A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your bad sewing habits?  (Read 30398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2009 08:04:05 AM »

I have had my sewing machine since 2004, and it has never been serviced, and it's only been cleaned once.

I'm really worried I'm going to jinx myself here...

I've had my sewing machine since I was 12 (I turn 31 next month) and I've never had it serviced, oiled or cleaned.  I do blow the dust/fabric bits out of the bobbin area though.

Sewing Gods, please don't strike me down now that I've admited it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
mranaedesigns
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2009 07:59:40 PM »

This is a great thread... thanks for starting it.

Honestly, I don't wash everything before I sew with it.
I justify this because I rarely make clothes... I mostly make wallets & totes, so I tell myself that no one would throw it in the wash anyhow.
I know this isn't completely true, but I plan on telling myself that still.
Also I sew over my pins and I do this even though I've broken needles & bent pins because of it.
I try to stop, but it's hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * * m .   r a n a e   d e s i g n s * * *
visit   @  http://mranaedesigns.com
shop  @  http://mranaedesigns.etsy.com
read  @  http://mranaedesigns.blogspot.com
Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

~Better than Alexander the Great~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2009 11:57:41 PM »

I also have a very bad habit of making a disaster of the craft room. It used to be my sisters until she got an apartment, and a lot of her old stuff is in there (I still need to get it all out.). But I end up putting all the fabric and supplies and whatnot into little piles on the floor, and it keeps building and building up until I only have a tiny bit of floor space for me to cut fabric on and such. I end up having to push the piles away from me, which gets them disorganized and then I loose things. I still can't find my scissors. Though they weren't that good anyways...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hats Don't Kill People. People IN Hats Kill People!
http://alexandra-the-great.webs.com/
http://www.wists.com/Alexandra-the-Great
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2009 07:15:52 PM »

well, let's see..

Getting too lazy to clear off my sewing table, and instead setting my machine on the floor to sew. I sit cross-legged (tailor style, appropriately enough) and put the presser foot under my knee. Gives me a horrible backache, though!

Watching movies while sewing. I know, I know, I need to focus on the sewing itself...but it's so hard for me to take hours of time away from reading! The next best thing (aside from audiobooks, which I've run out of) is turning on a movie or a playlist of TV show episodes, and sitting at the card table in front of the TV while I sew...or better yet, sitting on the floor!

The worst, I think, is that once I start sewing I don't want to get up and go ANYWHERE until that project is done. So, if I've forgotten anything I need (pincushion, seam ripper, shears) I'll just use whatever is handy. I pick out stitches with a needle or slice them with my rotary cutter (very, very, very carefully), I cut with the rotary cutter right on the arm of the sewing machine, and I very often use something not designed to be a pincushion, as a pincushion. Usually the edge of the table (it's vinyl topped), sometimes the front of my shirt, once the foot of some poor innocent stuffed animal my dogs had torn apart. Unfortunately, one of the dogs saw the foot on the table and pulled it down, ripped all the pins out, and carried it off! I found pins in the couch and carpet for almost a week T_T

Oh, and I always get nearly to the end of a project and give up on finishing the last little details, and instead use it as-is. All of my skirts are unhemmed, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2009 11:55:24 PM »

Just about ten minutes ago, I was sewing (I still am, but I am taking a break to write this). WEll, I have the horrible habit of sewing in my undies, since I am constantly trying things on and whatnot. Well, just ten minutes ago, I was prancing around my room in naught but my underwear and a tank top, trying things on and dancing to some 80's music, and singing, and sewing, when I realized that my very large window was open and the curtain was pulled all the way open...

My window faces my neighbors house. Specifically, it faces the side of their house that has the most windows.

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Oy-vey.

No more Undie-sewing for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2009 02:48:16 PM »

Just about ten minutes ago, I was sewing (I still am, but I am taking a break to write this). WEll, I have the horrible habit of sewing in my undies, since I am constantly trying things on and whatnot. Well, just ten minutes ago, I was prancing around my room in naught but my underwear and a tank top, trying things on and dancing to some 80's music, and singing, and sewing, when I realized that my very large window was open and the curtain was pulled all the way open...

My window faces my neighbors house. Specifically, it faces the side of their house that has the most windows.

I was working on something that required a lot of trying on so I stayed in my undies... of course that's when some Jehovah's witnesses came to the house, while the door was wide open, not even giving me a chance to get dressed. They sure got an unexpected show... and I still sew in my undies all the time  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2009 03:04:10 PM »

I was working on something that required a lot of trying on so I stayed in my undies... of course that's when some Jehovah's witnesses came to the house, while the door was wide open, not even giving me a chance to get dressed. They sure got an unexpected show... and I still sew in my undies all the time  Cheesy

Hahaha! Whoops! At least for me, there was only a chance of the neighbors seeing my rather undressed self. Shall we never learn?

Nope. I suppose not. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2009 01:12:29 AM »

I feel the same way after reading this thread as I did when I walked into my first AA meeting....like I found a home.

Lets see...

sewing in underwear, guilty
sharpie on fabric, guilty
pins in mouth, point in or out, guilty
EATING WHILE SEWING (even pizza or spaghetti. i've done it.), guilty
used to drink 'n sew. guilty
i smoke. this is not good. guilty
not pinning before cutting, guilty
slouching/hunching, guilty
not marking fabric, guilty
dumpster diving for finds, guilty
not ironing, guilty
not prewashing, guilty
not hemming, guilty
free hemming, guilty
improper tools, guilty
not cleaning/servicing machine, hardly every, guilty
not changing needles til one breaks, waaaaaaaaay guilty
wrong color thread, guilty
leaving the iron on, and ironing on the floor, guilty
ironing/sewing/cutting/pinning in front of the tv/chatting on the phone/cooking/etc, guilty
kitchen/all purpose shears for cutting fabric, guilty
path of sewing destruction that flows thru the house, guilty
hoarding, guilty
never, ever basting, guilty
saving every scrap, guilty
too many projects, guilty
using my son as a dress form/enlisting him in my crafting evil, guilty

many/most bad traits, learned with love from the original gangsta seamstress, good old mom.

i don't know if i have anything really unique, but man, i love this thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
clairely
« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2009 06:28:07 PM »

I track bits of thread everywhere! It ends up at school, on friends and family, I even found some in my undies (!!!) an hour ago. I have a trash can right next to my sewing machine that I specifically got for throwing away these things, but I usually just brush 'em off the table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2009 07:06:35 PM »

I track bits of thread everywhere! It ends up at school, on friends and family, I even found some in my undies (!!!) an hour ago. I have a trash can right next to my sewing machine that I specifically got for throwing away these things, but I usually just brush 'em off the table.

I have a trash can right there too... but when I drop thread in, it usually lands on the floor, or on the bit of the project that just happens to be laying in the trash can because of how I'm holding it  Roll Eyes (letting projects hang in the trash isn't a very good habit on its own either)
When I'm hand sewing, I tend to put thread on top of the pin cushion... I had a huge bunch of it there the other day, and now it's gone... I just know I'm going to find it stuck to something someday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to French Braid Pigtails
How to Curl Black Hair
How to Do a Prom Ponytail
How to Do a Side Ponytail
How to Style a Bob Haircut
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...