A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turtle habitat upgrade, with photos  (Read 6780 times)
Tags for this thread: turtle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

megmoira
« on: July 27, 2008 09:10:27 AM »

I was thinking of having a witty title, like "amphibian eye for the reptile kind" but I went with a better description.  Cheesy

My fiancee's turtle (he's had her for 17 years) laid an egg earlier this week, prompting a name change from Donetello to Donna Tello. She's a Malayan Box Turtles - Cuora amboinensis, and would have been living in a rice paddy but instead she lives in our living room. 

Her old habitat was adequate, but he decided for his birthday (their anniversary) to upgrade her living conditions a bit. There aren't any good before shots, so I drew you a picture.

The action shot: We added a bag of pond rocks from Lowes (a hardware store for folks not in the USA) and they were quite silty, even after rinsing. The filter is slowly taking it out though. One one half of the tank we placed a coated-wire shoe rack, with slate rocks on it so she can have a dry place to hang out.  We also put one of those kitchen organization bins up there, after cutting a door for her so she can hide if she'd like to. The red rock is so she stops trying to go between the rack and the glass. 

Happy turtle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Assisted by my kitty, Isabella the Destroyer.~*~
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008 10:01:15 AM »

she looks happy!

but i have a question though. i know NOTHING about turtles, but is it normal for a turtle to lay and egg with no male present? and where is the egg now?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008 11:38:08 AM »

Wow, she does look happy.  I know nothing about turtles either, but 1boy1girl1kitty2, we had a bird that would lay eggs even though she had never seen a male.  We had to take the eggs from her cage b/c she would sit on them and and go a little nuts b/c they weren't hatching.  The vet told us just to take them out b/c they would rot and stink if she broke one.  The same with turtles???  Now there is research to be done!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
megmoira
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008 03:07:56 PM »

She laid the egg in her water dish, its been cleaned up (it broke).  I guess she just decided it was time.  This was her first egg. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Assisted by my kitty, Isabella the Destroyer.~*~
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville still rocks

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008 08:44:41 AM »

she looks happy!

but i have a question though. i know NOTHING about turtles, but is it normal for a turtle to lay and egg with no male present?

Smiley Even human females ovulate regularly without a mate; it's just a function of sexual maturity. Fertilization, of course, requires a male but ovulation takes place regardless.

I had two female cockatiels for several years; one laid a couple of eggs every year and engaged in nesting-type behavior, and the other one only laid one egg in her lifetime; just a difference in their female hormone levels, I suppose.

I think the turtle habitat is much improved. I'm sure Donna is very happy with it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragingpie

Craftalicious!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008 01:35:04 PM »

That is one swingin' turtle pad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PuppyHero
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008 08:53:43 AM »

very nice, I never thought of a kitchen bin to help with air/water flow for turtle tank set up.  I have a yellow bellied cootier that is 5 years old (Jelly Bean) and I am constantly trying to improve her cage. 

does she have a heat lamp for basking?  I am not sure about the Malayan Box Turtles needs.  I have one for Jelly Bean, she loves it and does this flying thing with her four legs all stretched out. 

hehe good luck with the not pushing the rack out of the way.  I think that is a turtles favorite pass time is to rearrange the tank to their specifications! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008 03:48:36 AM »

I LOVE THIS!!!! I have two small (half dollar sized) baby turtles, one red eared slider, and one yellow cooter, and I can't wait until they get bigger so I can design a way cooler enclosure for them!  Right now they are just in a 20gal tank half full of water with a floating rock and another bridge-sort of thing they can sun on.  Once they are bigger I can buy a bigger tank for them with more room to design!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...