A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does anybody speak Ottobre?  (Read 795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

r3dh3d
« on: August 26, 2008 04:05:02 AM »

I am trying to make my first Ottobre garment.  It's dead simple, with an elasticated waist.  But Ottobre seems to like to put their elasticated waists on separately and I don't at all understand the instructions.   Embarrassed

So it's for some pants - at this point in the instructions we have put the pants together and are trying to attach the waistband...

Finish raw edge of waist casing allowance. Measure and adjust elastic to fit child's waist. Stitch ends of elastic together to form circle and mark circle into halves

so far so good.  I think they are referring to the strip of cloth that is the waistband when they say "waist casing allowance". 

Pin elastic to wrong side of waist casing allowance, along its outer edge. Align mid -point marks on elastic with center-front and center-back seams, and machine-baste elastic to waist casing allowance by sitching-in-the-ditch along pants seamlines from right side. Fold waist casing allowance and elastic to wrong side of garment and stitch casing in place through all layers along bottom edge of elastic, stretching elastic as you sew.

Eh?  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008 05:52:40 AM »

I can't help you, I am so useless with elastic.  It seems like it should be so simple, but I just don't get it.  What I usually end up doing in the end is just making a tunnel for the elastic.  (I know that's not right!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008 07:50:32 AM »

Pin elastic to wrong side of waist casing allowance, along its outer edge. Align mid -point marks on elastic with center-front and center-back seams, and machine-baste elastic to waist casing allowance by sitching-in-the-ditch along pants seamlines from right side. Fold waist casing allowance and elastic to wrong side of garment and stitch casing in place through all layers along bottom edge of elastic, stretching elastic as you sew.

The "outer edge" to which they refer is indeed the cut edge of the fabric. I don't know which pattern you're following, but assuming there are only front and back seams, then do this:

*You have a circle of elastic, mark it in half.

*Pin it at one mark to the center-front seam (on the wrong side of the fabric).

*Then pin the mark across to the center-back seam.

*Use a long stitch to baste through the side seams (up/down, not across) so the elastic is attached at those points.

*Then fold it over so the elastic is sandwiched in the fabric and stitch through all three layers (fabric, elastic, fabric) all the way around. Stretch the elastic as you go.

If there are also side seams, then mark the elastic in quarters and pin to front, back, and each side seam. Baste through each seam, then sew through everything.

Clear as mud?

I've found it easiest to just separate the sentences and figure them out one at a time before going to the next sentence. Also, you're not required to do it the way they say. If you have a preferred way, then do it that way. They haven't yet sent the sewing police to my house and I almost never do it exactly the way they suggest!

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
r3dh3d
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008 08:00:43 AM »

Aaaaaah.  Dimly, the light dawns.  Thankyou soooo much.

So there is no separate waistband.  I was conflating two patterns, due to them both being printed in orange on the page.  Now it's a lot simpler and the instructions make sort-of-sense though it's insane - there are box pleats in this so you will actually be sewing through --- frantic calculation ---fabric fabric fabric elastic fabric fabric fabric.  The suggested fabric is corduroy, btw.   Shocked  The machine is man enough, but I suspect it will gather up wonky once it's done. 

Ah well, do it once their way and then fiddle with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Hair Sprays for Hold
Hair Trends Straight From NYFW
Rachel Zoe To Open Blow Dry Bar
Grocery Store Glam: Make Your Own Shaving Cream
New York Fashion Week 2013: Crafting Runway Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...