A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swimming Horse (baby quilt or lap quilt) - repurposed fabrics  (Read 1051 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TwistedTextiles

Superwoman-in-training

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 26, 2008 05:59:09 AM »

Made this one about a year or two ago, and just now dug it out to photograph and put a sleeve on the back.  Just thought I'd share with you all Smiley

I'm pretty sure I was inspired by the song "Swimming Horses" by Siouxsie & the Banshees...   Grin  It's about 30 inches square, a good size for a wee one to snuggle underneath.

The darkest brown on the horse is a "fake leather" fabric, and the hair is a coppery silk.  The rest is cotton, on which I used shibori techniques and Procion MX dyes. I used fleece for the back, and did some free-motion quilting in the water.

I also hand-stitched my name on the front using multi-colored thread, which was fun, but also very time-consuming. 
The way it did it:
(I hope this makes sense!) 
* BEFORE I quilted the three layers together, I decided I'd stitch this to show on the front of the quilt only, in the bottom corner.
* I signed my name in pen on a scrap of tracing paper, so I could flip it over and still see the words.
* I taped the paper in it's reversed form to the BACK of the quilt top.  Now I'm looking at my name, in mirror-image, on the backside of where I want it to be.
* Then using a needle and thread, I pierced the paper with backstitches, tracing my signature--still in reverse, but flipping occasionally to check that I've filled in everything.
* When you layer your quilt, the messier, underside of your signature will be on the inside of it, completely hidden.

Doing the signature this way, I didn't have to draw/write on the face of the quilt, but the signature still looks like my handwriting.  I can never get the machine to do free-motion with tiny words like that, and it never looks like I "wrote" it...I simply don't do cursive  Tongue

The binding...oh my gosh...I had NO idea how long it would take to hand-stitch that thing when I started it! I probably spent 4 hours stitching the binding to the back with minimum showage.  <--(In my vocabulary, I suppose that's a legitimate word today.)

On my blog, I posted a photo of the pencil sketch that I did for the horse:
http://www.twistedtextiles.com/2007/02/11/swimming-horses/

This smaller size was manageable, and I'm thinking of doing one in a similar size for my niece Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.twistedtextiles.com  <----My artistic ramblings (and gallery)
www.etsy.com/shop/twistedtextiles  <-----Etsy Shop
Linnybelle
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008 06:43:40 AM »

The quilt is beautiful and what a clever way to sign it.  I'll have to remember that one as I always forget to sign my quilts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008 07:28:46 AM »

I love it! I am so bookmarking as I can see so many neat variations. Pegasus flying in clouds, Horses running in a field A proud unicorn duel. Smiley
Very nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008 08:29:06 AM »

What a beautiful composition! It could just be wall art instead of being a baby quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008 02:42:38 PM »

I love this. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
amalgam
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008 07:52:11 PM »

This quilt is gorgeous! It has a real dreamy, surrealistic look to it. Clicking the "This Rocks" button...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with Regular Braided Joining
How to Improve Your Crochet Stitching Part 1/2
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with a Hexagonal Net Stitch
How to Improve Your Crochet Stitching Part 2/2
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with Regular Net Joining
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...