A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many machines do you have?  (Read 5159 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xangomommy
« on: August 25, 2008 01:59:29 PM »

Before I found this site, I had 1 sewing machine (a Euro Pro which I recently sold) and a serger that I have yet to use. Since seeing everyone else's vintage machines, I now have a mint green Montgomery Ward with a 1.3 motor that I got at a thrift store for $6.98, a Singer Fashion Mate 362 from freecycle that I am now freecycling (didn't like it), a pristine Fashion Mate 237 (which I am loving and got for $8 at the Salvation Army), and a blue Singer-15 clone... Japanese made with a White label from a yard sale for $5. When does this stop?? I may have to stop coming to this site ;(

Vintage sewing machines have quickly become an obsession that I don't have room for! Anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FJ
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008 06:24:59 PM »

I had 9 sewing machines and 1 serger but in the last few days I gave away 2 of the sewing machines and I will be giving another one away soon.  That will put me down to only 7  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008 07:17:33 PM »

I have three sewing machines and one serger. Two are vintage (one is a Viking 6440, which is from the late 70's, and one is a Mercury Singer 15 clone from the early 50's) and one is a plastic Brother my grandma got me a few years ago. My fiance and friends tease me but I find it perfectly justifiable to keep them all because the Brother does a few stitches the Viking doesn't do, but can't even sew through three layers of denim, so the Viking is my main machine, the Brother is for a few stitches, and the Mercury is just GORGEOUS and could probably sew through anything (I'll be making a leather jacket soon so this will come in handy). And its straight stitch is just gorgeous, so I use it for straight-stitching.

If I see a good vintage machine and I have the money I have no hesitation about picking it up - most of them are so pretty! I'd still like to have one of the cool looking Dressmakers (not all of the ones of this style are the Dressmaker brand, but most of the ones I've seen are) from the 50's or so that look like cars (not literally - but have a very retro car feel) and have the speedometer looking dials and the big R button and such.

Like these:

Um yeah. The summary of all of this is that you're not alone! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
angeltreats
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008 12:09:13 AM »

I have three and a serger.

1. Bernina 600 from 1961 that I inherited from my friend's mum when she died
2. Viking 1100 from I think the late 1980s or early 90s - it's computerised and is a fantastic machine
3. Singer Starlet (same as a Singer Genie) that I bought purely because I liked the flower pattern
4. Janome 9200D serger, the only one of my machines that I bought new

My first machine was a Toyota 21DES and I bought that new, but didn't like it much and sold it on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008 03:30:43 AM »

I have a Janome sewing machine and a Euro-Pro serger. I am kinda mourning the fact that when I was jr high-ish my mom donated her machine to my jr high/high school. She thought it was crap (the amazing thing is that she ever had a machine in the first place, she hates to sew) but they fixed it and I ended up using it in jr high and high school home ec classes. It was a good machine and I wish I still had it!

Do you guys that have lots of them use them all or is it just a collection thing? Do you keep rotating which ones you keep in use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
angeltreats
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008 04:12:34 AM »

I use all of mine.  The Bernina for straight stitching and manual buttonholes (which I can't seem to get myself out of the habit of making even though the Viking does awesome automatic buttonholes), the Viking for heavy duty sewing and everything else like hemming and so on, and the Singer sometimes just because I feel like it and it's pretty.  And the serger for serging obviously!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008 05:49:22 AM »

I just have 2, I have an antique singer with a treadle.  I've only sewn paper on it so far, I'm still figuring out how to use it properly.  I also have just a boring no-frills modern sewing machine.  I can't even remember what brand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008 11:24:03 AM »

I have 3 and a serger. I have one 60's era Singer I picked up at a yard sale, cleaned it up & waiting for the right person to pass it along to. I have my old Kenmore (the first one I bought for myself) and my new lovely Janome 6600 Home Professional. The Janome is not portable, it weighs a ton, so I keep the Kenmore in case I need to sew somewhere else. It's also great for teaching as I can set it up & sew side by side with someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbowmeow
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008 07:44:49 PM »

3.  A Singer Stylist from my mom, a Wards UHT-J1276 from Salvation Army ($10), and a Brother which was literally found lying on the side of the road (it's pretty beat up, but it works).  I use the Singer for pretty much everything, but the Wards is starting to look more appealing because it's so much heavier and the Singer has a tendency to jump around the table, even though i put a pad underneath it.  Every time I'm at Salvation Army I see machines, and one of these days, I'm going to have to get another one.  I think they're cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simplyla
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008 05:13:13 AM »

Just the one - my wedding gift - a Janome 2139N. I guess I'm no sewing machine pro, but it sure does everything I've ever tried on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Fondant Pig
How to Make a Fondant Giraffe
How to Make a Fondant Lion
How to Make a Fondant Crown
How to Make a Fondant Purse
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...