A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,852
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your bad sewing habits?  (Read 30874 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Toy
« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2010 04:54:10 AM »

I think it would be quicker for me to list my good habits and assume I do everything else wrong! The only good habits I can think of are that I tidy up in between projects (most of the time) and that I never mark fabric with the wrong kind of pen, but only because I never mark anything!

Also, I was given a huge stash of fabric, buttons, beads and general bits and pieces by my mum and my grandma so I don't often buy anything unless I need something specific, except once a year at the Knit & Stitch show, where I splurge a bit.

Bad habits wise, I never measure anything, never use patterns, always sew over my pins (whenever I bother to pin), rarely iron everything, put pins in my mouth, clothes, flesh (not usually on purpose), I never prewash, drop threads on the floor, find it hard to part with the smallest of scraps, abuse my scissors, always forget to change my machine needle and I even used to put two colours of thread on my bobbins (one underneath, one on top) as I never had enough but I finally got some more recently.

I'm entirely untaught at sewing (I would say 'self taught' but I haven't really taught myself anything, I just make it up as I go along) so I think I do literally everything wrong. I even thought you were supposed to sew over pins until reading this thread!

Nice to know I'm not alone though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hurts, doesn't it?
ShiloDisease
« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2010 08:42:48 PM »

I have a strange obsession with Tulle, Felt, and Ribbon. Like today, I bought Gray and Light Purple Felt for whatever reasons. I bought 3 spools of Tulle in the Wedding Section at Joanns (Only 2.99 each, I might add), in colors I'm only gonna use ONCE. Each spool is 25 yards, so now I have 24 yards of Purple, Blue, and Yellow. In Pastels.

I will stare at a unfinished project for hours, and then completely forget about it.

I 'modify' patterns, then they turn up weird looking.

I drop my hand-sewing needles all over the place, then end up either getting a needle in my foot or my dogs. Poor Marshmellow.

I've been sewing for years, and just bought my first thing of pins.

Same with the over-abundance of fabrics. I bought 1/2 a yard of felt and 1/2 of some floral design, because it was in Joanns Remains section.

I buy too little fabric. I bought black..... Tulle today and only got 1/2 a yard, when I need a whole yard. Or I pay for the fabric, forget how it looks like, place it somewhere in the store, and then realize that I just put away my oh-so important Pleather.... I mean fabric. Stupid pleather, looking like Cotton-Nylon blend from the back.

I end up making stuff that I'll never use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WANNA DO A PERSONAL SWAP!!!!:
Degrassi The Boiling Point Swap: I WOULD LOVE A ELI, ZANE, ADAM, CLAIRE, OR SAV DOLL!!!!
Repo! : Zydrate Syringe, please?
FLUFFEH PLUSHEH!!
DanniJo85
« Reply #232 on: August 22, 2010 08:38:39 AM »

My bad habits::::

-I never measure so most things come out too big because I'm nervous of it being too small.
-I throw my threads on the floor... I have white carpet and it looks awful.
-I hoard every little scrap. Scraps hav taken over my room.
-I never prewash.
-I make stuff that I have no use for.
-I feel that every piece of fabric has a purpose, I just don't know what it is yet.
-Pins are spread all over the table because I don't put them back in the pin cushion.

*I'm sure there's more bad habit but that's all I can think of right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be my facebook friend! Willow Grayson (the koala).

http://www.workinginthegreenroom.blogspot.com - My Blog!
http://www.vendio.com/stores/JoliVousHomemade - My Shop!
http://www.wists.com/MeanOrange - My Wist!
Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 22, 2010 02:03:26 PM »

My bad habits::::

-I throw my threads on the floor... I have white carpet and it looks awful.

Make yourself a rag rug and they'll blend right in. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DanniJo85
« Reply #234 on: August 22, 2010 02:31:09 PM »

Good idea, Airsucker!! LOL! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be my facebook friend! Willow Grayson (the koala).

http://www.workinginthegreenroom.blogspot.com - My Blog!
http://www.vendio.com/stores/JoliVousHomemade - My Shop!
http://www.wists.com/MeanOrange - My Wist!
RubyDoe
« Reply #235 on: August 23, 2010 12:39:45 PM »

Lordy, I am full of bad habits.

I usually have a beer or some wine while I am sewing, and I have the music pretty loud, so I can get "lost" in my own little world.

I def put pins in my mouth, and I pin backwards.

I am addicted to the remnants bin at the Crack (craft) Store.

I buy fabric that I REALLY like if it's ridiculously low priced, even if I have no idea what I will use it for.

I am slowly stock piling machines....

I almost never mark my fabric.

I destroy patterns. I hate this about myself, and I am working on rehabbing myself so I can preserve patterns, and use them again and again.

I am never exactly sure what needle to use with what thread.... so I just use one kind of thread and one kind of needle. I am remedying this this fall, however. I'm over it.

I talk about sewing to friends of mine my age who have no interest what so ever in sewing. Apparently I'm pretty lame. *rolls eyes*

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010 12:41:10 PM by RubyDoe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing Machines:

1954 Singer 319w
1951 Singer 15-91
Brother XR-7700
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2010 08:51:00 PM »

I've always been strict about prewashing and ironing my fabric.  I don't know why though - the only thing I can manage to iron is fabric (and never my actual clothes)...

I purchased my sewing machine in 2001, and have only oiled it once - and that was last month after going though this post for the first time.  I swear my machine hasn't behaved right since though, and I've vowed never to do it again.  I've also only changed the needle once, and that was in May 2001 when the original one broke sewing 4 layers of denim.  Don't ask me how I remember this... I have since purchased new needles, but have not actually used them.

I've been known to put pins in my mouth and I have no idea if I pin backwards.  I tried sewing over my pins to save time, but ended up bending a bunch of them.  Thank goodness I didn't break a needle or worse!  I tend to leave pins all over my sewing table as I remove them, thus having to pick them up before I do anything else.

I'm addicted to the remnant bin and the clearance fabric - and I very often buy fabric with no real project in mind.  I know the right project will come along eventually (and it often does)...  I've purchased the same pattern more than once - I'm not quite sure how that happened as I was certain that I had only drooled over the pattern and not actually bought it.

I save every scrap of fabric too - I tried using them as stuffing for a while, but they made everything too heavy and not soft enough.  I always leave little threads all over my sewing table.  I mark my fabric and trace patterns with a ballpoint pen or fine-tipped sharpie.  I've been known to sit on the floor and sew.  I often have ideas for a new project, buy everything needed to put it together, and then do nothing. 

Now that I've confessed all (or at least most) of my sewing sins, I'm going to say my "Hail Marys" and call it a night... Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MinnieMay9
« Reply #237 on: September 06, 2010 03:19:34 PM »

I also horde fabric/patterns (what the patterns were 90% off!!).
I tend to go a little fabric crazy when I think of a new project (like my coffee cup sleeves) and only make a few.
I back-sew the ends of all my seams too much, even when I know that seam is going to get sewn over.  Sometimes up to 2 or 3 times.  I even back-sew on my mom's machine, and it doesn't have a reverse.
I tend to just put pins on the nearest surface and hope I don't knock too many over before I can carry them to the pin cushion/box they came in.
I hunch while I sew, for some reason I feel the need to be only inches away from what I'm sewing.  I'm trying to get better at this.
I try and use bias tape as often as possible so I don't have to finish edges.
I used to sew over pins, but I've broken a few too many needles in the middle of a long seam to do that anymore.
Procrastinating.  Not sure why, I have so much fun once I actually start sewing!

Here is the super-odd thing I have to add:
I over pin.  I joke that my sewing projects are Screaming Metal Death Traps.  You can usually find a pin every half-inch to inch on most things I sew.  Even if it is a tiny thing made out of cotton, which pretty much sticks to itself (see, I know better XD)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
N30Nb100d
« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2010 04:59:51 PM »

I realized today while working on some pants that I have the awful habit of writing on the right side of fabric with stuff that doesn't come off. Then I end up with random colored marks all over the outside of the thing I'm making.
MinnieMay9: I have the opposite problem - I never remember to back stitch.
I also hunch like crazy; sometimes I worry the part that carries the thread to the needle and jumps up and down (does it have a name?) will hit me in the forehead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinnieMay9
« Reply #239 on: September 06, 2010 05:52:02 PM »

I also hunch like crazy; sometimes I worry the part that carries the thread to the needle and jumps up and down (does it have a name?) will hit me in the forehead.
I've actually had that thing hit the top of my glasses once XD  Luckily I was going real slow and it only startled me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Hot Valentine’s Day Lingerie Looks
Celebrities Show Off Sexy Fashion at AmfAR Gala
Top Makeover Tips from Lawrence Zarian
Fashion Staples to Stock Up on for Work
Have You Ever Looked as Good as Olivia Palermo in a Storm?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...