A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 228235 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maggiedoll
« Reply #1030 on: July 24, 2011 05:42:52 PM »

Help!  I've gotten up the nerve to make a Civil War corset, but can't find the steel boning/busk I need.  Does anyone know of local sources in the DFW area?  Don't mind driving, but don't want to wait on an on-line order.  Need the corset before I start trying to fit dresses.  Thanks!!!! 
Getting corset supplies locally is next to impossible. 
There's Laci's in LA
There's Vogue Fabrics in Illinois, which is the US distributor for Farthingales, and I'm not even sure if they have them in their actual store. 
There's Grannd in New Jersey.
And to the best of my knowledge, that's about it so far as brick-and-mortar corset supply stores.  Unless you want to drive literally across the country, you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and order online. 

Electra Designs Corsetry is in TX.  You could try contacting them, but it's a long shot, Alexis Black is a corsetier, not a supplies retailer.

Corsetry supplies just can't generally be had locally. 
You could do a mockup of your corset using cable ties or duct strapping for boning and a heavy duty zipper or front lacing for the front closure if you just need to be able to have a temporary corset for fitting your dress. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1031 on: July 24, 2011 06:42:31 PM »

Farthingales is literally a half hour drive from my house. I hate that I still have to buy online... Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashgraykitsune
« Reply #1032 on: August 23, 2011 05:07:14 PM »

Oh man, this is really nice! I've been meaning to start making my own, because my bust and hips are too big for most of the corsets I could buy commerically, and the plastic boning bruises my ribs. My wonderful old steel-boned and busked corset was incredible, and I miss it so much; half my back problems are from not being able to wear it anymore. Thank you, all of you, for laying out the basics for a learner like me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashleyu
« Reply #1033 on: October 14, 2011 01:24:30 AM »

Hi guys, so I am making my own dress for my sororities formal coming up and am doing a hi lo dress with the bottom half looking similar to this
http://www.christinagowns.com/sherri-hill-royal-dress-8300-in-stock.html
but I don't know what the top should look like. I originally wanted something like this
http://www.promgirl.com/shop/dresses/viewitem-PD587177
from the waist up so that I could cover the elastic of my "circle skirt" with the wrap but I am starting to think it might look awkward to have such a gathered top with such a flat bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make it a more flat corset-like bodice? I don't want lacing, I am okay with a zipper and I know I will need boning.

I am also playing with the idea of a sweetheart neck but I don't know how to work that it. Any suggestions would be great as well as descriptions on how to go about making it, I have never made this kind of a dress before!!!

Thanks!! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: October 14, 2011 05:20:45 AM »

Are you planning on making it two pieces, or are you going to attach the skirt to the top?  If you attach, you won't need elastic.  However, it may be easier to make it in two pieces.  Check out this pattern: http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6343-products-13884.php?page_id=493  It's a costume pattern, but you could still use the top of it to make a smooth, fitted corset-style (it's not a real corset, but it's got a similar shape, and boning) top.  You can always sub out the back lacing for a separating zipper.  You may want to shorten it a couple inches, to give the higher waist look in the photos you posted.  And it's got a sweetheart neckline!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
me04071986
« Reply #1035 on: February 14, 2012 03:56:11 PM »

Ok, so after reading all 100+ pages of this post, I still didn't find the ONE piece of help/info that I was looking for Sad

I am not new to sewing or to using boning. I've made a few corset and corset style tops before. My problem, is I've acquired a pattern (with no instructions) that has a bust gore (or possibly termed gusset as I've seen). I can not seem to get this piece to look right. The point always has a "buckle" to it, distorting the piece it is inserted into.

Any of you ladies that have constructed items with a bust gore, any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've scoured the internet for hours only to find no answer to my question!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm just another stitch in time...
klnelson11
« Reply #1036 on: March 01, 2012 09:47:48 AM »

can you post a picture or describe it better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SmillaSnow
« Reply #1037 on: April 22, 2012 07:55:12 AM »

I am not new to sewing or to using boning. I've made a few corset and corset style tops before. My problem, is I've acquired a pattern (with no instructions) that has a bust gore (or possibly termed gusset as I've seen). I can not seem to get this piece to look right. The point always has a "buckle" to it, distorting the piece it is inserted into.

Here's how I insert a gusset:
- staystitch around the point of the gusset on the corset piece
- sew one side of the gusset in place
- clip very carefully to the point on the corset piece to release any tension
- sew up the other side of the gusset.

As you're an experienced sewer I assume this is what you're doing. What seam finish are you using? If it looks fine as a simple seam and then distorts when you try to flat fell it (or whatever), there's your problem. Another possible explanation is that the bust gusset piece just wasn't cut/drafted properly for the corset's bust gusset opening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1038 on: August 29, 2012 06:40:40 PM »

Did  quick search, can't find the answer. My first, full bust corest, the 2 last bones, keep coming through the fabric!
I have sewed both back in, regular stitch, and zig zag to cover the holes the bone pierced. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix it?
Maybe take a tap of glue and put it on the tip of the bone, and then try and cover the slit with a piece of fabric from the inside?
That's all I can think of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #1039 on: January 24, 2013 02:00:22 PM »

Did  quick search, can't find the answer. My first, full bust corest, the 2 last bones, keep coming through the fabric!
I have sewed both back in, regular stitch, and zig zag to cover the holes the bone pierced. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix it?
Maybe take a tap of glue and put it on the tip of the bone, and then try and cover the slit with a piece of fabric from the inside?
That's all I can think of.

What kind of boning did you use? The pieces of boning that keep poking out, are those the pieces that go over your bust?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand Resolution and Resizing in Photoshop
How to Use Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Get Started with Adobe Bridge
How to Use Metadata in Bridge
How to Understand Bridge Tools
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...