A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,306
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Straps help--ninja turtle shell costumes  (Read 451 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2008 12:47:58 AM »

I'm making some ninja turtle costumes for my nephews and can't really think of a good way to attach the front shell to the back shell. Each piece is faux fur that I've sewed a turtle shell design onto the side that will face out, and then I'm sewing it together with another piece and stuffing the back shell slightly.  I was thinking of using webbing (is that the right name?) and making top straps and side straps, with the sides adjustable to tighten them, but I'm not really sure how to sew them on. If I just sew them onto the back shell while I'm sewing the two pieces together, that part makes sense, but then to get them into the front piece...I guess I need to leave gaps when I'm sewing it together, and then slide the straps in and topstitch? Does that make any kind of sense or does anyone have a better idea?

I want to finish these by the time my middle nephew turns 3 on sept 13. Also, I am making these for the two older boys, anybody have any ideas on something I could make turtle-ish of the same material for the baby (4 mo)? My boyfriend thought it would be cute to make something matching for him, but he spends most of his time on his back, so a turtle shell maybe not so great. Maybe just a big turtle shell pillow to prop him up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008 10:21:52 AM »

Webbing or belt strapping is a great thing to use for holding your shells together, personally I like the cotton type over the nylon, it's easier on the shoulders.
 If your machine is up to it, doing it the way you described is fine in the 'will it hold together"' category, where it could be troublesome is strapping + 2 doubled layers of fur = machine overload in many cases.
If getting the straps in the first side is the most your machine can do try this:
sew button holes in the loose ends of the straps & matching large buttons (by hand, but it's only a couple buttons) on the inside of the front shell. Easier for kids to get in & out of too. Smiley

Nylon belt strapping can be melted with a match or candle to keep it from fraying, cotton needs fray check or to be sewn.

note my signature...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008 11:28:39 AM »

Thanks so much for the ideas! I hadn't even thought if my machine could handle it...I think it could...but I'm at my sister in law's today working on her machine, which I don't like nearly as much as I like mine.

My nephew found the first shell back with the stitching and went nuts over it. He held it kinda over his butt and ran around until his cousin told him to hold it like a cape.

Costuming board would be cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Busting The Top 5 Hair Care Myths
Julia Roberts’ Amazing Updo from the 2001 Oscars
Bun and Sparkly Headband Hair Tutorial
Retro Futuristic Hairstyles at Delpozo NYFW 2014 Show
Reem Acra NYFW Fall 2014 Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...