A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
242 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade bubble mailers! **Tutorial Added  (Read 34680 times)
Tags for this thread: martha_stewart , tutorial , envelope  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RagnazIdnar
« on: August 22, 2008 05:32:29 PM »

Hi there!
I wanted to share these bubble mailers that I made this afternoon. I am out of the standard store-bought kind, but have a few orders that need to be shipped out this afternoon. I didn't have a lot of time to run around buying shipping supplies, so I dug through a box of craft supplies that I recently ordered online, and viola! bubble wrap! So I set to work making some small bubble mailers out of paper and recycled bubble wrap!
The paper is Martha Stewart paper that was on sale at my local craft store. I think it is supposed to be wrapping paper, I'm not sure. It was in the Clearance section for $1 a roll, originally priced at $7 each. I thought that it was cute, and for a buck a roll I grabbed a few not knowing what I'd do with them. Each mailer is 5x7 inches.

Two mailers (each has the pattern going a different way):

Flipped over so you can see the closure flap on the back:

A close up (kinda blurry, sorry) that shows the bubble wrap inside:

Hey, glad you like them. Here is a tutorial that I made for them in case you want to try your own. Sorry about the juvenile images- I made it in Illustrator because I am now out of bubble wrap and can't show you through photos. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
For supplies you will need:
- Decorative paper that is medium to heavy weight (scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, etc)
- Bubble wrap (the standard kind, not the stuff with the giant bubbles)
- White glue, or a heavy-duty glue stick. (You can also use permanent scrapbook adhesive tape)
- Clear tape
-Scissors or paper cutter
-Ruler
-Spray adhesive (optional)

Step One:
Take a piece of decorative paper and cut it to be 11 x 9 inches.
Then, fold it following the graph below. (This is for an evelope that is 5x7, for a bigger envelope just double the width and add an inch for the "flap" on the side, and allow .5 in on the bottom and 1.5 in on the top for flaps also)

Step Two:
Cut off the pieces marked in the diagram

Your paper will look like this:

Leave on the table right side down for the following steps.

Step Three:
Cut two pieces of bubble wrap that are approximately 4.5 x 6.5 inches (slightly larger is better than too small)
and glue, bubble side down (so the smooth part faces towards you), to the wrong side of the  paper inside the two 5x7 inch pieces. (The part without the pattern) Leave about .25 inches on each side.
I glued mine with spray adhesive, but white glue will work ok for this. Be patient and let the glue dry if you use white glue. AND spread white glue thinly so the paper doesn't get wrinkles and warp where the glue made it too soggy.

Step Four:
Once the glue is dry, use clear tape (packaging tape or scotch tape work fine) to tape down the top edge of the bubble wrap as marked in the diagram. This keeps it from peeling up when you fill the envelope.

Step Five:
Put glue on the bottom two flaps of the paper and fold the envelope together. Press the bottom flaps together firmly and allow to dry. These will be secure if you used good glue, but if you are worried you can tape this seam. Your envelope will be connected on the bottom, but open with a 1 inch flap on the right side, and a 1.5 inch flap on the top like this:

Step Six:
Put glue on the side flap, and fold over, securing it to the back of the envelope. For additional security, tape the flap as well. (This one likes to peel up otherwise!)

Now your envelope is done! Fill it and either glue or tape the top flap shut. If you have a solid color, dark colors, or busy pattern, you will want to affix white mailing labels on the front to write you addresses on it. If you make some of these, I'd love to see pictures!
Happy mailing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010 07:04:47 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com
SugarySweet
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008 05:42:40 PM »

That's a really cute idea. Did you glue them together??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linda P
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008 05:57:56 PM »

What a cool idea!  I love them, so much neater than the plain old store bought ones!  What type of glue did you use?
Linda P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endlessly_intricate
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008 06:13:32 PM »

Really awesome!  You could save so much money making your own... plus they're customizable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelleibean
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008 07:13:16 PM »

I always buy the colored/patterned bubble mailers.  These are soooo cute. I'd love to hear your process, that is, if you don't mind sharing...

edited to add:
I made my own padded mailer last week. The only thing I did differently is that I used clear contact paper on the outside. I scored the paper backing in the appropriate placed to affix the wrapping paper and then went from there. the contact paper flaps left worked at the tape and to seal the envelope once it was full. My mom said it arrived intact!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010 04:07:04 AM by shelleibean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paulasews
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008 12:52:05 AM »

this is such a great idea, they would be great for a neat way of wrapping a fragile gift as well, even if it weren't being mailed, thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

designsbyvanessa!
Designs by Vanessa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008 05:29:15 AM »

Thanks for the info!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Designs by Vanessa Etsy Shop ♥ www.designsbyvanessa.etsy.com
Designs by Vanessa Blog ♥ http://designsbyvanessa.blogspot.com
waiting4beckett
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008 09:48:06 AM »

What a fantastic idea! Thanks so much for the tutorial! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008 10:15:28 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing your idea and your tutorial! I had seen this when you first posted, and was thinking about it today when I was buying a bubble mailer for a swap item. Now that I know how to make them, I'll be saving myself a bunch of money!

Thanks again for such a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
nutfish1
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008 10:30:17 AM »

Wow - this is a great way to save money and be customiz-able!!  How cute and thanks much for the Tutorial!

This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 3/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 6/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 11/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 4/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 5/12
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...