A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best friend leaving for Coast Guard  (Read 454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purevitality
« on: August 20, 2008 12:54:42 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what's involved in training for Coast Guard... and apparently neither is my friend Mike who is running off to join. He leaves sometime in September, but doesn't know the day.

He is 19. Wants to be a cop eventually. He's like a teddy bear. Just the sweetest kid in the world! We've been good friends for about 4 years, but don't have many pictures together (even though I was his prom date two years ago?). 

Originally I had thought of some manly stationary because I was told letters were the only way we would be able to talk? But I'm not really sure how that works.

So does anyone have any ideas on a graduation/you're special to me/i'll miss you gift?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
wanderlust

Love never fails

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008 03:59:13 PM »

I don't know anything about coast guard training, but if it's anything like the Army ...

Stationary is good, but keep it really plain, and include stamps.
Prepaid calling cards are always winners.
Travel laundry detergent

I went to  officer training so we got away with a lot more, but you could wait and send it latter if you're scared it will get confiscated. Here are great things he might not be able to have:
Swiss army knife
Head lamp ( a flashlight that straps to your head, with a red lens so he can see after lights out. Best thing I brought with me!)
Fleece travel blanket, for when the barracks are freezing, and/ or you don't want to remake the bed.

But the best thing is to send stuff while he's there. It helps to know there's life outside of training! Pictures are great, those cards with music can be really embarrassing... Usually you can send food, but they won't let you have it in the barracks, so  if you send cookies, he can share with his buddies, but they have to get eaten in one sitting.

Hopefully this is helpful, but as I said Army Officer training  is probably a lot different than Coast Guard Basic. Good Luck . Your friend will defiantly appreciate anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is patient, Love is kind, It does not envy; it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude it is not self-seeking it is not easily angered it keeps no record of wrongs. love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth It always protects always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Double Dare: The Right Way To Brighten Up Your Eyes
Beauty Test Lab: Becca Brush
Expert Reveals Summer Habits That Are Harmful To Your Skin
Beauty Test Lab: One Minute Polish
Beauty Test Lab: Bite Lip Pencil Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...