A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Dog Kennel Mats-Need some help with fabrics  (Read 869 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MisTiF
« on: August 27, 2008 05:55:25 PM »

Evening Ladies and Gents-

My MIL has decided that she wants me to make her a couple of kennel mats for 2 of her pups that will be attending obedience school in the next couple of weeks. 

They are Aussie Shepherds, so I need some ideas on some fabrics that will keep them cool but last though washings and wear. 

I'm thinking for the filling I'm going to use 2" foam to give a nice pad.

Anyone have any suggestions, please and thank you very much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can dress an octopus, you can dress a toddler.

www.aussies2dye4.co m
Taniquel
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008 12:06:50 AM »

canvas? - don't forget to pre wash
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008 03:07:43 PM »

I would double cover. Make a waterproof covering for the foam (as it doesn't go through the washer well) and then make a removable & washable cover in duck, denim, heavy corduroy, even fleece if your weather warrants.

If foam gets peed on, it'll retain the smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbethie
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008 11:54:25 AM »

I would double cover. Make a waterproof covering for the foam (as it doesn't go through the washer well) and then make a removable & washable cover in duck, denim, heavy corduroy, even fleece if your weather warrants.

If foam gets peed on, it'll retain the smell.

Although I don't know a lot about sewing, I second the motion for the waterproof covering for the foam.  It will protect the foam from the doggie drool when the doggies are sleeping  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MisTiF
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008 01:19:30 PM »

Thanks for the answers.  We have decided to go with some denim.  What fabric would be good for covering the foam to water proof it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can dress an octopus, you can dress a toddler.

www.aussies2dye4.co m
bookwormbethie
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008 02:02:46 PM »

I've seen fabric at JoAnn's labled "outdoor canvas fabric"  I guess for upholstering patio furniture.  Maybe that is waterproof?

Maybe if you have mad sewing skills you could buy the "waterproof" matress covers for children that have bed wetting issues and tailor them for your doggie beds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008 05:15:14 PM »

Oh! I like the waterproof matress pad idea! You need something plastic, PUL or vinyl for real outdoor waterproofness. Outdoor fabric is treated for UV exposure & water resistant, but not a great choice in this situation (it''ll still hold a smell), that and the other stuff is way cheaper. They have flannel backed vinyl tablecloth prints that you can buy by the yard, that is pretty cheap & what I have used for similar in the past.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008 02:04:01 PM »

I am not sure how big the pups are but what I do for my dog is use pillows - the thinnest ones I can find.  I sew the cover using corduroy since my dog is spoiled rotten.  I have found that he doesn't like the feel of denim or canvas.  He is a real diva.
I don't like the idea of foam since it doesn't go in to the washing machine too well so I use the pillows.
I posted my air mattress looking dog crate mat/pillow that I made Buster last year - that is stuffed using polyfil.  To keep the polyfil from getting all lumpy in the wash I sewed channels in to the material. That worked great Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
spacecat888
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008 09:36:15 PM »

What I used for my two girls (when they were pups) was actually just a bath sheet (HUGE bath towel) sewn like a pillow sham... as in, folded almost in half, so one end is about 4" longer than the other, then sewing both short sides closed.  That way, you can slip your pillow/filler in and flip the whole thing over to protect the opening.  The towel worked great, as it was snuggly through the winter and spring, but being cotton, it didn't hold the heat in the summer. 

And a lil tip from working at a kennel and training center, the best way to prevent a puppy soiling his bedding is to go SMALLER.  I know we all want our pooches to have huge, floofy beds with a dust ruffle, but to a puppy that says "ok, I can pee over here, then sleep on this side! Brilliant!"  While you're getting your new fella used to the house, his or her sleeping area should be just big enough to stand up, turn around, and lie down in.  That's it.  The yard is for potty, the living area is for play, the kitchin is for food, and the kennel is for quiet time/sleeping. 

That is, of course, until they're housebroken, and then you can pile all the towel mats into a pillowy cottony raft of decadence and snuggle with them on it  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008 03:39:24 AM »

spacecat - great way to put the smaller is better with the dog crates.  We followed the same advice and Buster was housetrained in no time flat.  I do wonder if he would have liked the old towels for material - a bit too late now.  He is an indoor dog so the actual material probably isn't too important.  He is spoiled rotten.  He actually knows when I am making him something.  He will wait by the sewing machine if I tell him I am making him a toy or a new bed.  Just like a little kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tweak Book Trailer
Danny Tobey Talks About The Faculty Club
Carlos Eire Talks About Waiting for Snow in Havana
"Jasper Dash and the Flame-Pits of Delaware" Book Trailer
Dr. Carin Rubenstein Talks About The Superior Wife Syndrome
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...