A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many machines do you have?  (Read 5091 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2008 12:35:33 PM »

Xangomommy you wouldn't have wanted to run that machine with it's old cloth covered plug wires anyway- scary fire hazard! Good News: replacing an electrical cord on that age machine is wonderfully easy Smiley or if you convert to hand crank it should be easy (heck it might have been a hand crank).
Exactly! To have the wiring on my singer fixed was like 25.00 and the guy gave me a new power cord. That was safe and not fabric covered. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xangomommy
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008 01:36:15 PM »

Penlow and Eliea - I have been told that it's fairly easy to do a do-it-yourself cord change. If you have instructions on them, I'd love a copy. I took a class once on how to do simple electrical repairs...light switches, putting in dimmers and such ... so I'm guessing I may be able to do it myself with the proper instructions.

Thanks for your input:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008 09:51:14 PM »

If you have a text book from that class I bet it's got a section or replacing lamp cords or making lamps. Wouldn't be too different Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xangomommy
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008 09:10:36 PM »

Thanks Penlowe. Unfortunately, it wasn't that type of class. It was at a community center so we had no books. I'm going to try the library though to see what I can find on instructions.

Edited:  In keeping with this thread, I forgot to mention that I am up to 7 with my newest edition I posted on the Let's See Your Sewing Machine thread.  I said I was only going to have  5 at a time so I'm considering selling a couple -- just not sure which 2.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008 04:03:32 PM by xangomommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
splenda

you're standing on my neck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2008 10:36:30 AM »

I have three at the moment. I've had a total of 6 machines.
Currently:
-Viking Husqvarna 180 from 1986. It was my moms and my most used machine
-Precision Sovereign Sewing Machine (a generic made in japan from 1950s. Its not running quite yet as it needs a new food pedeal)
-Singer Slant o matic 500a. My friend's mother GAVE this beautiful machine to me. here is a picture after i cleaned it:

In the past I had:
-Industrial Universal Zig Zag Deluxe Sewing Machine (another generic from japan in the 1950s. i regret selling it)
-Singer 640 Touch N Sew (Sold it)
-Kenmore 158 (sold it)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008 10:39:06 AM by splenda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now there's a look in your eyes,
like black holes in the sky
Shine on you craaaaaazy diamond.
splenda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008 10:49:14 AM »

Very old (1950s?) Coronado Precision De-Luxe from the Sally Ann for $10.  This has an external motor and is heavier than a brick .... house (fill it in!) The only problem is that when I plug the machine in the motor starts running about a million miles per hour and there is no off button.  The foot pedal does nothing for it.  My dad is going to take a look at it tomorrow to see what can be done.

I'm in the same boat. I don't even have a foot pedal for it. I figured the foot pedal plugged into the machine but i don't see a place for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2008 11:38:09 AM »

I'm in the same boat. I don't even have a foot pedal for it. I figured the foot pedal plugged into the machine but i don't see a place for that.

the coronado plugged into an external plug in.  It was attached to the base of the carrying case. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
splenda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008 06:55:17 AM »

the coronado plugged into an external plug in.  It was attached to the base of the carrying case. 

That could be a problem... This one came in a sewing cabinet but had no carrying case. Wah. Oh well, it only cost me 8 bucks. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fruity75
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2008 05:03:03 PM »

I have a Janome 3400 (I think) 2006, I gave my brother machine away when I bought this (don't miss it either) I do miss my 1886 Ward's treadle, purchased for $10, quite unique...sorry to say I sold it for $50 because I moved. I have a 1951 Singer at my neighbor's attic, well I gave it to them and they said I can have it back at anytime, so I might take them up on it. I have a serger I bought new in 95.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2008 07:05:33 AM »

That could be a problem... This one came in a sewing cabinet but had no carrying case. Wah. Oh well, it only cost me 8 bucks. 

I found the part you need once on this website:
http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland.com/store/index.html
just incase you are interested! It looks like a power outlet on your wall, only not on your wall and in a case!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...