A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 306,353
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hello Kitty Janome  (Read 1867 times)
Tags for this thread: janome  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marsupialbrigade
« on: December 01, 2008 05:26:07 PM »

I'm interested in a janome, but only need something simple and light, as I can borrow my step-moms singer need be. Wondering if anyone has used this machine, or any other 3/4 janomes?  Huh
Recommendations very appreciated. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

:orange:!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008 07:32:02 AM »

The Hello Kitty is the same as the Sew Mini, but with a pink kitty exterior. It sews reasonably well but it isn't very tough, drop it once & it's done for. It is not suitable for heavy fabrics at all (don't bother trying to sew a quilted tote bag or hemming your jeans with it). Is your storage space that limited? The Janome Jean Machine is a small-but-not-that-small size & a good deal tougher and more capable of serious sewing while still being very affordable (usually in the $99 neighborhood). I love my Janome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SoWasabi
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009 01:10:33 AM »

I have the 3/4 size Hello Kitty Janome Sewing Machine.  I bought it back in Aug 2008 and since then have sewed 2 fully lined tote bags (with interfacing), pouches with zippers and altered some clothing and curtains.  I learned to sew by reading books and then practicing on this machine.

I had never sewed before I bought the HK Janome and until today, never had any other machine to compare it to.  I took a sewing class at Joann's and used one of their Husqvarna Huskystar machines.  I'm still a beginner, but for what it's worth, this is what I've discovered:

- the HK Janome is OK but very limited in terms of how many layers of fabric you can sew through.  I like to make bags and sometimes I have to sew through 6 layers which was not so easy, but I'm patient so it's doable.  The motor is not that powerful and it doesn't have enough torque.  It's also smaller in size so sometimes it's a little tight when you're trying to maneuver fabric through the machine (I'm petite with skinny arms).

- the HK Janome does a great job of winding bobbins in comparison to the Huskystar I was using (even the instructor complained about the Huskystar's bobbin winding problem).

- there's not enough speed control on the HK Janome foot pedal, it goes from zero to medium.  The machine was not designed to go superfast.

I intend to advance my sewing skills as I've discovered how much I like it.  I think the adorableness of the machine helped get me interested and motivated to sew but now I'm starting to desire a machine with greater capability and will likely upgrade in the next 6 months after I go test a variety of makers and models.

Hope this helps.  Below are some pics of the machine and what I've sewn:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/maddmadd/sewing%20projects/HKSewingmachine.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/maddmadd/sewing%20projects/IMG_0482.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/maddmadd/sewing%20projects/IMG_0471.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009 06:50:03 AM »

Nice job!

Actually I think the HK is 1/2 size, not even 3/4. It's pretty tiny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SoWasabi
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009 09:11:07 AM »

Thanks for the compliment, I tried very hard in my sewing attempts.

As for the HK machines, I've seen several different models.  I'm a lifelong Sanrio fan - can't help looking at cute stuff!

There are:

- the green 3/4 size (model 11706) one, which is what I have

- the blue 1/2 size (model 11702) which is really the Sew Mini
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp11168-0122.html

- then there's the battery operated toy sewing machine that's pink and white
http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Kitty-Lockstitch-Sewing-Machine/dp/B001E91C2G/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1231174729&sr=8-2

I haven't seen the pink 1/2 size version.  Maybe they don't make it any more?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009 10:15:22 AM »

Target had a pink one that was the same size as the Sew Mini. But that was at least a year ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009 12:19:01 PM »

I've seen the green 3/4 size and the blue 1/2 size (like sew-mini) too. 
The only pink one I saw was a toy chain stitcher.  I saw  that one at Target.

The hello kitty theme is cute, but then again I have several compact sewing machines that I think are really cute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize a YouTube Channel - Photoshop Part 2/2
Photoshop Clone Stamp Tutorials
How to Make Digital Scrapbook
How to use Pen Tool in Photoshop
Creating a Hologram in After Effects
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...