A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your bad sewing habits?  (Read 30810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2009 09:38:00 PM »

- I dont pin anything, just hold it as I go, it works most of the time
- I sew on the floor with a toddler and a dog helping
- There are bits of thread and pins all over the house
- there are also bits of fabric from clipping corners all over the place
- I dont iron anything either, I hate the iron, I just topstich if I need things to lay flatter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nightshadequeen
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2009 07:22:39 PM »

I never pin. I've been known to occasionally hair-clip, but no pinning.
That said, my pincushion stores needles; therefore, whenever I'm sewing (by hand), I grab the nearest needle and don't bother to match needle to fabric.
I use white thread on everything. That probably explains the next one.
I hate hemming. If it's something that'll fray, I'll bind the edges in t-shirt scraps (or if it's going to be a hidden edge, I lock it with rubber cement, or whatever the heck that blue-liquid-glue-stuff is.)
I don't mess with chalk, unless the fabric is really really dark. Washable markers work better, in my opinion.
I free-hand my way through most things. Have yet to use a pattern. Mostly just draft my own or trace something. I've used my tape measure about....three times?
Leaving a work-in-progress for months. I have....three? four? right now. I stuff them all into a bin and forget about them for six months, which probably explains how I managed to spend about five months on a single skirt.
Stuffing fabric scraps into a bin, not bothering to fold or anything. Hence why I need a new bin.
I'd rather "practice" hand-sewing than figure out the sewing machine. I get a thread-nest every time, and I don't know where the spare needles are. Or how to replace the needle. (I "borrowed" the machine from my mother, who doesn't use it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lifeinpolaroid
Life In Polaroid

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2009 07:46:20 AM »

Not having a properly organized/designated sewing are AND trying to watch TV and sew at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'every moment in your life is a chance to get it right'
Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

~Better than Alexander the Great~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2009 04:21:16 AM »

Ahh... Fabric grain? Was I supposed to pay attention to that?  Undecided I hadn't even ever acknowledged that fabric has a grain to it at all. Oops.

I have some truly dreadful sewing habits. And I really should work on them; it would make my life a lot easier, I think.

Mine:

-Sewing over pins. Why stop and try to take them out?
-Never changing needles until they break (mostly from the above reason). But I really don't understand the logic of changing the needles when they still work perfectly well.  Huh
-I use my 'fabric' scissors for many other things than fabric, simply because they are closest to me.
-Not ever using patterns (I don't know how to read them anyways).
-Not using pin cushions.
-Hastily measuring or cutting something.
-Jumping in without knowing what I am doing.
-Hording every bit of scrap fabric.
-Felt is an awful habit of mine. I buy so much felt, it is ridiculous. But I never seem to have enough of the right color or something. And buying felt makes me happy. The cashiers at Joannes are always asking me why I need so much felt. I honestly don't know.
-I seam ripping/cutting with x-acto knife.
-Holding pins in my mouth.
-Sewing in my underwear. Though I frequently am trying things on, so...
-Getting hasty/impatient with sewing and going to fast or not thinking things through.

And my WORST habit::

-I keep all my pins in the little plastic containers I buy them in, and when I am pinning, I grab them from there. I also usually have one container on the floor and one container on the desk. No matter how careful I TRY to be, I am ALWAYS knocking them over and spilling them all over the carpet. I have done it three times in one night. The thing is, the pins are the type that don't have the colorful ball on the end or anything of that sort. Just the straight metal. So they instantly get buried into the carpet. And I walk in the craft room with barefeet, as well as sitting on the ground to cut and pin fabric in my undies. Ow.  Cheesy

I probably have tons more that I am forgetting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hats Don't Kill People. People IN Hats Kill People!
http://alexandra-the-great.webs.com/
http://www.wists.com/Alexandra-the-Great
de_sjiem
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2009 03:22:54 PM »

And my WORST habit::

-I keep all my pins in the little plastic containers I buy them in, and when I am pinning, I grab them from there. I also usually have one container on the floor and one container on the desk. No matter how careful I TRY to be, I am ALWAYS knocking them over and spilling them all over the carpet. I have done it three times in one night. The thing is, the pins are the type that don't have the colorful ball on the end or anything of that sort. Just the straight metal. So they instantly get buried into the carpet. And I walk in the craft room with barefeet, as well as sitting on the ground to cut and pin fabric in my undies. Ow.  Cheesy

Get yourself a really big, super strong magnet... and then keep it near your sewing desk (if you have an electronic machine, keep it away from that).  Then, when you spill your pins, wave it over the ground where you just spilled the pins.  It will pull most of the pins up, so that you will be less likely to step on them... I have one, and am ALWAYS spilling pins, or they are knocked over by the cats.. They are great... (I also keep one on my sewing machine bed to throw the pins at while sewing (I usually try to remove the pins, unless its really shifty fabric)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
penguinade
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2009 11:16:17 AM »

This thread makes me cringe!

Pins in my mouth:  guilty

Sewing/Pressing while not fully dressed:  guilty

Not transferring markings or pinning fully:  for major curves (bust points on princess seams, sleeves) I'm innocent, but otherwise guilty

Not oiling machine:  guilty for my singer, innocent for my bernina (she gets babied because she's at home with the type of sewers who don't segregate their pincushions by pin type)

Dropping magnetic pincushions:  guilty

Not making muslins or checking fit:  guilty (I'm so consistently a pattern size 10 that I maintain that if it does not fit, it is the pattern's fault)

Throwing pattern pieces on the floor and then getting angry when the heat turns on and they fly all over:  guilty

Trading my (large-ish) bedroom for my (small-ish) sewing room:  guilty, but that's a good habit, right?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://penguinade.tumblr.com/
Saving the world, one dancing penguin at a time
N30Nb100d
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2009 03:51:10 PM »

I haven't been sewing too long... but it seems I start with all the bad habits:
holding pins/needles in my mouth... while running... and sewing at the same time, using my teeth to break thread, not being dressed (funny story there... my mom and I were working on an outfit for a sea themed event that was happening way too soon for me to get dressed between sewing and fitting... the door bell rang and I ran out to answer it in my underwear... only to meet a group of people talking about the bible...oops), not using patterns, not paying attention to fabric grain or type for that matter, undertaking projects that are way too complicated for my skill level (ironically, it's the complicated stuff that ends up wearable while the "easy" stuff gets thrown in a bin because it comes out looking terrible), never finishing a project (I swear... this summer... I'll finish everything... and start another dozen things that won't be done for a year) lots of other things too... and we're supposed to change needles even though they're not broken? that's news to me.
Something kind of opposite: instead of using the fabric scissors for things other than fabric, I always end up using the non-fabric scissors for fabric. They always cut better  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

~Better than Alexander the Great~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2009 07:56:24 PM »

Usually when I am cutting, i grab whatever I have closest to me, whether it is scissors, an X-acto knife, old X-acto blades, anything really.

I also have an awful habit of thinking I am better at sewing than I really am. So I start taking short cuts and whatnot, that usually end up ruining whatever I am doing. Or I get really machine happy and start sewing without thinking about what I am doing.

I am starting to think that since all of us have most of the same bad habits, that it isn't a bad habit anymore and just the norm?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hats Don't Kill People. People IN Hats Kill People!
http://alexandra-the-great.webs.com/
http://www.wists.com/Alexandra-the-Great
N30Nb100d
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2009 08:58:17 PM »

I am starting to think that since all of us have most of the same bad habits, that it isn't a bad habit anymore and just the norm?

I was actually going to say that too... but then I figured it's like smoking... just because a lot of people do it, doesn't make it any less of a bad habit... sewing may also be just as addictive  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2009 09:01:51 PM »

The worst habit I have is forgetting to gate the dogs out of the sewing room.  As a result, I have had 2 power cords chewed up (about $70 to replace, so I just mended with some electrical tape), had one dog who would lean on the foot peddle so the machine would start "on its own".  One dog ate a twin needle without my knowing it.  Had to go to the vet for a different reason and my vet was perplexed by the object in the xray.  Said to leave it alone, but I had to put my dog down because of a very large spleenic tumor so it never had a chance to pass.  One dog likes to steal things from the sewing room to get my attention.  Another dog likes to chew on whatever she can find.  Thread can be deadly, and I tend to have lots of thread ends lying around the floor.

Other bad habits:  not estimating the time needed to completion, not completing a project, having several started but incomplete.

Use to have a really bad stash problem....recently started selling it off....a better investment than some stocks.  Now I view fabric stores (as well as yarn stores and other crafty stores) as my off-site storage facility.  I own every fabric in the world, I just have to pay a retrieval fee to get it, and it does not sit gathering dust or fading in my house.

My sewing room is totally cluttered up.  I am actually organized and well stocked, but I have far to much crap in my sewing room.

SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The No-Fail Guide to Pool Party Style This Summer
Wedding Guest Style Tips
Wardrobe Tips with Lawrence Zarian
Simple NYC Street Style - The Easiest Way to Dress Cool
What to Wear When Shopping
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...