A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,966
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many machines do you have?  (Read 6762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008 09:14:59 AM »

Oh, what a question Cheesy  My husband calls me the "cat lady of sewing machines"--when I see a sewing machine, I HAVE to buy it and make sure it goes to a good home Cheesy

Let's see how many I have:
Singer Touch and Sew (my fav)
Singer 503a
Singer 307w
Pfaff 130
Pfaff 230
Free treadle (and yes, it works!  I piece quilts on it!)

So I guess I'm down to six....I had two Kenmores from the 60s/70s that I just recently sold.  I would be willing to part with the 307, but it requires special needles; they have to be ordered, it's not like you can pick them up at Walmart.  If I find the right person who is willing to go through the bit of extra effort, I'd sell that one, too.  But it's a good machine, and I don't want it to go to someone who won't appreciate it.  (My husband says I talk about it like it's a foster child, LOL.)

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008 09:43:45 AM »

3.  A Singer Stylist from my mom, a Wards UHT-J1276 from Salvation Army ($10), and a Brother which was literally found lying on the side of the road (it's pretty beat up, but it works).  I use the Singer for pretty much everything, but the Wards is starting to look more appealing because it's so much heavier and the Singer has a tendency to jump around the table, even though i put a pad underneath it.  Every time I'm at Salvation Army I see machines, and one of these days, I'm going to have to get another one.  I think they're cute!

that could also have to do with the quality of your table. Before i moved i basically had a piece of plywood on two ehm 'things' (what are they called? you can fold them out and use them as legs for a table) and no matter the sewing machines weight it just bounced merrily. Now i have a sturdy table and no more bouncing w/ the same machine.

We are stardust, we are golden,
We are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008 02:08:42 PM »

I've actually used it on a lot of different tables and none seem to make a difference.  The one I have now is very heavy wood with four legs and does not move at all.  I'm pretty sure it's the machine, since it doesn't always do it.

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008 03:10:27 PM »

Haha, my count as gone up by two since the last time I posted. I acquired a 503A (Slant-O-Matic) and a 500A (Rocketeer). I only have room to keep one though and I don't know which one!

Decline Designs - the blog

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008 03:11:23 PM »

Well Rocketeer sounds cooler. 

"I'll just whip up a dress on my Rocketeer"
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008 07:45:01 AM »

I have a pfaff 6085 I bought new 10 years ago.  Still works perfectly.  I have a Singer 221 from the 1920 in working condition but I dont use it.  Just got a Singer 328 k from my husbands grandmother who just passed away.  I am taking it to the repair shop this week for a tuning so my husband can use it when I am using the pfaff (Yes he sews!)  And I got a wonderful gift this week end: a brand new Babylock.  I have done a few things on it already but I still have to make the rolled hem look nicer.

It's four o'clock somewhere.
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008 02:18:38 PM »

I have 5 sewing machines.
A singer vintage machine of unknown type, it's either a 200 series or something older but only does straight stitch. will sew through 8 layers of denim and is awesome.
my newest kenmore 10 stitch(rescued from the roadside)
my brother cs-6000i (good machine but have had to take it to the shop once so far, works great for medium/lightweight items.)
tiny Janome sew mini
and a Japanese machine of unknown origin labeled SL International.( I need to get it fixed...)

Sunshine Kay aka Memaw

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008 05:53:26 AM »

Me too! I have a bunch of machines ranging from Vintage to almost new,some I like,some I don't. The ones I don't want or don't work,I take off all the good usable parts and store them in a box.You never know when you find a machine that needs something and most older machines use the same parts. After I "gut" the machine I give it to someone who takes it to the salvage yard for some cash.

I Did It My Way  Smiley

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008 12:15:58 PM »

i have 3 machines and a serger:

1. pfaff 7570, which is my main lady in life. i bought it used and it was still over $1000 Shocked
2. janome memory craft 4000, which used to be my main lady until i got the janome. i mainly keep it around so my friends have something to sew on (NO ONE is allowed near the pfaff!), and it has a few stitches that the pfaff doesn't have.
3. some junky $50 brother that a girl left at my house... because, it's a junky machine.
4. serger is a babylock imagine.

i'm currently on the market for a coverstitch machine (i was just going to upgrade to the babylock evolve, but i borrowed my mom's and think i'd rather have 2 seperate machines for serging and coverstitch). and i'm real jealous of everyone's vintage machines! i think i'll have to make room for a few in my apartment Wink

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008 12:30:47 PM »

Since I originally posted, I've given away 1 (Fashion Mate 362),  and have acquired a Singer 401A, a Singer 774 (free) and another Montgomery Ward Signature (also free).  So that means I'm up another 3. Except for the 401A, the were free so I don't feel bad;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008 12:32:22 PM by xangomommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Eel Sauce
How to Slice Sushi Fish
How to Slice Sashimi
How to Make a Traditional Sushi Roll
Sushi Ingredients to Have on Hand
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...