A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,109
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm new... help me make this necklace talented people... please help me  (Read 1333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Natural Starlet

Fashionista at Birth

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2005 06:31:10 PM »

Hi All,
I'm new around here and this is my very first post.  I would like to make this necklace and I have no idea where to start and i can't find any materials like this in my local craft store.  Any suggestions?  I don't know how to make it or what to do at all.  I need all of the advice and help that I can get.  But I can't be splurging on any expessive tools and what nots.  You ladies are so talented.  I know you can help me out. 
This is a link to a picture of it:

www.tat2designs.com/images/necklaces/coin/T2N151GR.jpg[url=http://]]]

Thanks in Advance,
Natural Starlet.

Also, I have seen some of ya'lls work work and I love it. I can't wait to post my on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005 08:25:54 AM »

Hi there! welcome; glad you're enjoying it here.

I couldn't get anything at the url-link you posted so I cut off the tail end & tried again ... is this the pic? ::
www.tat2designs.com/images/necklaces/coin/T2N151GR.jpg

*IF* it is ...
okay below are some possibilities for making it ...
although me? eeeek! think I'd just go look for a sale on something similar to it in a store!! but then I'm extreeeeemely lazy & not very creative... lllol sad but true ...

~~ FIRST you need a bunch of some ROUND THINGIES with holes.
I can't tell exactly what *those* round things in the pic are -- do you know?
Metal coins or some other type of metal discs?  a type of side drilled coin pearl or other natural mineral or organic material?  textured plastic discs?  some kind of paillette? (a paillette is more-or-less a biiiig "sequin" type thingie) ... ...
well something like thosethings, anyway. 

Whatever round flat thingies you care to use :
Unless you intend to drill holes in them yourself (morrrre tools/time/trouble?? lol) , just look for something that already has the two holes drilled through each side from top to bottom -- & of course the two holes do need to be be directly opposite each other.

~~ SECOND, obviously you need CHAIN.
Two ways to do this.
- For Method [1]-Make chain , below, you need two pairs of fairly small needle-nose pliers. 
- For Method [2]-Buy premade chain , below , you need two pairs of needlenose pliers 'and' a fairly small pair of wire cutters -- best quality you can possibly afford (in jewelrymaking 'tools' are reeeeally not the place to cut expenses), and easy for you to handle, and with fairly small jaws.
[[[[*PLS NOTE* : had to edit this to change the tool after the word 'and' to *WIRE CUTTERS*.  If you read this before I edited it, you may have been confused because at first I had mistakenly repeated the word pliers.]]]]

METHOD [1]-MAKE CHAIN ::

Buy a **whollllllle BUNCH** of metal jumprings (these are metal-wire circles or ovals that come in various sizes and are pre-cut in one place to allow you to open / close them) ...
and make your own chain by linking them. 

You'll have long lengths of jumpring 'chain' punctuated by a couple of round disc thingies hgere & there. The discs are easily added by closing a jumpring into the hole on each side & putting only one or two jumprings between each disc, then continuing on with the longer lengths of chain.

((btw ... you can also MAKE your own jumprings out of metal *wire* if you like -- to me that's simply adding morrre time/morrre effort lolol -- but yes it can be done!))

Make the necklace long enough to double around your neck & you won't even need a clasp. Just use a piece of thick string to help you decide the overall length you want.  Then measure wherever you want to add the discs, glue on little cardboard circles or use magic marker to mark those places, and you'll have a rough template to check your work against & keep you on track.     

Jumprings are probably among the least expensive 'findings' in jewelry-making (unless you plan to use solid gold jumprings?!) ... and they're readily available at all crafts/ bead stores, whether bricknmortar or online.  Usually come in silvertone or goldtone base metal, gold or silver plated metal, sterling, and-or copper.

Obviously the bigger the jumprings, the easier they'll probably be to work with. And, you could mix oval / round shapes & maybe even "mix metals" to make an interesting chain.

~~~IMPORTANT :::
The right way to open & close a jumpring is to move the two sides gently *sideways*, in other words : "past each other" to open, then back to the original position to close ....... NOT to pull the two sides of the jumpring apart and directly away from each other.
The pull-apart method can stiffen or weaken the metal which can cause it to break. Sometimes that will happen immediately, but even worse, sometimes it happens much later (e.g., after the piece is finished & while you're wearing it!).

Reason for two needlenose pliers with this method :
To do the correct 'sideways' motion for opening/closing, some people find it much easier & quicker to hold each side of the jumpring with a pair of pliers, instead of trying to use fingers & 1 pair of pliers.

METHOD [2]-BUY PREMADE CHAIN ::

Simply buy a bunch of metal chain (or pre-cut lengths of metal chain) & 'insert' the round discs into the chain.

To do that, you use the wire cutters to make one cut in one side of a link -- then use the needlenose pliers to open & close it into the disc holes.
It's  exactly as if you were using jumprings in Method [1] above *except* you're only having to open-close a few times for the discs, instead of many mannny times to actually 'create' the chain.

~~~~IMPORTANT : for OPENING-CLOSING links in a chain, follow SAME WAY described in the section marked important in Method [1] ABOVE. Same principle/ same reason applies to metal chain links as well as to metal jumprings.

Of course, pre-made chain might be rather more expensive than a whollle lotta jumprings; you'll have to decide yourself if expense or other advantages are significant.

When choosing pre-made metal chain there are a few things to keep in mind :
-- Some metals are considerably easier to cut & to work with than others. Just me, I find copper & sterling easiest, but of course sterling can get kinda expensive sometimes.
-- The ease or difficulty of cutting a link in chain also depends on the thickness of the metal AND on the size & style of the link. Sooo, just me now, I'd look for links that are fairly large,not too thick,fairly open, and simple in style as opposed to fancy.
-- Just as with jumprings, you 'could' possibly mix chain styles and metals to create something really distinctive; that's just up to yourown personal preferences, of course.

~~ SOURCES for round flat two-hole/opposite-sides thingies of various types , also for jumprings , also for premade chain :

-- Browse through a few large crafts stores &-or bead shops in your area, and also ask for help, in finding the particular materials/ tools above...
I know you said you already did but I'm not sure you were looking for / asking for those particular things? (also if you can, print out that picture of the necklace & take it with you).

-- Also definitely browse through the 'catalogs' of the MANY good, reputable, well-known, large, reasonably-priced bead & jewelrymaking sources now online ...
-Fire Mountain Gems (aka FMG) is one -- website is :
http://www.firemountaingems.com/
-Shipwreck is another (& don't let that rather peculiar name fool ya, lol) -- website is :
http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005 08:31:31 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hawkwolf

I love to Maille!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005 04:04:46 PM »

Yup, you can buy the coins and bulk chain at most craft stores. Heck, you'd probly only need two pairs of needlenose pliers, if the coins are already hole punched.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom chain maille for sale!
"http://www.Hawkwolfs.com/"
 Hawkwolf's Armory and Accoutrements
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005 08:18:23 PM »

Those particular round things look like coins from a belly dance coin belt to me. I bet they're cheap when they're NOT attached to the belt and you only need a few of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005 08:25:49 PM »

The original piece is designed from coins...I have visited their site before... GORGEOUS creations.
 If you go to the main website, http://www.tat2designs.com/ it's under the "COIN NECKLACES" category.  It sells for $305...and it's called "Gradient."

I just wanted to post some background from the website...since it is their original art you are trying to recreate... Cheesy

Based out of Los Angeles, Tat2 Design Jewelry is a combination labor of love and artistic pursuit. Not only can both designers call themselves award winning fine artists, they can call each other mother and daughter. Working as a collaborative team, Tat2s bohemian chic aesthetic has allowed them to work successfully with sterling silver, deep-sea coral, semiprecious stones, pearls, turquoise and gold to create irresistible wearable pieces of art. Each piece is individually hand cast, soldered, and finished in myriad of looks; from red carpet worthy gold to antique inspired vintage silver.

All coin & silver tassel designs available in vintage silver, white silver, gradient (white silver & 24k vermeil) and 24k vermeil finishes.

Pendants available in vintage silver, vintage 24k vermeil and 24k vermeil.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005 03:33:36 AM »

Hi sweet4ever, thanks for that info!
But er 'original'? llol! In jewelry as with most other stuf there sure ain't "much" new under the sun (Shakespeare actually said *nothing* new under the sun but he kinda stole that line from an ancient writer!) ...
Didn't look at the entire website so perhaps some of their jewelry may indeed be original -- but definitely not that particular necklace in the first link up above.
Being an *ahem* "Older Person" I can assure you we were wearing that *exact* necklace style as far back as the 1950s / 1960s.  And actually that's true of many of the jewelry & fashion items currently termed "Bohemian chic."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005 09:58:35 AM »

Hi sweet4ever, thanks for that info!
But er 'original'? llol! In jewelry as with most other stuf there sure ain't "much" new under the sun (Shakespeare actually said *nothing* new under the sun but he kinda stole that line from an ancient writer!) ...
Didn't look at the entire website so perhaps some of their jewelry may indeed be original -- but definitely not that particular necklace in the first link up above.
Being an *ahem* "Older Person" I can assure you we were wearing that *exact* necklace style as far back as the 1950s / 1960s.  And actually that's true of many of the jewelry & fashion items currently termed "Bohemian chic."

You are welcome for the info Smiley

I meant original... because the post said "help me make this necklace."  The necklace style, and "this necklace" are two different things...  I don't deny that the style has been around for ages.  I was just trying to give credit to the creator of that particular necklace, as the link actually hot linked to a directory of their site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Natural Starlet

Fashionista at Birth

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005 06:27:06 PM »

Thanks for the replys all.  I'm going to try your tips and insturctions soon and I'll get back to you with my finished product.  I really appreciate all of your help!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005 06:29:34 PM »

Yay!  I thought this thread died.. I am glad it didn't!  Can't wait to see your finished piece... Cheesy  Good lucks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005 12:47:56 AM »

Might try coin-shaped buttons.  Unless you're really hooked on it being coins, I think it could be quite lovely using shell buttons.

Or, if you don't MIND having to drill holes, just use some actual coins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quick Poster Vol 4 Part 1 Photoshop Tutorial
How to Adjust Sports Photos Like a Pro in Photoshop & RAW
How to Customize Baseball Cutouts sports templates
How to Add an Extracted Photo to A Backdrop Matrix Poster
How to change the frame color
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...