A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many machines do you have?  (Read 5487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fionasmom
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008 07:14:32 PM »

i'm currently on the market for a coverstitch machine (i was just going to upgrade to the babylock evolve, but i borrowed my mom's and think i'd rather have 2 seperate machines for serging and coverstitch)

that is exactly what the seller at the sewing machine shop told me.  It is less of a hassle to have two machines, because you would have to change the needle on the serger that does the coverstitch.  Also, you can get a babylock serger and a babylock coverstitch for the price of the evolve. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008 11:25:05 AM by fionasmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's four o'clock somewhere.
JerseyGal
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008 11:11:13 AM »

I've got a 1969 Montgomery Ward Signature 285 that is my workhorse machine, given to me as an engagement present from my then-fiance-now-husband.  It's beginning to show its age and I need a new rubber to go over the wheel that winds the bobbon and it's no longer available.  Husband to the rescue and he'll find something that works.
Also have a Singer Stylist 418 that I bought because it did fancy stuff.  That has needed repair (gears made of a waxy-type material that went to pieces) but I still use it.
Have a White serger that I like but haven't had it long enough to really put it through its paces.

I always dream of new machines and I should look more at estate sales, but those are mostly older ladies' things and rarely are the machines new enough to replace what I already have.  (Hey, I shouldn't say that about old ladies...I'm about to enter retirement age myself!!)

The all-plastic machines are scary when I see how much metal my Ward's has.

I love to sew but have two daughters-in-law who could care less about sewing or crafts...where did my boys go wrong!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeagleMommy
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008 05:22:23 PM »

Well, let's see. I think I have a problem.  Cheesy
1. I have a cheapo Brother from Walmart that was a gift. I learned to sew on it, but that's the only nice thing I can say about it. And it zigs.
2. I have a 1950 something Atlas Deluxe which is technically my mom's but it lives with me. Great machine! Sews like a dream, it's in a cabinet, and it's PINK! But does not zig zag.
3. I have a Singer treadle that is not in working order. It's from 1917, I think. Very pretty. Needs a new belt.
4. Another old black Singer. This one's a model 15. Sews a little; not quite right.
5. My favorite and my workhorse, Singer 319W. From the 50's. Heavy, sews beautifully, will zig zag and a lot more with the right cams (which I don't have), and it's GREEN! I love it!
6. I also have my MIL's old machine. It's a Kenmore from the 70's. It's really quite nice. Oh, and it's green, too.

All in all, my newest machine is my least favorite and least dependable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pamcake1323
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008 06:36:33 PM »

My first machine I just recently got for my birthday..it's a brother...don't know the model but it's the cheapest one at wal mart..the beginner machine. I have taught myself to sew on it and I love it for that reason.

Over the last weekend I have gotten:

Singer 500a

Singer 403a

& Nelco S 700

These three machines are all on the tables & in great shape! I'm stoked =)

I don't really know anything about the Nelco..I can't really find any info on it but it seems to be pretty sturdy. It only came with 1/2 of the manual.

The two singers didn't come with manuals but I know I love them already.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewnMemaw
SewnMemaw

Sunshine Kay aka Memaw

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008 03:26:15 AM »

There is a website where you can check for info on older machines,if you haven't tried this one,it's pretty neat...www.sewing-machine-manuals.com
I found info and a manual for an older model serger I bought at a yard sale.The manual was reprinted in large print and was in a nice large spiral booklet with plastic cover,helped me out a lot.They are located in Sturgis,Michigan.The name of the company is "Relics"...
Hope this helps!
My first machine I just recently got for my birthday..it's a brother...don't know the model but it's the cheapest one at wal mart..the beginner machine. I have taught myself to sew on it and I love it for that reason.

Over the last weekend I have gotten:

Singer 500a

Singer 403a

& Nelco S 700

These three machines are all on the tables & in great shape! I'm stoked =)

I don't really know anything about the Nelco..I can't really find any info on it but it seems to be pretty sturdy. It only came with 1/2 of the manual.

The two singers didn't come with manuals but I know I love them already.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008 03:30:44 AM by SewnMemaw » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Did It My Way  Smiley
Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008 06:55:08 PM »

Trust me it doesn't stop, this obsession of yours.

I will first mention the four machines which have been lost to various causes:

1940's (?) antique pink & purple singer, electric.  This was my first and I jammed it up and didn't realize it could be fixed.
1950's (?) Elna supermatic with the knee control arm, it was my great grandmother's which I inherited but the motor was burnt out and a person said he could fix it if I could donate it to his family, which was find with me (GGma would have been happy).
1977 Singer (forget the model number) in a beautiful cabinet.  It didn't always agree with me but it was pretty good.  Lost to sewer back-up.
1990s(?) Husq. sewing / embroidery machine, this was just not a good machine at all, I really hated it and I am a sewing machine fanatic!  I think I gave it away. (good riddance) although it did have the smallest free-arm ever, perfect for baby clothes.

Now for my current sewing machine family:

1971 Kenmore 1752 (I think is the right #)
2003 Brother from Walmart (back-up)
1948 Singer Treadle
2007 or 2008? Pfaff Smart 300E embroidery only machine.

The newest one which I am not sure of yet:

Very old (1950s?) Coronado Precision De-Luxe from the Sally Ann for $10.  This has an external motor and is heavier than a brick .... house (fill it in!) The only problem is that when I plug the machine in the motor starts running about a million miles per hour and there is no off button.  The foot pedal does nothing for it.  My dad is going to take a look at it tomorrow to see what can be done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008 07:30:50 PM »

The newest one which I am not sure of yet:

Very old (1950s?) Coronado Precision De-Luxe from the Sally Ann for $10.  This has an external motor and is heavier than a brick .... house (fill it in!) The only problem is that when I plug the machine in the motor starts running about a million miles per hour and there is no off button.  The foot pedal does nothing for it.  My dad is going to take a look at it tomorrow to see what can be done.

You have probably already tried this, but did you try unplugging the foot pedal and then plugging in the machine? You may not be able to, but the problem might just be in the foot pedal, something might be jammed. You can easily rewire them.

Like I said, you might already know, but just in case Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
xangomommy
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008 07:33:04 PM »

Michellegio_sew, My White 15 clone ran when plugged and all I did was spray WD-40 inside the springs and worked it a few times and it got unstuck. Now the foot pedal works wonderfully. Of course, that would depend on the type of foot pedal you have. Good luck on this.

I'm up to 5 machines now and I've told myself that I have to get rid of one to get one so I've been very good about not adding more. That is until I see a really good one at a good price;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008 07:34:42 PM by xangomommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008 07:44:41 PM »

You have probably already tried this, but did you try unplugging the foot pedal and then plugging in the machine? You may not be able to, but the problem might just be in the foot pedal, something might be jammed. You can easily rewire them.

Like I said, you might already know, but just in case Smiley

Unfortunatley the foot pedal is not separate, it comes right out of the power box (name for that thing?? ) but that is a good idea, it could be the foot!  Thanks so much I am so excited now.  If only my DH weren't here, it stresses him out when I play with my old machines.

Thanks!

Michellegio_sew, My White 15 clone ran when plugged and all I did was spray WD-40 inside the springs and worked it a few times and it got unstuck. Now the foot pedal works wonderfully. Of course, that would depend on the type of foot pedal you have. Good luck on this.

I'm up to 5 machines now and I've told myself that I have to get rid of one to get one so I've been very good about not adding more. That is until I see a really good one at a good price;)

Can you explain further about spraying WD-40 into the springs?  I mean where are the springs?  In the foot pedal?  I am feeling very stupid because I don't get it.  There are some small holes on the side of it, or do you mean where the part I step on that goes up and down connects with the box on the bottom of the pedal?

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
xangomommy
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008 10:03:49 PM »

This is the kind of pedal I have. I sprayed underneath the top piece.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Update Your Look With Hair Extensions
How to Get Soft and Shiny Locks with Steam
Beachy Waves Without Going to a Salon
Three Hair Sprays That Do More Than Just Hold Your Style
Hair Care with Natural Ingredients
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...