A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If a zombie apocalypse happened in Vegas, would it stay in Vegas?
Total Members: 302,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First House  (Read 4590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sleepykins
« on: August 27, 2008 02:42:49 PM »

My boyfriend and I bought our first house together in March 2007. We've spent the last year and a half fixing it up... It's gone through a lot of stages, and so has our relationship!!! I've posted some of the work as it was completed on other threads... But here is the whole thing all together... To note: when we first bought the house, it had been used by 5 college students, so you can imagine the disrepair. They had tried to do a cover up job, but it was pretty lackluster. The walls were covered in the worst paint job ever, the carpets were beyond salvageable, the kitchen was a nightmare and the addition was sinking! Oy!

The Master Bedroom was the first room we tackled. We enlarged the closet door, and added an organizer. We painted the walls, and generally just cleaned it up a little.

I ripped out the carpeting in the second bedroom in a fit... Check out my post here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=203993.msg2175533#msg2175533

The last bedroom is now the computer room. We also put down new carpeting in the whole top floor. We redid the bathroom too. ripped up the linoleum and put in ceramic tiles. (using the tile cutter was one of the more frustrating jobs - mixing the grout was one of the most satisfying!).

Downstairs we updated the house with a uniform coat of paint, cleaned up the dinning room, and totally redid the addition and the kitchen.

See the kitchen reno here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=261627.msg2932000#msg2932000

And the addition (as we call it, the Florida Room!). This room was hella slanted, covered in ugly carpet tiles, and the walls were splattered with paint (Pollock this kid was not!).

My boyfriend used bottle jacks to host up the room (1/4 inch every day for 8 days) and poured concrete footings and made the whole thing super secure and insulated. It was by far the warmest room in the house last winter!

Then I pulled up the carpet tiles, painted the whole thing, we replaced the baseboards, and added the most beautiful pine floor ever. Our friend was opening a pub, and he had this great wide-plank flooring left over. Once we put it down, we loved it so much we couldn't stain it or cover it with anything, so we just rubbed in three coats of tung oil, and it turned out great. Water resistant but still so natural.

And last but not least, the exterior: We paved the driveway, filled out the bald spots in the yard, cleaned out the garden and painted the railings.

Phew. This weekend we're going to my parents' cottage for the first time this summer! We are going to sit on the dock and do ABSOLUTELY nothing for what seems like the first time in our entire lives!!! hahaha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcartwright856
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008 03:12:01 PM »

I. eat. It.

Your post gives all of us future homeowners hope!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artist.nerd.musiclover
wanna-be graphic designer

"Peace, eat, and math!" ~David Krumholtz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008 03:31:16 PM »

Gorgeous!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008 03:51:59 PM »

WOW! Fantastic job! & congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thatgeekchic
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008 04:32:32 PM »

wow this is so beautiful Smiley your bathroom and florida room are my favs Smiley...
BTW where did you get the wall hanging ( on the same wall where plants are in florida room ) I eat those but i am not sure where to get those from ( especially in US )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jeenome

Too many ideas too little time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008 04:32:52 PM »

Its beautiful! You have ghoulish taste. I don't know if I could ever move after putting in all that work. Smiley Enjoy your weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorchick
Obsessive Compulsive

; p

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008 06:02:10 PM »

ghoulish job. i eat it when people take a house that other people would pass over and turn it into a house that other people would kill over.

we got ours for a steal (considering the neighbourhood) and then upped the value by more than 20,000 just by pulling the ugly wood panelling out of the livingroom and replacing it with drywall. I can't wait to keep going like you guys have though! I would kill to be able to make my bathroom that fab. My bathroom doesn't even have a window. Yet you can hear people talking outside through the vent in there. It's pretty ghoulish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have sixtybillion more ideas than actual completed projects. Blog stalker, fast talker, slow walker!
I am lorchick of ON{thelaundry}LINE blog.
Smell the flowers, kill the bugs, laugh at your mistakes, and hide the laundry! Cheesy
craft_ee_me
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008 06:13:33 PM »

Great job! You should be VERY proud......it's beautiful, all of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft supply philosophy I stole from a line from AVP. ''I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.'' But, they were talking about a condom. Tongue
Avian Flight
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008 11:24:07 PM »

eat your house. so clean, inviting and fun! i would eat to live there. =P you did so much work but i'm sure it's so worth it in the end. congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
nurseninja

It's a BOY! Due FEB 22!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008 03:10:24 PM »

congrats- your home is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Books free to good home: 201 Quilt Blocks, Vogue: Knit Accessorize, Country Weekend Knits, Sticker Magic**
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Mixed Beans
How to make Chicken Pot Pie Part 2
How to make Apple Dumpling
How to make a Shrimp and Scallop Country Casserole
How to make Hickory Smoked Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
I Am Zombie Homer
Beware! Zombunnies!
April 1, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...