!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008 08:32:51 AM »

Awesome!  I'm going to have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ickle pickle
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008 01:12:45 PM »

Oh very cute, I love it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UPDATED 18th August. Check out my new blog at http://icklepicklepumpkinpie.blogspot.com/ Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Narrow Quilt Borders
How to Make Rope Bangle Bracelets
How to Make Fashionable Leather Cuff Bracelets
How to Display a Button Collection
How to Make Yarn-Embellished Cards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...