A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My New Twirly Skirt... is too big :'(  (Read 1973 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iheartcapnhook
« on: August 27, 2008 07:16:55 AM »

I just got a job working for Viking Sewing Machines inside Joann's.  I'm pretty stoked.  I figured I would wear clothes that showcase the machines ability as sort of a selling point.  So, I made my newest twirly skirt. When grabbed the elastic for the waistband, I grabbed the wrong piece and now the skirt is too big Sad   I love the fabrics and just wanted to show off how awesome this line of fabric is!!!  It is CottonCandy by Sweetwater for Clothworks Fabrics which I got from the local quilt shop.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008 07:17:28 AM by iheartcapnhook » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008 07:29:04 AM »

this is really pretty, i have thought about making skirts like this myself.... but i would never have the patience... I am in awe of the people who have the ability to make this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ynotpray
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008 07:30:34 AM »

Very pretty. I love it!  Maybe you can sew a wide elastic waistband and it would fit?  So you bought the quilting squares?  If you don't mind me asking, how much did the fabric cost for this skirt!  I know you put some major time into this project!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ickle pickle
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008 07:35:25 AM »

Oh it's gorgeous, well done Smiley Do you mind me asking how you made it. As I have seen tutorilas for childrens twirly skirts but not adults. I'd love to have a go at making one too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UPDATED 18th August. Check out my new blog at http://icklepicklepumpkinpie.blogspot.com/ Wink
iheartcapnhook
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008 07:41:52 AM »

Very pretty. I love it!  Maybe you can sew a wide elastic waistband and it would fit?  So you bought the quilting squares?  If you don't mind me asking, how much did the fabric cost for this skirt!  I know you put some major time into this project!!

I bought a set of fat quarters of the fabric line.  There were 12 FQ's which cost $35. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iheartcapnhook
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008 07:45:10 AM »

Oh it's gorgeous, well done Smiley Do you mind me asking how you made it. As I have seen tutorilas for childrens twirly skirts but not adults. I'd love to have a go at making one too Smiley

It is made like you would with a child's skirt.  I know I have seen a pattern (maybe simplicity???) for one if you aren't comfy with tutorials.  I've been doing tiered skirts and ruffles on skirts for many a year, so my Mum taught me... but the glorious Vegbee has a wonderful tute on her site which explains it in great detail! http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/05/patchwork-circle-skirt.html

Rule of thumb... each layer is 1.5 times longer than the last! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daina

There should be a twelve step program for crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008 09:02:39 AM »

Beautiful and congratulations!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008 10:42:47 AM »

oh, no, all that gathering work and too big!  I groaned outloud in sympathy when I read your subject.  It is lovely though... I hope that you get to wear it somehow anyway.  Congrats on the new job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamato2girls
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008 10:43:04 AM »

Is the elastic in a casing?  If so just rip about about a two inch opening, cut the elastic & replace with the correct size.  Then stitch the opening back up.  I've done this to DDs skirts.  Maybe yours is made differently though.  Good luck.  It is gorgeous, & congrats on the job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fetus

Makin' it weird one craft at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008 11:07:15 AM »

Just make it smaller with waist dart or something liek that. Or just wear it on your hips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand a HDR Image Part 2/2
How to High Light Features Through Lighting
How to Provoke an Emotional Reaction with an Image
Comparison Between Literal Rhythm and Reflected Rhythm
How to Create Personal Distance with our Images
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...