A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your bad sewing habits?  (Read 29892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kstaron
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2008 06:53:12 PM »

biting thread (actually learned this one from my mom)

holding onto every bit of scrap because I might use it .... someday (yeah right)

not bothering to press fabric (my poor iron sees no action at all)

Not taking the time to clip seams as much as I should (hello lumpy seam)

Never cleaning/oiling my machine(need to drop off at the sew N vac soon!)

Having 400 projects in progress so I start another (This has gotten better since I started using a spreadsheet to track what I've done. I have two sheets, one for stuff I've done and one for stuff I'm doing or want to do.  I list what I've done so I can see how productive I've been, which gives me warm fuzzies and then the other list lets me see what I'm doing, who its for, when I need it by and anything I need that holding up the project.  I sort it by due date so I get the stuff for my daughters birthday done before I wander off to make myself a pair of PJ's which has no pressing time limit.  Helped me with a swap, my daughters birthday and getting stuff ready for the holidays.)

Using the kitchen scissors to cut fabric instead of my fabric scissors

Never going with a pattern (given into this one and now mostly just draft my own on the fly)

I'm sure I've got loads more, but as long as I'm finishing up some stuff at some point it's all in a good day's crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karataylor
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2008 07:23:06 PM »

I've got underpants sewing, hoarding, & being too lazy to press for sure. I press if it's something "nice" I'm making or if it's for someone else [or sale], but I'm always cutting corners on things for myself.

I never measure. 99% of the time, it's fine, but every once in a while, it bites me in the ass.

I'm always too lazy to change my thread color, especially if it's on the inside hems & doesn't show.

Hemming & topstitching gets put off all the time.

I build things in improper order sometimes, but I'm not too bad with that one. I've got most things down to a science concerning efficiency haha.

I NEVER oil my sewing machine OR my serger. I'm bad with watching my thread tension too. I do change my needles though!

I only pin sometimes [with pins in my mouth, of course], but I usually don't chalk mark like I should.

And probably the one that ends up being the biggest problem is that I never make patterns of things I draft myself. I'll do something on the fly [like I do everything], end up loving the end result, & sadly, have to either abandon it or start from scratch if I want to make another.

I also always mean to take more notes & do process shots & never have the patience for it hahha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiberartist219
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2008 10:23:58 AM »

I have had my sewing machine since 2004, and it has never been serviced, and it's only been cleaned once.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fionasmom
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2008 11:41:05 AM »

okay....  where to start...

I drink while I sew
I open buttonholes with a seam ripper
I start many projects at the same time
I lack confidence and I dont wear my clothes
there is melted plastic bag goo on my brand new iron

you know what?  I love sewing!  I do it all day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's four o'clock somewhere.
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2008 05:07:25 AM »

there is melted plastic bag goo on my brand new iron

This just made me chuckle -- probably because I can so relate!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouse1996
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2008 05:55:44 AM »

I open buttonholes with a seam ripper

This isn't how to do it?  But I was taught to do it this way in senior grade sewing class.  I feel so betrayed.   Cheesy

My big issue at the mo' is my machine has never been cleaned or oiled.  Bought the oil, never used it.  And have not cleaned it.  I did run over some needles with it also, but purely by accident because I didn't take them out in time.  But not the tension seems offish.  So, *sigh* it may need service.  But its nice to know I'm not the only one with a machine in need of some TLC.

Mouse
THIS ROCKS   Logged
UUmom2many
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2008 11:53:50 AM »

umm lets see..

-not pinning at all
-not measuring before cutting
-not using the right machine needle for the fabric
-being lazy and not changing bobbin/thread so I end up with thread that dosen't match or bobbin -top threads that don't match
-using my specialy labeled ' fabric only' scissors to cut paper then being a nazi about others using them
-buying fabric because I like it or it's cheap and never getting around to using it
-buying loads of patterns and never using them

I do at least one of these every time I craft. I'm so naughty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crystal

Homeschooling mom to five, 2 with special needs. Fabric hoarder, urban homesteader, writer, weight lifter and general crafty bitch.
DorrieBelle
Loves to customize dolls found at yard sales !

Pleased to meet you !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2008 10:46:22 AM »

Oh, I forgot the BIGGIE ! My worst sin of all that I've been paying for over and over...

I find wonderful fabrics, really cheap ! Velvets and silks and embroidered pieces, furs, fine leathers, great cotton prints ...you name it. Only one problem - I find 'em as clothes. I can use 'em, since I mostly sew doll clothes, but to get from 'shirt' to 'usable fabric', everything has to be cut up and washed and stored. This takes forever, generates some waste, and takes up a lot of space. And even with all the effort, it's no guarantee I'll ever get around to using some of it, much less all.

While I relish the 'stuff a Mal-Wart sack for a dollar' sales at thrift shops and yard sales, after spending most of my 'craft' time for the last two months cutting and bundling and organizing, this'll have to be the year I say 'no more' !

Can you believe I had three different 'dark blue velvet' garments in the Big Bin of Clothes To Cut Up for Fabric and Fun ? I ended up donating two bagloads of uncut clothes back to the thrifts ! Even cheap, it isn't a wise way to spend money or time...

Dorrie, whose fabric hoarding goes in strange directions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2008 10:59:06 AM »

-using my specialy labeled ' fabric only' scissors to cut paper

Shocked  That's probably the one thing I'm super careful about!  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2008 11:38:12 AM »

-using my specialy labeled ' fabric only' scissors to cut paper

Shocked  That's probably the one thing I'm super careful about!  Cheesy 
me to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Save or Spend: Holiday Edition Part 1
Style in Woody Allen Films
Luxe Holiday Party Dressing Ideas
3 Ways to Wear the Patterned Suit Trend
How to Wear Winter White
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...