A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Fancy Kitty  (Read 4825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 27, 2008 05:33:06 PM »

So, there's a new drum carder on the market, handmade with hardwoods and at a decent price! Since I have been considering drum carders, I took a deep breath and bought one. I will let you all know how it is when I get it, but I couldn't really beat the $299 price! Brand New! It's made by fiber folks so they really seem to know what a person wants in a fiber tool, and when I sent him emails (after my purchase) he answered back, which is something I consider VERY important from a business but unlikely from a large company. Anyway, they can be found at www.fancy-kitty.com I bought the kitten, but you shoould see the big kitty! all carved and inlaid with pretty woods...I couldn't afford that one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008 07:34:03 AM »

Whoa, I think I saw one of the big kitty carders at Estes Park Wool Market, and I thought "What the heck!  I've never even heard of these!".  Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to really look at it...lots of people, and laminathegreat and I were juggling her kiddos...so thanks for the link!   They look beautiful...congrats, and definitely let us know what you think of it!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008 05:58:13 PM »

He said they are really new to the market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008 04:02:23 PM »

it's sitting on my porch...and i won't have time to go pick it up until later! Much later! arg!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shade of Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008 01:42:55 AM »

it's sitting on my porch...and i won't have time to go pick it up until later! Much later! arg!

OOOOWWW I want a review! bounce bounce bounce
I totally dig this drum and I want one.
Only I have to let it ship to the Netherlands, cause well that's where I live.
That's a bit scary so I desperately want a review from you how brillant this kitten is!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008 12:06:16 PM »

I haven't opened the box yet, but the personalized thank you note was WAY COOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chibilightangel
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008 05:37:45 PM »

A personalized note sounds promising. I really can't wait for you to give us your impression of this one because I'm really considering getting one at that price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008 02:14:43 PM »

Ok, I played with it. I've never really used a drum carder before so it took me some time to get the hang of it, and I really think that I need more practice, but one I figured it out, it was great! I had to adjust it a bit to get it to work right, but once I did, it was great! (I think this was due to the brush attachment.) I have a batt of alpaca ready to spin! And Ron, the creator has been really supportive, letting me know that I can contact him if I have any problems. I really like that. All in all, I'd say, Thumbs up!! I could card all day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008 05:46:30 AM »

The most made mistakes when first using a drum carder are not adjusting the width between the licker in drum and the main drum. 

You want them to be even with each other and enough space to insert a piece of paper between them.

For carding finer fibers like alpaca, llama & angora, you need more TPI (called a fur drum).

Only feed well teased fiber through and only a little at a time.  you should be able to see through the fiber.

I've been wanting to get a brush attachment for my Patrick Green, but went with a burning tool instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008 01:06:09 PM »

I adjusted itto about there and really like how the brush attachment keeps everything smooth and pretty. Thank you for the advice about how much to feed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Steps to the Perfect Beachy Wave
3 Fixes For A Bad Hair Day
Best Habits for Healthy Hair
Avoid Frizzy Hair on the Beach
The Trend: Beachy Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...