A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Desigual collection (advice on making)  (Read 9140 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CatandCrossbones
« on: August 22, 2008 05:56:11 AM »

Hi,
I really love the 1st and 3rd coats (across) herehttp://www.desigual.com/#/mujer/
With the patchwork one, has anyone attempted anything similar that can give any tips or advice?
And the 3rd wool sort of one, what is the method how they do the wool thing (sorry bad english there Cheesy) and what is it called?
The 8th jumper (2nd row), has anyone made anything similar with a pattern?
I think i posted this in the right place but tell me if it is in the wrong place,
thanks Cheesy Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiggyjn
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008 11:48:27 AM »

I have no idea how to make these things, but just wanted to comment to say, i was on holiday in a small town in spain last week and walked into a Desigual shop having never heard of it before, and me and my friend were both like 'WOW' at EVERYthing.. such lush fabrics, kinda patchwork but looking designer, not hippy. i was so inspired i started chopping up stuff and sewing bits on my bag, and embroidering it that very night in the youth hostel till my travel-sized-emergency-sewing-kit ran out of thread! sad i know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008 04:29:38 PM »

For the first coat the fabrics may be sewn together in yardage first, then cut to the pattern.  Or the pattern may be cut up into pieces, then  reconstructed of the different fabrics.  If you try this, don't forget to include seam allowance on the cut up pattern pieces.

I think the third coat the design is felted on or more likely embroidered on with various yarns and threads.  I would try machine sewing   different colored threads and yarns onto a coat of that shape.  This would be less difficult than felting, though very time-consuming.  It's a fantastic look.

I love these coats!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008 07:48:58 AM »

1st coat - The word you were probably looking for is quilted although since the layers don't seem to be sewn together (which is what make a quilt a quilt) it probably should be called "patchwork". Since much of the patchwork seems to follow the jacket seam lines I would guess the pattern was cut into sections, then those section were cut out of fabric (with seam allowance add as Ludi said), sew the sections together, press the seam allowance open, zigzag along both sides of each seam in a nice contrasting color (from the front it will look better, this is mostly for design but will also make those seams easier to manage), then follow the pattern to sew the jacket together.

3rd coat - I think you need to find the fabric they used because I doubt they "made" the fabric. You could lay a variety of yarns all over your fabric then sort of "quilt" them down by sewing all over the top of them in a "stipple" pattern. To make it easier you could spray the fabric with quilt baste spray (washout adhesive) before you lay the yarns down and again after the yarn is down to hold down a layer of washaway stabalizer. You could have problems with random loops not getting secured down so you would need serious stitching all over the place. I have seen this sort of thing done with fabric scraps and yarns layed down but they were covered with a very sheer organza or even vinyl then made into purse/totebag. This holds the yarns down better but even the sheer organza showes. I think doing this for enough fabric for a coat like that would be a serious PITA and washaway stabalizer is not cheap. Maybe for a short jacket or vest.

8th Jumper/Sweater is definately knitted not sewn. I don't think you can get the look by sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009 10:12:00 AM »

I've seen this brand for the first time today and the coats are beautiful in the flesh, they are indeed made of a patchwork of fabrics, zigzagged along the seams, in some cases embroidered over the top....the front facing pieces are also vivid colours, with the brandname having more embroidery inside.

downside...very very expensive and very small fitting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rotisserie Style Chicken Recipe
Mac and Cheese Recipe
Grilled and Boiled Corn on the Cob Recipes
Boston Butt Steak Recipe
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...