A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your bad sewing habits?  (Read 30363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2008 04:23:09 PM »

-using my specialy labeled ' fabric only' scissors to cut paper then being a nazi about others using them

I'm a total scissor nazi... When my boyfriend first started staying at my house, I had the "You know, If I was to catch you using my fabric scissors to cut paper, I will have to stab you in the neck with them" talk.

He knows.

And DorrieBelle, I'm in exactly the same boat as you! I make sure now that if I'm buying second-hand clothes for the fabric or recons, I try to make sure that it's for good quality fabrics (or sometimes for a nice print). Oh, the perils of having an op-shop directly across from the office...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
SpicyChicaLisaAnn

love, life & craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2008 12:26:55 PM »

Oh you gals are too funny! But I can relate... sewing over pins (by why slow down to pull them out?)  Roll Eyes  Also slouching... like crafting doesn't do enough to my back already. Also I always tell myself that I'm going to use big, long, easy to take out if things don't come out the right way the first time stitches- but end up sewing stitches that are too small to rip out when the finished project has less than strait lines, ugh- then my fabric gets ruined trying to redo it... can you tell I JUST experienced this.. hahaa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NixArmageddon
Generosity of Spirit

Hand in unloveable hand...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2008 02:22:24 PM »

I no longer sew over pins, and in fact I've started using them. I've also started ironing and prepping the fabric.

I guess my bad habits would include...
- Not working on lining things up as much.
- Not planning things out and sort of just jumping in.
- Making a HUGE mess in my sewing area.
- I don't know if this is a "bad habit" so much as a lack of skills or patience, but I tend to not sew straight lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2008 03:23:19 PM »

I never change my needle unless it starts making a funny sound when it goes into the fabric. And I never use the right needles for the fabric, either. Just universals. Why would I want to waste so many perfectly good needles by changing them every project? Wink

I also skip ironing the seams as much as I can get away with. And I leave my works in progress spread out all over the livingroom, which makes the BF angry. I also sew in my underwear and hold pins in my mouth. 

And I never think things through properly before stitching away. Later I try to pull something right-side out and realize that my method does not work with the laws of physics. Stupid physics! Always making me rip out seams!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

......................................I like bunnies!
UUmom2many
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2008 01:18:14 AM »

-using my specialy labeled ' fabric only' scissors to cut paper

Shocked  That's probably the one thing I'm super careful about!  Cheesy 
me to!

Its really only paper with patterns printed on it but it can sometimes be printer paper as a lot of my patterns are pdf's but it's still paper...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crystal

Homeschooling mom to five, 2 with special needs. Fabric hoarder, urban homesteader, writer, weight lifter and general crafty bitch.
isadora12000
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2008 06:12:57 AM »

I learned lots of my bad habits from my mom, aunt and grandma as they taught me to sew growing up, but I definitely picked up a few of my own over the years

-Using our pool table as a sewing table
-Leaving a big mess on the sewing table, but the cats love to play with all the bits of left over string and fabric cut offs!
-Slouching yes I am a horrible craft sloucher!
-Holding pins in my mouth is that a bad habit? I didnt think so until a few people mentioned it, humm, that was a learned habit for me.
-Not always prewashing
-Never ironing my seams, though I have started to iron my hems before I sew them.
-And too many more to probably list....

I had the these scissors are for fabrics only talk with my husband so many times I just started to hide them. Boys!   Roll Eyes   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Consider what ideas are lost by censorship.
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2008 06:40:36 AM »

I'm a bad sloucher as well, I always lean over my work. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2008 11:16:14 AM »

I have to say..reading this thread makes me feel a lot better about my sewing habits.   Grin  That said, I do have a few bad ones of my own:

- hoarding patterns - I just discovered 10 cent patterns at a local thrift shop...help!
- hoarding fabric - although I've gotten a bit better lately.  My big problem is buying cheap stuff just because it's cheap, then later realizing that it's not going to magically turn into something I'll enjoy wearing...
- unnecessary anxiety about cutting into fabric - this is just silly and I need to snap out of it
- leaving my sewing machine lights on and iron on after I'm done sewing..   Shocked  My iron has an auto-off feature, but it's still not a good thing to leave it plugged in.
- not completely removing basting threads, thread markings, and ripped out stitching before moving on - sometimes stray threads get caught in seams and are annoying to get out.  And sometimes I don't notice a yellow thread hanging the outseam of my dark jeans until I've worn them several times..   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2008 09:13:32 PM »

* I put pins in my mouth. (I mean, really, the chances of sucking one down is remote! Which no doubt will be a great comfort to me when I'm having surgery to remove one from my esophagus.)

* I don't change my needle nearly so often as the experts say I should. ("After every project"--like every project is the same size! And if it's working why bother? "After every five hours of sewing"--who in the heck times themselves?!)

* I save scraps of fabric that are too tiny for any reasonable use. (Maybe I'll start hiding them under the mulch around my house; if they've become a weed barrier, I needn't feel guilty for not using them.  Cheesy )

* I try all too often to get away with improper, "one-pass" application of bias binding. (This actually works great on certain projects, but I lazily try to make it work on other projects and create more work for myself.)

* Procrastination! (I will sew no cut-out pattern pieces before their time. Or cut any fabric that has not aged, or...)

* I still sometimes sew over pins, although much less often than I did before I finally hit one with the sm needle.

* I frequently walk in my sewing room barefoot. (For why that's bad, see below.)

And two things that I could swear aren't bad habits, yet facts suggest otherwise:

* I could swear I have good posture and generally good ergonomics, yet sewing for a while often leaves me with some aching in my upper back.

* I am 99.9% certain I am very careful with my pins, yet somehow pins end up buried in the carpet.

Also I've somehow managed to break two seam rippers over the years, even though I'm sure I have a gentle touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2008 01:24:02 AM »

wifeofbath, maybe you could use those really tiny pieces of fabric to make a quilt for a doll's house?  I think that would be amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 7/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 2/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 5/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Garland Part 2/3
How to Crochet a Christmas Garland Part 3/3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...