A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: French basket bag knitalong anyone?  (Read 4128 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kristiface
« on: February 22, 2005 01:54:19 PM »

I found this pattern
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTfrenchmarket.html
on knitty and have been drooling over it ever since.  It's more complicated than any of the hats and scarves I've tried before! but I think it'll be a fun project.  Is anyone else interested in knitting along with me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
ctgirl
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005 02:41:39 PM »

I love felted bags and had liked this pattern as well.  I might join you, it will be a nice break from sweater knitting.  If I do make it, I'll probably knit it with a worsted weight yarn I have in my stash.  Looks like a fun bag to knit up and should be pretty quick.  A few of the measurements in the pattern look kinda wonky though (like a bag circumference of 44 inches.?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005 03:27:51 PM »

You're right.  I'm going to take the pattern to my knitting group and brainstorm a bit over the weekend, because there seems to be a couple of issues.  At the LYS the owner convinced me to go up in needle size (to an 8 ) as well, because she thought it would felt up better. I'll post whatever info I can find out once I get started on it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Charles Du Bos
xntrick
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005 08:09:04 AM »

I'm not knitting this but I did come across some interesting pictures on this blog the other day.  I thought it may or may not alleviate any worries about the size as you go along.  That's a direct link to the unfelted results.  Just scroll up for the felted results.   Smiley  (This blog also has a cute pattern for a button-hole bag that I must try some day.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005 03:44:41 PM by xntrick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005 12:56:54 PM »

OOoh, thanks for linking the blog-- that place is fantastic!  The post to the pre-felted bag is here: http://www.masondixonknitting.com/archives/2005_01.html#000825, and boy it DOES look huge.  But that answers ctgirl's questions about the circumference of the bag. 

I've started knitting the bottom of my bag, which I'm excited about (man I wish I were a faster knitter!).  I'm using Cascade 220 (in a reddish brown [2403] and a lighter khaki color). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Charles Du Bos
kaybee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005 01:22:22 PM »

i'm in the middle of knitting this bag---in a purple and blue bulky yarn. i'm only using one color for the whole thing.  i have about an inch to go before the handles.  it takes a while because each round is 200 stitches.  my daughter thinks she's getting this bag---but i think i like it too much and will keep it myself.

it's not complicated at all to make--i knit the bottom with regular needles--not dpn's---
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005 01:46:42 PM »

Oooh, feel free to post progress here!  I'd love to see how it's shaping up!

I'm knitting the bottom flat as well.  Do you like the shape?  I was a little concerned that the bottom might come out a little more square than it looks in the photo on the pattern, though I'm sure a sufficient amount of blocking could rectify that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Charles Du Bos
kaybee
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005 10:55:12 AM »

I am up to the handles---have done 2 out of 4 halves. it looks really good. i can't wait  to felt it. i took a picture,but have to wait for my daughter to put it up on the computer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaybee
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005 11:27:18 AM »

this is the bag with 2 handles done. i'm hoping to finish the handles tonight and sew them together tomorrow.it's really big and floppy---but i think it will felt up really well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 10:02:47 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaybee
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005 01:05:13 PM »

finished it today---i did the kitchener stitch for the first time---and it worked!!!!!!

i'll post pre and post felting pics tomorrow. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carving a Holiday Turkey
Learn how to Plate a Romantic Dinner for Two
Learn how to Make Tzatziki Sauce for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Make Lamb Chops for a Romantic Dinner
Learn How to Make Sweet Potato Puree for a Romantic Dinner
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...