A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your bad sewing habits?  (Read 35068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lo{ve}
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2009 03:48:24 PM »

i have a terrible habbit of pulling pins out of my fabric and just laying them down, instead of putting them back in a pincushion. and when i sew in my family room i accidently leave pins all over the carpet! well, i'm quite used to stepping on them by now and it doesn't really bother me, BUT my poor room mates feet keep getting stabbed  Undecided woops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2009 11:36:15 PM »

Getting stuff 1/2 done, then setting it aside.
Buying more fabric for one certain pattern ... and not sewing it
Forgetting what I bought that 5 meters of denim for (Any ideas?)
Taking money for making newsboys, then taking 2 weeks to get it done.
Forgetting what I bought that white soft fabric for (Was it a nightgown, or a shirt? Maybe a poets shirt? Why'd I wrap 7 black buttons in with it?)
Collecting patterns for ... er ... someday
Buying another 5 meters of denim for ... what was it again?
going on Craftster when I ought be sewing ...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
christie.mcnabb
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2009 05:44:11 AM »

i could never really conform to "proper" sewing, so i do whatever feels right in the moment.  here are some of my (not so) shining examples:

biting thread to cut it, if no scissors present (or just in the other room and i'm too lazy to get them)

i, too, start too many projects and/or dream up projects that are too big for the time frame i have to finish them in

my craft supplies are currently strewn all over the floor of my closet b/c i don't provide ample storage

i don't know the names of any stitches i use...the truth is they are probably not even recognized stitches, but the hold the fabric together! 

i never knot correctly.

i prefer hand-stitching to my machine b/c it's more personal, but also hinders me finishing a project in any amount of time.

and i must say, for the record, that i don't feel any of this is "bad."  figuring out how to do it is part of the creativeness i crave when working on projects.  using a machine often feels like it's too fast and doesn't give me time to allow the project to develop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/christiemc83
http://www.livingisaprocess.wordpress.com

i am always open to a personal swap!  just pm me!
Padua
« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2009 07:58:56 AM »

I can be impatient sometimes and rush through my projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2009 03:54:45 PM »

Forgetting what I bought that 5 meters of denim for (Any ideas?)

Blue jeans for Big Bird?  Seriously I have no idea, but I know I've done the same thing before, maybe not with denim but definitely with other fabrics...

And then I've afraid to use it cause someday i might remember what it was actually for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
trutdelamode
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2009 07:31:01 AM »

i have a terrible habbit of pulling pins out of my fabric and just laying them down, instead of putting them back in a pincushion.

Me too Cheesy The first thing I actually finished was a pincushion, but so far I've never used it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mundy

When I grow up I want to be a dinosaur...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: December 14, 2009 07:55:45 AM »

I'm pretty terrible when it comes to patience for sewing either I get bored or frustrated and that usually means extra work sorting it out. I also usually make a mess, I'll clean up before I start but by the time I'm finished it takes forever to clean up and then I feel compelled to make another thing. I'm quite terrible also with remembering where my sewing equipment/fabric is, I can usually lose a pair of scissors within 10 minutes and a needle with 5. Finally in my head I'll usually have about 6 or 7 projects worked out, I'll buy the material and extras for it but usually it'll remain sadly in the recesses of my brain. I think it is fair to say I am a scatterbrain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dicentra
« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2009 12:37:36 PM »

I start to hunch over my work as I sew and sooner or later i'm parallel to the floor D=< it really kills my back&neck =(

Cutting out my fabric for a project....and then never doing anything further.

Never ever doing pleats....and always wanting to. I had a skirt almost all the way finished I just had to pleat it for it to be in one whole piece D=<

I'll thread my needle and then lose it. or I'll just get finished sewing something up and cut the thread and lose my needle. I'm sure that there are at least two sewing needles in every mattress I've ever owned.

Never estimating correctly how much thread I'm going to need, it's always too much or not enough.

When my clothes have reached that point where normal people would throw them out....I put them in the fabric bin.

When people say "I'm throwing out some old clothes...do you want to take any?" I look through it all and take half of it...if I won't wear it...I'll take it for fabric =X

Buying things that I know I'm going to have to fix up. "Oh well this dress is a size 4 and I'm a size 2....I CAN FIX THAT!" oh sweet dear dress closet...why are you so full?

Doing projects for others and never finishing my own.

Hems. They don't exist in my world.

Planning projects that I decide will include a sewing machine, both of mine are broken.

Owning TWO broke sewing machines.

Planning to buy a third one instead of repairing the other two -.-;

Not yet owning a dress form. Taking things on and off repetitively is getting pretty tiresome...yet I will not make a dress form...or buy one.

Not using patterns.

Being hella cheap =)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009 12:39:01 PM by Dicentra » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ApronStrings
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2009 07:47:27 AM »

I have soooo many-

-being a perfectionist! I work full time running my own business-have a one year old and I am pregnant-and my husband works a ton-i.e. I should just do the best I can and be thankful to have two mins to sew. I will sit on projects for a long time-because they've become 'not perfect.' I made my little girl a ball-and it was finished with the exception of closing the last seam-which wouldn't be perfect-so it sat, 99% finished for months! Finally, she got to it and played with it-so finally I sewed up the last seam.

-not reading the directions

-buying 5x more fabric than I need.

-starting new projects before I have finished the old.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickseedust
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2010 11:35:00 PM »

Being too lazy to change the thread in my machine. I justify it by saying it provides "contrast".

Many more that others have mentioned---pins everywhere!, too many projects, spending too much $$ at the fabric store, too many craft related hobbies in general.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Dragon
How to Draw a Leprechaun
How to Use a Pencil for Drawing
How to Create Caricatures
How to Draw a Lily
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...