A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many machines do you have?  (Read 5045 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angeltreats
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008 02:18:04 AM »

I'm up to 5 machines now and I've told myself that I have to get rid of one to get one so I've been very good about not adding more. That is until I see a really good one at a good price;)

That's exactly what I'm telling myself.  Unfortunately I could never part with any of my machines, but there are so many I really want... what I really need is a bigger house. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008 08:22:33 PM »

Very old (1950s?) Coronado Precision De-Luxe from the Sally Ann for $10.  This has an external motor and is heavier than a brick .... house (fill it in!) The only problem is that when I plug the machine in the motor starts running about a million miles per hour and there is no off button.  The foot pedal does nothing for it.  My dad is going to take a look at it tomorrow to see what can be done.

I know I am quoting myself, but I have a tip which should have been self evident, but....
Apparently it takes someone who knows about motors and electricity and that type of thing... Thank you goes out to my father! 

This machine has a dual plug-in built into the carrying case, which the lightbulb and the motor plug into separately (see another poster's photo on the previous page).  The foot pedal and plug-in to the wall are wired into this.  When I got this machine it did not occur to me that perhaps the plug in for the light could be always carrying electricity if the wall plug was in....  Basically I had to switch the motor and light bulb cords to the other plug-ins!  I feel silly but if this can help someone in the future then I am glad to share.  the motor is fine, it just needs the 50 year old dust cleaned out, and some oil.  My father is going to do that.  The foot may need replacing but he will check that out.  I am probably going to mount this onto my Singer 15-90 instead. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008 08:27:39 PM by Michellegio_sew » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008 03:32:41 PM »

OH I love Sewing machines.... ESP those vintage Girls!

Here's my list:

Vintage Necchi SuperNova Ultra ~ Girly Pink
Vintgage Necchi BU Mira ~ Spew Green
Vintage Singer 99-15 ~ Blak Fantastak
Vintage Singer 99k ~ Blak Fantastak
Vintage Singer 99-15 ~ Blak Fantastak (yes I have TWO of these)

New Brother (I don't know the model, I hardly EVER use it but who would blame me when I have such cool "old ladies" hangin around the sewing room)
Newer White Serger (no clue on the model of this one either but it's nice)

... I'm always on the lookout for Oldies!

Here's a coupla pics of my Necchis:

See I told ya she was "spew Green" LOL  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008 11:11:15 PM »

I have just one (what is wrong with me?!) - a 1957 Singer. Not sure of the model number. Model number is 404. It has been the best! I would love to try out and buy a serger.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008 11:41:53 PM by playswithneedles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
angeltreats
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008 11:54:17 PM »

Vintage Necchi SuperNova Ultra ~ Girly Pink

What do you think of this machine?  I was offered a similar one a few years ago - a Lelia 513 but it looked almost identical except green.  I sat and had a play with it and really didn't get on with it at all, I found the threading very fiddly and it really just didn't suit me.  Annoyingly the zig zag mechanism had seized up so I couldn't play with that (although I'm sure it would have been easily fixable with some oil and a hairdryer!). 

They are very pretty though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008 05:51:03 PM »

Angel: Oh Don't know how she runs just yet, as I brought her home just about 4 days ago and have to make space in my sewing room for her cabinet (which needs a good cleaning and painting, LOL, YES! I am speaking of both the sewing room AND the Necchi's cabinet). I have heard that they can be a bit "tempermental" to sew with however I am hopeful. I shall certainly let you know how she runs once I get everything sorted out and start working with her. 80)

Thank You for the Compliments, I feel VERY fortunate to have found her, She was Very well loved by her previous owner, and her grandson (in his 50's) chose me to be her new home.... oh the Nostalgia of it all, hmmmmmm.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008 05:52:59 PM by FLooZySue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
xangomommy
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008 06:14:34 PM »

Just added another one today. She was given to me by a friend who has an antique business.

A Singer 66 Redeye born on Sept. 5, 1917 in Elizabeth, NJ.

She is missing a plate and has some rusting but her decals are intact. Her beauty still shows through the dirt and grime. Her cords are cut or missing so she may be my first attempt to convert into a hand crank.

By the way, I did stick with my 5 only rule...I had sold one earlier this week:)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008 06:15:42 PM by xangomommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2008 10:01:56 PM »

Just added another one today. She was given to me by a friend who has an antique business.

A Singer 66 Redeye born on Sept. 5, 1917 in Elizabeth, NJ.

She is missing a plate and has some rusting but her decals are intact. Her beauty still shows through the dirt and grime. Her cords are cut or missing so she may be my first attempt to convert into a hand crank.

By the way, I did stick with my 5 only rule...I had sold one earlier this week:)

Those are probably my favorite Singer Decals Ever!  (Thats saying something because I have never seen one like that).  It is just beautiful. 

I came across a website that should have original parts for that, like the plate.  PM me and I will find it if you want, they sent me an email after I inquired about shipping to Canada.  I am pretty sure they are in the USA.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008 03:37:19 AM »

2 - one regular (my mom's old one) and a embroidery machine ( brother se-350).

I had another machine, but the Singer that mom had didn't like her, and so I gave her my singer. Replaced mine with the brother Cheesy And got hers (really basic one - straight, zigzag and buttonhole stitches - no free arm, either).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
SpottedFrog
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2008 08:53:37 AM »

Xangomommy you wouldn't have wanted to run that machine with it's old cloth covered plug wires anyway- scary fire hazard! Good News: replacing an electrical cord on that age machine is wonderfully easy Smiley or if you convert to hand crank it should be easy (heck it might have been a hand crank).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
How to Make a Traditional Baked Easter Ham
How to Make Corn Dogs
How to Make Corn Chowder
How to Make Deep Fried Beer
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...