A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,465
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple T Tunic pattern?  (Read 18588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bayleesan
« on: August 21, 2008 05:48:01 PM »

I have found some online, but they are more complicated (12 peices or more?) , or too simple (2 peices). My aunt usues something she calls "rectangular construction" her tunics are way simpler. She made two for my daughter for SCA garb, but I was thinking of making some shirt legnth tunics for fall winter. A better pattern would be a big help, because I have a feeling if I muscle my way through it blind, I will be wasting some fabric. If anyone knows of anything? TIA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008 11:38:29 PM »

There is a raglan t pattern on youcanmakethis that I've tried once and it looks pretty good, and it's VERY detailed in instructions on how to make it the exact length you want.  I adjusted it to be more a-line for a dress, and it also comes with a hood pattern (this is why I bought it!).  It's 5 pieces (front, back, two sleeves and collar) and raglans are very easy to put together although as always I have trouble with collars!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bayleesan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008 06:32:04 AM »

not to sound dumb, but...What is raglan?

I really like that site, but I have a hard time fidning anything on it because it is orgnaized poorly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008 06:54:17 AM »

Raglan is when the sleeves are cut straight on the diagonal up to the collar (rather than on the curve and then attached to the bodice).  They are easier to sew because you don't have to attach sleeves to the bodice on the curve.  And the collar is attached to top of both front/back bodice and both left/right sleeves, where a normal shirt is front and back bodice only.  Here is a terrible drawing to illustrate:

Clear as mud, right?!  Cheesy

Agree with you about youcanmakethis site design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bayleesan
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008 12:03:27 PM »

I found it on the site, by searchimg Google. Gof gure. I get it now. I do not get along so well with stretch Jersey, too much of a rookie sewer. Though I agree that pattern would be great for my kid. I was hoping for a pattern like this one http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Tunics/TUNICS.HTML that was perhaps a little less complicated!!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008 02:24:45 PM »

Jeez, that looks heaps complicated!  So, you're looking to make it from non-stretch material?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Morrghan92
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008 04:20:17 PM »

Don't let the number of pieces intimidate you. Rectangular construction is super easy once you understand the pieces. For a child I would omit the center front and center back gores as they are fussy to insert, and not necessary. Break down the assembly into parts sleeves, neck, side gores, attach sleeves, attach side gores, sew side seams, hem.
This is a simplified version of the same style construction.

In my layout I don't show a cutting line for the gussets (armpit piece). For an adult I usually use a 6" square cut across the bias. For a child you can make this much smaller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, I am living in the Wrong Century.
Morrghan92
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008 04:28:24 PM »

This is the way I lay out my tunics Before I sew them

Also check out Drea Leed's page for the Elizabethan Smock Generator. This will help you draft a pattern.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, I am living in the Wrong Century.
bayleesan
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008 04:55:45 PM »

Thank you! It was the front gores I was trying to avoid the most. In large part because I have two in the closet here that look like your pattern so I can use them for referance. Hoepfully next week I will find time to make a pattern and give it a try. This weekend I need to finish up the uphosltery for the doll house we are making for DD's birthday on monday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008 07:41:29 PM »

Ingenious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make Coconut Shrimp Soup With Ramen
How to Make Cheesy Ramen Noodles
Pretend-Perfect Pad Thai
Make Pho Using Ramen Noodles
Try This Creamy Sriracha Ramen
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Your Own Patron Saint
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...