A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "WIP" Maternity T-shirt and Onesies with birds  (Read 1342 times)
Tags for this thread: onesie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MoonChyld3
« on: August 27, 2008 05:13:50 PM »

My good friend and crafting buddy is having a baby in January and her birthday was a few days ago. I'd seen other people make freezer paper stencils and I really wanted to give it a try.  She's really into knitting (actually, she's crazy about knitting. she can crank out a sweater in two weeks!), so I thought I would stencil a shirt for her. Inspiration struck and this is what came of it...

You can see the stencil I used and the edge of the birds stencil I used on the onesies

"W.I.P" stands for "Work in progress" and in my experience is a common abbreviation in knitting. I almost made a onesie that had "W.I.P" crossed out and "F.O." underneath. "F.O." stands for "Finished object"  Smiley 

I made the entire stencil myself in Photoshop and I am sooo impressed with how it turned out. My boyfriend thought I should put the stencil on the belly area, but I figured the last thing a pregnant girl wants to do is call more attention to her belly! When he told her his idea, she was really confused. Apparently it hadn't even crossed her mind that this was something handmade. What a compliment!

I really like watching instructional youtube videos, it really helps me to see someone actually do what I am about to do. These youtube videos really helped me in the stencil-making and stenciling process:

How to turn a picture into a stencil with Photoshop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPojYDYhMsE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL2rLofWtz0

Stenciling with freezer paper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLtbZh2u-w

Since the shirt came out so well I decided I'd stencil some onesies too

Closeup

This was a two-part stencil (which I downloaded from this site), which I thought would be easy but ended up being a little tricky. I did the dark blue first, then after it dried a little I ironed the second stencil on top. Some dark blue paint ended up getting on my iron and then on the collar of one of the onesies (I got most of it out...). When I peeled the second stencil off I saw that some of the light blue had bled under the stencil. I went around the edges with a toothpick dipped in dark blue paint and I think I was able to clean it up well enough. Overall I'm really happy with how they came out and my friends and I have been thinking about what to stencil next.....  Grin

If anyone has any advice about how to do two-part stencils I'd really like to know!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008 05:15:07 PM by MoonChyld3 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wudal23
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008 05:15:06 PM »

thats neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008 06:47:54 PM »

Love the WIP shirt! Great idea and fabulous execution.

Thanks for the links, too. I keep meaning to learn freezer paper stenciling.

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holly Goddard Jones Discusses Her Novel The Next Time You See Me
How to Write a Novel
How to Become a Freelance Writer
How to Write an Autobiography
How to Avoid Run-on Sentences
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...