A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My New Twirly Skirt... is too big :'(  (Read 1839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iheartcapnhook
« on: August 27, 2008 07:16:55 AM »

I just got a job working for Viking Sewing Machines inside Joann's.  I'm pretty stoked.  I figured I would wear clothes that showcase the machines ability as sort of a selling point.  So, I made my newest twirly skirt. When grabbed the elastic for the waistband, I grabbed the wrong piece and now the skirt is too big Sad   I love the fabrics and just wanted to show off how awesome this line of fabric is!!!  It is CottonCandy by Sweetwater for Clothworks Fabrics which I got from the local quilt shop.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008 07:17:28 AM by iheartcapnhook » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008 07:29:04 AM »

this is really pretty, i have thought about making skirts like this myself.... but i would never have the patience... I am in awe of the people who have the ability to make this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ynotpray
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008 07:30:34 AM »

Very pretty. I love it!  Maybe you can sew a wide elastic waistband and it would fit?  So you bought the quilting squares?  If you don't mind me asking, how much did the fabric cost for this skirt!  I know you put some major time into this project!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ickle pickle
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008 07:35:25 AM »

Oh it's gorgeous, well done Smiley Do you mind me asking how you made it. As I have seen tutorilas for childrens twirly skirts but not adults. I'd love to have a go at making one too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UPDATED 18th August. Check out my new blog at http://icklepicklepumpkinpie.blogspot.com/ Wink
iheartcapnhook
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008 07:41:52 AM »

Very pretty. I love it!  Maybe you can sew a wide elastic waistband and it would fit?  So you bought the quilting squares?  If you don't mind me asking, how much did the fabric cost for this skirt!  I know you put some major time into this project!!

I bought a set of fat quarters of the fabric line.  There were 12 FQ's which cost $35. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iheartcapnhook
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008 07:45:10 AM »

Oh it's gorgeous, well done Smiley Do you mind me asking how you made it. As I have seen tutorilas for childrens twirly skirts but not adults. I'd love to have a go at making one too Smiley

It is made like you would with a child's skirt.  I know I have seen a pattern (maybe simplicity???) for one if you aren't comfy with tutorials.  I've been doing tiered skirts and ruffles on skirts for many a year, so my Mum taught me... but the glorious Vegbee has a wonderful tute on her site which explains it in great detail! http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/05/patchwork-circle-skirt.html

Rule of thumb... each layer is 1.5 times longer than the last! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daina

There should be a twelve step program for crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008 09:02:39 AM »

Beautiful and congratulations!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008 10:42:47 AM »

oh, no, all that gathering work and too big!  I groaned outloud in sympathy when I read your subject.  It is lovely though... I hope that you get to wear it somehow anyway.  Congrats on the new job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamato2girls
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008 10:43:04 AM »

Is the elastic in a casing?  If so just rip about about a two inch opening, cut the elastic & replace with the correct size.  Then stitch the opening back up.  I've done this to DDs skirts.  Maybe yours is made differently though.  Good luck.  It is gorgeous, & congrats on the job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fetus

Makin' it weird one craft at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008 11:07:15 AM »

Just make it smaller with waist dart or something liek that. Or just wear it on your hips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint on Paper with Oils
How to Improve Your Oil Painting Skills
How to Create Different Textures with Oil Paints
How to Face Paint a Union Jack Flag
Shepard Fairey Mural Time Lapse
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...