A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your bad sewing habits?  (Read 30849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MinnieMay9
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2010 08:44:16 AM »

I just realized a few more!  I tend to pin things in the air.  I will hold the two edges above the rest and pin it that way.
Also, if it's a small piece in a good fabric, I tend to make the last few cuts holding it up too.  I was cutting out the pieces for my coffee cup cozies (using random craft scissors) and I would cut the first two sides with it laying down, but once it was free from the rest of the material, I just picked it up and cut the last two sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
lissaMN
« Reply #241 on: September 17, 2010 03:12:20 AM »

Putting pins in my mouth.  I even know of a woman who accidentally swallowed a pin, and I still do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissaMN
« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2010 02:27:28 AM »

* I save scraps of fabric that are too tiny for any reasonable use. (Maybe I'll start hiding them under the mulch around my house; if they've become a weed barrier, I needn't feel guilty for not using them.  Cheesy )

ooh, I like this idea.  I have a ton of garden space that needs mulch.  What a way to make it look pretty.  And no guilt, I'd be repurposing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brittanix
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2010 01:07:29 AM »

PINS EVERYWHERE. And I get overexcited when something is almost done, and wear it or use it, and neglect to go back and do other details that i'd originally planned, like facing or double stitching...cutting threads. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

::Today you are you, that's truer than true, there's no one alive who's youer than you:: -Dr.Seuss
N30Nb100d
« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2010 01:19:36 PM »

PINS EVERYWHERE. And I get overexcited when something is almost done, and wear it or use it, and neglect to go back and do other details that i'd originally planned, like facing or double stitching...cutting threads. Tongue

I'm with you on the finishing details. I just did this with a pair of pants... I wore them without putting any of the buttons on because I didn't have matching buttons (used pins instead to hold things closed). This was a few weeks ago now and my pants still don't have buttons. They've been put away in the closet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2010 09:33:27 PM »

1. Sew over pins.
2. Pins are never facing the same direction so when I try the garment on I get stabbed.
3. Never oil or clean machine unless there's a problem (aside from occasionally opening up the bobbin compartment and blowing the dust/thread fuzz out).
4. Never change needles unless they break.
5. Never change the foot (even when sewing zippers).
6. Hardly ever iron.
7. Have never washed the fabric beforehand.
8. Often use fabric glue instead of hemming because I am so damn lazy.
9. Forget to check fabric grain so the garment pulls in different directions.
10. Pin/cut patterns on my bed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010 09:35:03 PM by Sarah_ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
Pottersprincess
« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2010 05:18:17 PM »

1: I hold pins and needles in my mouth
2: Pinning in multiple directions
3: Using markers, whatever is around, to mark fabric
4: Using 'Tacky Glue' instead of pins for holding fabric together
5: Commandeering the entire 2nd floor lobby to sew in, I'm at college and have no space in my room
6: Not even owning a seam-ripper
7: Getting bitchy whenever someone touches my scissors
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fassett_kelly
Mental Patient

"You'll have to call back Monday..."

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2010 07:37:37 PM »

1.  Not having a proper pair of scissors for "fabric", "thread", and "other".
2.  Buying fabric and not having a project in mind, just because it looked pretty.
3.  Pins...ugh...drop, forget, hubby finds it in foot...always hubby, never me or the furry kids.
4.  Not putting things away...I have crap all over the apartment and it's a 1 bedroom and we're so cluttered...I've purged everything twice in the last 6 months and still have things that made it though as to "oh well I might need this later on..." and it ends up being something like a folder and I already have thousands of them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks,

Rhalina
sherrrry561
« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2010 08:11:38 PM »

I share many of the same bad habits already posted.   I think my worst one is that I cut thread with my teeth because I never have enough scissors around.  I do have one good pair that I only use for fabric and it's never near me when I need to cut the thread!  But I am trying to change that, went and bought more scissors for cutting everything other than fabric.

I hold pins between my lips, drop thread ends on the floor, leave pins everywhere, buy fabric on sale and never use it (got two boxes of it and no place to store the boxes!),  sometimes I will put pins on my shirt (up near my shoulder) so they are more handy and forget to take them out (not fun on wash day!).  Also, my sewing supplies are usually jumbled together in a cardboard box.

The worst times of the year are Halloween (I always make myself a costume) and if I do costumes for a theatre group I belong to......there's sewing stuff EVERYWHERE, thread, pins, fabric scraps....you name it and it's underfoot for a few weeks.  I am getting better and do not clog up the kitchen with sewing, I go upstairs to my Father In Law's dining room table (he's a disabled widower and never uses that table....and it's nice and big and I can leave my sewing there as long as I need to). 

I am improving on the organization part....bought some cheap plastic containers one for each: thread, patterns, sewing tools/notions, zippers/closures, fabric (there's several of those!).    I use a gallon size zip bag for patterns because I can never fold them small enough to get them back into those small envelopes.  It's quite a nice system...all the pattern pieces in an enclosed bag with the cover of the pattern on top of the pattern so I can see it easily.

I'm sure I've got more bad habits just can't think of them right now!

Oh wait, just thought of one.....Not using enough pins when cutting out my pattern and my cuts are choppy and uneven, this does not make for nice looking seam allowances so then I end up trying to make them look nice after I've sewn the seam by cutting them some more. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: December 29, 2010 12:49:11 AM »

7: Getting bitchy whenever someone touches my scissors
Yeah, that's SO not a bad sewing habit - that's wisdom in action.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Candy Corsage
How to Make a Bow Out of Ribbon
How to Make a Braided Flower Princess Crown
How to Make a Beanbag Chair
How to Make a Birch Bark Basket
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...