A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Re-use Centres? - here in Edmonton but are they anywhere else?  (Read 2387 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 23, 2008 07:52:25 AM »

As a newbie to Canada (UK born) I was amazed that Edmonton has a Reuse Centre which accepts all sorts of crafty and otherwise paraphernalia and to collect from there only costs $2.00 each visit (or $20.00 for the year which means as many visits as you care to make), all they do is weigh the amount and whatever you take costs you $2.00 regardless of wether you are taking one ball of wool or 10 books.

They also collect things to keep them out of the landfill so you can drop off a bag of things you won't use yourself and pick up some items for a new craft project.

As it's the back to school season they have a truck load of used binders of all sizes which will save people a fortune at school, uni or like me if you desperately need to organise paperwork.

I have a long list of the items they accept and times they are open, so if there is any response to this I can type the info up for you, and I hope that only genuine people come here not just those looking to sell on the items.

Here is the address and more info on the wonder that is my local Reuse centre: http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents/garbage_recycling/reuse-centre.aspx

It's an excellent idea and I would urge those in Edmonton to check it out, but please leave SOME good stuff for me! Wink
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010 06:21:49 PM by mink_bikini » THIS ROCKS   Logged

degenecle
djrk

I wanna be a professional grandma

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009 08:45:06 PM »

Man! I've been trying to figure out how I could do something like that and turn it into a job, but if Edmonton already has a program like that going, maybe I can get a leg-up in bringing one to Saskatoon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuMoe
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009 11:26:54 AM »

What a cool idea! I wish we had one here. I live in the Twin Cities (Minnesota), and we do have a place called the ReUse Center but it's mostly architectural salvage. I got some wood flooring there, but nothing I could craft with (though they have hardware and smaller stuff too). There's also a non-profit arts group here that runs a store called ArtScraps; they collect art supplies and sell them for cheap. It's a cool place, but probably not as cheap as $2 a visit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mink_bikini

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009 06:19:17 PM »

Stop press, the price has been put up to $4!! still as cheap as chips and twice as much fun  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizzieloves

Becca, Me, and Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009 09:32:23 PM »

I wish we had some around here. (Maine) All we have is a goodwill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dean: It's like we got a contract on us. You think it's 'cause we're so awesome? I think it's 'cause we're so awesome.

http://lizziedreams.wordpress.com/

I just made a wists!
http://www.wists.com/lizziewants

I'd love to do personal swaps so message me if you want to!
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009 04:13:45 PM »

cooler climates just don't have as many yard sales. I just let my family know, I am crafting now (read cheap out of work) so send me stuff to use, and I try to make them something with what they send.

Pm fellow craftsters and swap small stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009 07:41:09 AM »

I'm just north of Edmonton and often come there to shop....this is one that we haven't yet found.  I would love the address (okay maybe not love as my 17 year old already hauls home copious amounts of uh...crap to save it from the landfill Roll Eyes)  Our town has a great thrift store where the profits go to the hospital for new equipment, other towns I have lived in have Take it Or Leave it centers which I have picked up amazing things at (it constantly amazes me the furniture that people throw away)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
mink_bikini

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009 06:26:45 PM »

I'm just north of Edmonton and often come there to shop....this is one that we haven't yet found.  I would love the address (okay maybe not love as my 17 year old already hauls home copious amounts of uh...crap to save it from the landfill Roll Eyes)  Our town has a great thrift store where the profits go to the hospital for new equipment, other towns I have lived in have Take it Or Leave it centers which I have picked up amazing things at (it constantly amazes me the furniture that people throw away)

Hey there, don't know what made me check this thread again after months and months but I've PM'd you the address.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

notanotherxerox
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010 11:26:48 AM »

I've heard about a few places like this but none even remotely close to me. Does anyone know how I can find out if theres something like this in my area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a 4th of July Cherry Pie Cake
How to Make Ice Cream Cake Cones
No-Bake Chocolate Wafer Cake Recipe
How to Prepare Rainbow Cupcakes
Red, White, and Blue Ice Pops Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...