A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many machines do you have?  (Read 5149 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008 09:14:59 AM »

Oh, what a question Cheesy  My husband calls me the "cat lady of sewing machines"--when I see a sewing machine, I HAVE to buy it and make sure it goes to a good home Cheesy

Let's see how many I have:
Singer Touch and Sew (my fav)
Singer 503a
Singer 307w
Pfaff 130
Pfaff 230
Free treadle (and yes, it works!  I piece quilts on it!)

So I guess I'm down to six....I had two Kenmores from the 60s/70s that I just recently sold.  I would be willing to part with the 307, but it requires special needles; they have to be ordered, it's not like you can pick them up at Walmart.  If I find the right person who is willing to go through the bit of extra effort, I'd sell that one, too.  But it's a good machine, and I don't want it to go to someone who won't appreciate it.  (My husband says I talk about it like it's a foster child, LOL.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
eelkje
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008 09:43:45 AM »

3.  A Singer Stylist from my mom, a Wards UHT-J1276 from Salvation Army ($10), and a Brother which was literally found lying on the side of the road (it's pretty beat up, but it works).  I use the Singer for pretty much everything, but the Wards is starting to look more appealing because it's so much heavier and the Singer has a tendency to jump around the table, even though i put a pad underneath it.  Every time I'm at Salvation Army I see machines, and one of these days, I'm going to have to get another one.  I think they're cute!

that could also have to do with the quality of your table. Before i moved i basically had a piece of plywood on two ehm 'things' (what are they called? you can fold them out and use them as legs for a table) and no matter the sewing machines weight it just bounced merrily. Now i have a sturdy table and no more bouncing w/ the same machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are stardust, we are golden,
We are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.
rainbowmeow
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008 02:08:42 PM »

I've actually used it on a lot of different tables and none seem to make a difference.  The one I have now is very heavy wood with four legs and does not move at all.  I'm pretty sure it's the machine, since it doesn't always do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008 03:10:27 PM »

Haha, my count as gone up by two since the last time I posted. I acquired a 503A (Slant-O-Matic) and a 500A (Rocketeer). I only have room to keep one though and I don't know which one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008 03:11:23 PM »

Well Rocketeer sounds cooler. 

"I'll just whip up a dress on my Rocketeer"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fionasmom
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008 07:45:01 AM »

I have a pfaff 6085 I bought new 10 years ago.  Still works perfectly.  I have a Singer 221 from the 1920 in working condition but I dont use it.  Just got a Singer 328 k from my husbands grandmother who just passed away.  I am taking it to the repair shop this week for a tuning so my husband can use it when I am using the pfaff (Yes he sews!)  And I got a wonderful gift this week end: a brand new Babylock.  I have done a few things on it already but I still have to make the rolled hem look nicer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's four o'clock somewhere.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008 02:18:38 PM »

I have 5 sewing machines.
A singer vintage machine of unknown type, it's either a 200 series or something older but only does straight stitch. will sew through 8 layers of denim and is awesome.
my newest kenmore 10 stitch(rescued from the roadside)
my brother cs-6000i (good machine but have had to take it to the shop once so far, works great for medium/lightweight items.)
tiny Janome sew mini
and a Japanese machine of unknown origin labeled SL International.( I need to get it fixed...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewnMemaw
SewnMemaw

Sunshine Kay aka Memaw

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008 05:53:26 AM »

Me too! I have a bunch of machines ranging from Vintage to almost new,some I like,some I don't. The ones I don't want or don't work,I take off all the good usable parts and store them in a box.You never know when you find a machine that needs something and most older machines use the same parts. After I "gut" the machine I give it to someone who takes it to the salvage yard for some cash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Did It My Way  Smiley
shesxautomatic

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008 12:15:58 PM »

i have 3 machines and a serger:

1. pfaff 7570, which is my main lady in life. i bought it used and it was still over $1000 Shocked
2. janome memory craft 4000, which used to be my main lady until i got the janome. i mainly keep it around so my friends have something to sew on (NO ONE is allowed near the pfaff!), and it has a few stitches that the pfaff doesn't have.
3. some junky $50 brother that a girl left at my house... because, it's a junky machine.
4. serger is a babylock imagine.

i'm currently on the market for a coverstitch machine (i was just going to upgrade to the babylock evolve, but i borrowed my mom's and think i'd rather have 2 seperate machines for serging and coverstitch). and i'm real jealous of everyone's vintage machines! i think i'll have to make room for a few in my apartment Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

www.lladybird.wordpress.com
www.wickedtomatofactory.etsy.com
xangomommy
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008 12:30:47 PM »

Since I originally posted, I've given away 1 (Fashion Mate 362),  and have acquired a Singer 401A, a Singer 774 (free) and another Montgomery Ward Signature (also free).  So that means I'm up another 3. Except for the 401A, the were free so I don't feel bad;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008 12:32:22 PM by xangomommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Mongolian Cabbage Salad
At Home with our Mongolian Chef Odnoo Celik
How to Make Mongolian Buuz Dumplings
How to Make Chinese Beef and Tomatoes
At Home with our Chinese Chef Lena Fung
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...