A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Here is a recipe for lotion  (Read 714 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jmk3482
« on: August 26, 2008 03:55:47 PM »

I found this recipe on youtube with a tutorial. I tried it and it works great so I'm posting it here.

Here is the youtube video with the tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl8VYLtP4_w

Cocoa Butter Lotion

Oil Phase:
3 oz Cocoa Butter
2 oz Jojoba Oil
1 oz Fractionated Coconut oil
1.5 oz Emulsifying Wax

Water Phase:
11 oz Distilled Water
5 oz 10% grain alcohol or above (vodka)
1 tbsp glycerin

Equipment you need:
Digital kitchen scale
Two Microwaveable bowls, one larger than the other.
Stickblender
Spatula

Measure oil phase ingredients by weight using a digital kitchen scale and combine in the smaller microwavable bowl. Nuke at 50% power for 1 minute. Check and stir. Continue nuking and stirring until all the oils are melted together.

Measure water phase ingredients by weight in the other larger bowl, add glycerin and stick blend for 30 seconds. With the stick blender on low, blend the water phase and slowly trickle oils into water phase. Once it is mixed, continue blending for 2 minutes. The mix will be thin but will thicken as it cools.

At this point add scents and color if desired. Scent should be no more than 3% of the total batch weight. With this recipe, it would be no more than 3/4 of an ounce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://mysewingcircle.com/
A craft a day keeps the stabbiness away.
gigiallin
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008 04:24:26 PM »

Thanks for the recipe. I've always wanted to try making lotion. Where can you get e-wax other than ordering it online? Is it availiable at Hobby Lobby or Michaels?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jmk3482
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008 06:14:26 PM »

I am actually not sure where you can buy e-wax locally. I bought my e-wax as well as the fractionated coconut oil online. This is the site I used:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/

They have pretty much anything you need for making your own soap, lotion and other toiletries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008 01:10:00 AM »

I don't understand the inclusion of alcohol I guess. One of the main reasons I make my own lotions is so there isn't alcohol in it...it is very drying. Please explain.  Smiley  And you don't have a preservative...but maybe that's why the alcohol is in there...but I would rather use a preservative at .1% than alcohol at almost 22%. 

And you really should use a thermometer to get both the oil and water phase to 150 degrees each and then combine, microwaves are so very different.

Bramblebery is good for e-wax too. If you don't have glycerin, honey is an excellent sub (still used in water phase). In fact, I think it decreases drag on the skin while the lotion absorbs.

Not trying to be critical, but since it's not your recipe I wanted to point that out. I just think there are better recipes out there   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
jmk3482
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008 06:39:30 AM »

Please watch the youtube video I mentioned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl8VYLtP4_w

In the video, there is text that states the following:

10% or more grain alcohol will ensure that microbes do no grow. (In other words, the alcohol is your preservative.)

The text in the video goes on to read:

Alcohol will only strip oils from the skin if it is rinsed off or carries the oils away or is used constantly like a hand sanitizer.

The skin retains its oils if the alcohol is absorbed or evaporates.

The alcohol in this lotion will help the cocoa butter to soak into the skin more easily. It also lightens the feel of this rich lotion.

I mentioned in the first post that I have tried this recipe. I made this lotion just as I stated in the recipe, using the microwave and no thermometers. It worked perfectly just like in the video and the lotions feels great. It soaks in quickly and does not leave a greasy feeling. But it leaves the skin feeling moisturized and not dry.

Personally, I like the idea of using grain alcohol in my lotion because it is not a chemical or synthetic preservative. I am trying to create products without the use of chemicals as much as possible. If you use a commercial preservative, you will get a thicker lotion. And some people may want a thicker lotion or one that takes a little longer to soak in. I like this stuff because I can put it on at work and it doesn't leave my hands greasy. I can go right back to using my hands without the fear of leaving grease on everything I touch.

I am a novice at lotions, but this was the first video I found that really explains the process of making the lotion. That's why I tried it. It just happened to turn out really well. I wanted to post the recipe because there isn't a whole lot of that on this forum for newbies.

Hopefully, that helps explain a bit. Thanks.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008 06:45:01 AM by jmk3482 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - New Evening Bob Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - Side-Parted Ponytail Tutorial
Hairstyles in Vogue for Fall/Winter 2013
How Do I Make My Hair Look Good Between Shampoos?
How to Do 3 Types of Braids
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...