A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap n Easy Faux Stained Glass + tut  (Read 2582 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goosezilla
« on: August 23, 2008 10:35:50 PM »

Materials used:
Hot Glue Gun
Black Hot Glue
Glass Paints
Paper
Thick Marker
Tape
Plexiglass
Glass Marble

This is the marker drawing I did for the faux pattern that I traced over.

Here is my Charr faux piece all finished up. Black hot glue is used as leading. It sticks quite permanently to the plexiglass. I tried using that Gallery Glass stuff, but the colors droop over time and the leading doesn't stick to surfaces very well. Black hot glue is way cheaper and isn't gonna fall off my window...that is if I actually did this directly on the glass, which you totally could! I hot glued a glass marble in for the eye. It sticks really well in the hot glue. You could probably cover an entire piece in marbles and glue if you wanted. Smiley

I posted an instructable here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Faux_Stained_Glass/

This is so easy! I think I this piece probably cost me about five bucks to make. I did go out and buy a bulk bag of black hot glue and glass paint, which ended up totalling about 80 bucks. That is enough material for tons of these types of projects though.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
saxonsweetie
Can't talk... craftsturbating...

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008 10:47:46 PM »

That looks great! I have been wanting to do some faux stained glass in my kitchen. Where the deuce do you get black hot glue? I've never seen it. Admittedly, I have never looked, so... that might be why. Anyway, it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

$4.95 Flat Rate Box Swap-I'm stuffing my boxes!

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
goosezilla
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008 10:54:13 PM »

That looks great! I have been wanting to do some faux stained glass in my kitchen. Where the deuce do you get black hot glue? I've never seen it. Admittedly, I have never looked, so... that might be why. Anyway, it looks great!

I ordered a 5lb box off ebay from this place:
http://stores.ebay.com/Gluesticks-Direct

They've got other colors too which could be fun to play around with. I think black hot glue is usually for hair extension attachment. Though I wouldn't want hot glue that close to my scalp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008 01:58:43 AM »

That looks glorious!  Years ago I tried hot gluing colored flat glass marbles onto a less than glamorous mirror for a border effect... but within a week my toddler at the time had managed to pick them all off.  I had assumed from thereon that hot glue + glass didn't work - but you've given me new hope.  I wonder if it is the quality of the glue or the fact that one of your surfaces was plexiglass that made it such a success?

Congratulations on this wonderful piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
goosezilla
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008 10:18:55 AM »

That looks glorious!  Years ago I tried hot gluing colored flat glass marbles onto a less than glamorous mirror for a border effect... but within a week my toddler at the time had managed to pick them all off.  I had assumed from thereon that hot glue + glass didn't work - but you've given me new hope.  I wonder if it is the quality of the glue or the fact that one of your surfaces was plexiglass that made it such a success?

Congratulations on this wonderful piece.

I think hot glue definitely sticks to plexiglass better. You could try super glue or glue specifically for glass on glass to glue the stones initially and then use hot glue as the leading afterwards for a more permanent project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008 01:21:38 PM »

Great project!  Hot glue on plexiglass certainly sounds a LOT better than anywhere that close to my scalp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008 04:08:11 PM »

BrrrrrrrILLIANT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
TrentSketch
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008 04:53:09 AM »

That looks great. I never even heard of black hot glue sticks before.

I would like to say that, once I practiced for a bit, I never had any problems with the Gallery Glass leading and colors. The tricky part is patience, because everything you do has to dry flat for at least a few hours, preferably overnight.

Whereas I guess black hot glue dries pretty quickly and allows for faster completion of a project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goosezilla
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008 03:22:21 PM »

That looks great. I never even heard of black hot glue sticks before.

I would like to say that, once I practiced for a bit, I never had any problems with the Gallery Glass leading and colors. The tricky part is patience, because everything you do has to dry flat for at least a few hours, preferably overnight.

Whereas I guess black hot glue dries pretty quickly and allows for faster completion of a project.

The projects I've made with gallery glass had a lot of white, yellow, and red in them. These colors begin to droop after a few months, especially if you live someplace warm or put them in a window that gets a lot of direct sunlight. If you make areas with thick leading the leading won't stick and causes the rest of the image to droop. My method was not to do it directly on the glass, but to work off a flat surface then peel the gallery glass piece off and stick it to the window as a decal. Maybe working more directly produces better results? Also, I was using it in Arizona at the time...pretty hot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008 07:19:32 AM »

The black hot glue is dimensional, right? (it sticks up above the surface?)

So MOVING AWAY FROM STAINED GLASS but still in craftster territory

you could put fabric or a tee over the design and rub it with a crayon to transfer the design? Like those grave-rubbing images, but less sinister.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rules Of Thumb For Hair Color
The Most Fashionable Raincoat
Style Tricks To Slimming Arms
The Must-Have Colors For Your Summer Wardrobe
Age-Appropriate Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...