A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm a completely wonderful sister.  (Read 1150 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2008 06:50:51 PM »

Seriously.  So my little sister (not so little-- we're 21 months apart) just started college!  She's got a really keen eye for decorating, but not really the crafty gene... I guess just I got that one.  So she was trying to come up with ideas to spice up the dorm room, and she wanted me to make one of those memo boards (you know the type... a fabric covered board, with ribbons crisscrossing to make slots for notes/pictures etc) to hang on her closet door.  Well the kid doesn't just want one of these... she wants 8 small ones in different fabrics.  Well, a trip to Hancock later (I think you'll like the fabric designs she picked out- she really does have a good eye), we had a pile of fabric, ribbon, and batting.  "This won't take very long, sis," she enthused.  About two hours later (after going back and forth about the virtues of cardboard vs foam board and designing and then redesigning countless sizes she wanted), she had gotten as far as cutting out the cardboard before quitting and leaving the cutting the fabric and batting, hot-gluing them to the cardboard, and then designing the ribbon crisscrosses, and then adding the button embellishments.... well sis, it kind of took a long time.  But I like how it turned out, and to be honest, she'll probably have the only 8-handmade-memo-boards-closet-door-covering on campus.  And to think we could have just hung a poster.

Anyway, after it was all done, and I was totally spent (I also made a huge photo collage, covered a tin can in the dark teal fabric as a pencil holder, and fixed a necklace of hers), I was like, "Dang, anything else?" and she just said, "I like it when you magically fix things."  Oh to be 18.

In action:

Close-up of one of the boards:

Zeroing in on one of the buttons... it was awesome b/c our mom had a bunch of very neat buttons to embellish this project!  Each board has a different button on it Smiley  This right here is actually 2 buttons nested together.

And a little side project (I was waiting on more ribbon and she wanted a key hook), with the coolest buttons of all.  Those letters are her and her roommate's first initials.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008 07:10:39 PM »

Wow. You ARE a wonderful sister. xD You did a GREAT job on those, so cute!

My brother's a freshman this year, at my school, and he said 'I need new hats...' (he wears lots of odd ones... I love him. xD) Anyway. I am less wonderful. I said 'I'm a junior. I'll teach you to crochet; I'm too busy to make them'. And he is learning. xD Ah well. Those are great, I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Great Game by Stephen J. Harper
Tim Conway: What Are You Reading?
Christy Haubegger: The Starting Line
Christy Haubegger: A Latina Heroine
Christy Haubegger: Measure Your Life In Impact
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...