A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,580
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your answer might save my marriage!  (Read 2364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kleinsch
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008 08:25:14 AM »

Definitely sounds like the making of a great witch costume for Halloween!  One shawl as a cape, one shawl as a skirt with a little elastic waistband?  (Depending on how old your daughter is, of course.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
QueenofSporks
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008 10:46:39 AM »

Just say that if you cut them, they would unravel, and they're waaay toooo beeeeeaaaauutiful for them to just unravel. Tell him she'll wear them as a scarf when it gets cold, and then stick them somewhere deep in a drawer. Or better yet, if your husband is still stationed during the winter, have her put them on for a few minutes and send him some pictures of her in the scarves. I'm sure that would make him happy.

Or, if you really need to make something, take the scarf and sew the opposite ends so you have a big ring. Gather one side, slap some elastic on, and viola, a skirt. Then have her wear it for two minutes, take a photo, send.....heh. Then stick it in a drawer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momsknitting
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008 11:04:58 AM »

The fusible interfacing sounds like a great idea, it would be soft and stable.  How about a lightweight jacket?  Then you could line it completely, have the fusible interfacing AND make her something to wear from them!  Good Luck!!  I'm glad my husband doesn't shop for me for supplies... talk about anxiety!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gumption

"Sing an outlaw love song." -Social Distortion

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008 01:53:17 PM »

Sorry I don't have anything to suggest!  I just wanted to wish you the best of luck!  Keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
basketcase93
Yo soy del unicornio.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008 02:55:04 PM »

Honestly, I would use it as trim/decoration/adornment on something.

You're still technically using it, but it won't be an obnoxious outfit only made of pashmina.

Or you could use it as a home decoration, like a table cloth or something...Or just hang it on your wall. You have to admit, not a lot of people can claim to have something from the Middle East, and that's cool that you can claim that you do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bitches get stuff DONE!" - Tina Fey

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dal
thehappylion
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008 06:10:57 PM »

Another package arrived in the mail today... bearing two gifts. There was another golden tinseled "pashmina", this time in forest-y green. Yikes. But, amazingly, a deliciously soft and blessedly more conservatively done navy blue pashmina. (Note the lack of quotes.) So... since I am in desperate fear of these scary things unraveling, I'm thinking about telling him that the kids much much much prefer them for playing with them (actually, the broke-pelvis'd dog is in LOVE with the black one....), but that I'd love a few more of the navy types. Amazing. I might actually be able to make a dress out of something here, although I think I might want some of the nice ones for myself; they're rather cuddly. I am, however, going to be keeping all your suggestions in mind, as there is no way of telling how he'll feel about all this.. Thanks for the input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mountaingrrl
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008 06:42:19 AM »

Might I add how cute it is that he's thinking to buy you fabric while he's over there? Kudos to you for running a household by yourself. I'm a former AF brat who lives in a town with a AFB, where mommies and daddies are being deployed all the time.

Good luck with the fabric! And the dog Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008 02:02:49 PM »

Wash them. Wash them in hot water several times. There is something about the way materials are processed in other places that gives them a less than nice feel.

Once you have washed them, if they have not shredded, make shawls and dress up skirts. Kids will remember dress up clothing long after the memory of a special dress is gone.

And it is sweet that he is thinking of you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008 10:49:10 AM »

They might very well be wool & washing them could result in smaller, felted, softer fabric that won't unravel as easily. You could 'accidentally' toss one in the washer to see what happens, solo or with like colors, if it's locally made fabric it's highly likely a natural dye that will bleed.

And tell the silly man you want a rug, a traditional, brightly colored, wool, hand woven rug. Afghan rugs are unique from other parts of the Middle East in style & color choices & quite beautiful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kymy
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008 01:25:55 PM »

a lot of the other posts have great ideas... My 2 suggestions were washing & drying them... the will get rid of any shrinkage & most likely soften them up.  But I would was them alone with a little vinegar & salt (it helps set the dyes) & then like one of the PP said just cut it out & baste it to a peice of muslin for a softer lining.  If you could post a picture we might have a better idea of what kind of dresses they would make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
My Crafty Blog ~ Hundreds of Free Tutorials/Patterns for Babylegs, Crib Sheets & more!
Open for personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Olivia Wilde - TRON: Legacy
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Love, Burlesque, Tangled, & King
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Harry Potter & The Next Three Days
Harry Potter Cast Secrets: 10 Things You May Not Know
How Students of the World Develops Documentary Filmmakers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...