A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purses in nalbinding: 'Mystic spirale, but I'll change the name' [lots of pics]  (Read 4902 times)
Tags for this thread: nalbinding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 21, 2008 03:03:07 PM »

My first posting, I'm very excited! Since I have discovered craftster, I'm addcited. Thanks to everyone for all the inspiration! Thousands of things that I just love. But... no nalbinding. Excuse me - 140,000 members and just one single entry for nalbinding? No way! Please tell me that I just don't know the correct name under which I will find a hundred postings of my favourite technique...
Anyway, I chose nalbinding for my first posting. Hope you like it.
For a good introduction about what nalbinding is please look here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=84590.0

I do a lot of nalbinding. It's perfect for the daily ride on the bus, because it doesn't get a mess when you stop working. And it is quite new to me, and therefor fascinating. What I like is that I make my equipment from scratch. OK, not the wool, that I buy handspun, but I carve my needle (a popsickle stick, a knife and two minutes is all you need for the basic shape) and dye the wool.
I started using it for early medieval reenactment, but right now I just use it for whatever I do in wool. Thanks to craftster, I'm now into amigurumi, and of course I do them in nalbinding. Yes, I will post them. But for now, my beginner's works: Purses. Everyone can do these, so if you despair of the hat or sock or mitten patterns that are avaiable for nalbinding, forget them and start with a purse. They are made in one piece, working in rounds for the body and in rows for the lid.
(Sorry, not pattern yet - this first posting is exciting enougj as it is.)

My first purse:

front side, closed

Seen from the back with the lid open.
Handspun wool (not spun by me), hand dyed with rose leaves (a rose bush had just been cut very short in front of our house and I couldn't resist it), nalbound in Korgen Stitch F1 UOO/UUOO.

I needed a purse quickly for a new medieval outfit and tried the newest dye (leaves of roses). I thought it was too boring in colors, but it turned out quite pleasant when worn with a linen tunic. The flowers are no part of the design, I added them just for the picture. The purse works fine, but I am not happy about the loose stitches, so I switched to Oslo stitches for my other purses.

My second purse:

I call it the Bollywood purse, because I stitched it while I was watching a bollywood movie on TV, which gives you a lot of time for progress Smiley

handspun (not by me), black wool from black sheep, yellow wool hand dyed with nettle. The stitch is mostly Oslo Stitch F! UO/UOO with a single row of Danish Stitch F1 O/UO
The pattern is mine.

The yellow was my first attempt at dyeing larger amounts of wool, and I fell totally in love with it, because it turned out neon yellow! Unfortunately, the neon brilliance didn't last and the wool ist now an ordinary yellow. It still looks great with black, but not the way it used to. The pattern sort of happened automatically when I started to stitch the lid. I wanted to emphasize the power of my great yellow and the contrast of the colors and therefor wanted the spirale. The size is the size of my modern purse because the nalbound purse was supposed to hide modern stuff on a medieval fair. I use it for a lot of purposes now.

The third and fourth:

The lid of the fouth purse is still under construstion on this picture. You can see how it was done from the outside inwards.

Handspun wool, black and white from black and white sheep, green hand dyed with red maple leaves. Oslo Stitch F1 UO/UOO
The pattern is mine. I think the name should be 'Mystic Spirale but I think of changing the name' Smiley

I loved the spirale pattern so much that I had to do it again, this time with three colors. The making is the same as with the first spirale purse: all done in one piece without seams, and the spirale worked from outside in. Only this time I made a bigger purse, to hide both my modern purse and my cell phone in it when wearing a medieval outfit.
The colors turned out real energetic (unfortunately the green is not captured well by the picture), but I had some trouble getting smaller in the spirale. It's not plain and even, I had to flatten it later.

still missing straps to carry it, but already used to stash nalbinding works in progress. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't capture how green the color is. The picture above, in the grass, looks so unnatural, but the green wool really looks like that!

That was a long posting, sorry. If you still want to see more pictures, visit my blog (sorry, not in English, but lots of pictures):
www.free-blog.in/rubysblog
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 03:04:39 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008 03:27:10 PM »

This is soo cool. There was a post on Nalbinding once before but no good details on what you can do with it! Your bags are so neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008 03:54:09 PM »

Actually, I'm still finding out what you can do with nalbinding. I experiment with colors and stitches, and at the moment I shape threedimensional things like dolls and amigurumi, exploring space (Who'd have thought that you just need a wooden needle for that, not a rocket?).
At the moment I operate on the assumption that there is hardly a thing that can't be done with a needle and a thread, and I try not to reproduce crochet or knitting patterns but to explore the unique possibilities of the nalbinding stitches.
Like what they did to the yellow spirale, adding all those power lines, I look for things like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Argonkitten

Y'see, madness, as you know, is like gravity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008 04:18:57 PM »

very nice, I love how much I'm learning by just looking and other projects! I had only seen nailbinding once before, and it didn't sink in with me how cool it could be. I'm very interested in learning now, great work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

=^..^=
Katie
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008 04:40:53 PM »

Grin I love the texture that it creates....never heard of it before, but I'm definitely going to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
Ahoy Sailor!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 07:27:49 PM »

I will be honest, I had no clue as to what nail binding was...so i googled it and i came across this site.
http://home.arcor.de/bedankbar/index-eng.htm
seemed to have a lot of info and techniques....just thought it may help a bit Smiley
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 07:28:15 PM by Bloody Hell » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008 04:34:08 PM »

Yes, that site is very instructive. It teaches the thumb-catching method which I never really got the hang of, but it's good to get started. I tried to give a tutorial for the Korgen stitch in the freehand method (my favourite) on my blog, but my camera is not very good and didn't get the details like I wanted them, so I gave up on making tutorials.
I regret that now. I didn't expect people to know basically nothing about nalbinding. Now I feel tempted to talk everyone into it Smiley - but that would mean doing lots of tutorials. A scary thought, it leaves me a bit breathless. Actually nalbinding is not that complicated once you grasp the idea. There's not such a number of topics to be  covered to get started. But that is a project I just hadn't on my (long, long) list. Hm, give me some time to rewrite my list, and we'll see...
In the meantime, the best advice I can give you is: Find someone you can watch doing this, that answers a lot of questions. Of course I'd be happy to answer questions. But give the visual learning a try anyway. If you like to start with the thumb-catching method, there are some tutorial videos on youtube.
And this is a list of learning videos:
http://www.flinkhand.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=144&sid=1a94fefb3300a238fe9cd0312702202f
Follow the links on "Nadelbinden". The videos are not in English, but kind of self-explanatory anyway.
And yes, nalbinding is not derived from "nail" but from a Norse or Swedish word for needle. :-)
To show you how much a beginner's work my stuff is, look at the blog of this woman with the most intimidating perfection in stitches:
http://die-petersens.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogP art=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=cat%3dNalbinding

@hippiejo: First victim, yessss! Smiley Can't wait to see what you will come up with. I know I'll love it! So far, every nalbinder I've met developped her very unique style and taste immediately, and all are fascinating. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008 03:52:42 AM »

I'm just a beginner in naalbinding, but I've been searching craftster for it for quite some tie and it's nowhere to find.
I find it to be a cool tecnique but time consuming. Pulse warmers has to be the easiest to make though Smiley
I did make a purse to and I'll post pics some time soon Smiley (about the same time I post pics of the latest two years crafting)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
Novenastar
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008 05:25:40 AM »

Oh wow - amigurimi in nalbinding? Oooh - please post more on that! Instructions please - all the nalbinding instructions I have found are more of the traditional things, which is fine, but I would like to see new things happening with it.

I have visited your blog, and your work is very impressive. I used to crochet all the time, but now have Repetitive Strain Injury in both wrists, and have been loom-knitting to use up my yarn (because I am not giving up my yarn), but Nalbinding looks like it is very easy on the wrists, and I want something easier to use on the subway (I have broken three plastic looms already!), and something I can take on airplanes without worrying about airport security (my unbroken looms have metal parts). I love doll-making, and the ability to do amigurimi without killing my wrists is very very attractive. I believe I will have to try this.

OMG - I just realized you did Susan!!! Is that a nalbinded Susan and Death of Rats? I *love* Terry Pratchett!!!
And Daria, and yes, I do recognize the quote. Thanks so much for posting your things, and for sharing that needles can be made out of popsicle sticks, I may go out and get some now. I certainly have a lot of yarn waiting for me.

Edited to add that I made a needle out of the handle of a plastic spoon I found, I sanded the top and made a hole in the bottom. I am starting a pair of pulsewarmers - will post my progress. Thanks again, I'm having fun with it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008 08:37:09 AM by Novenastar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Osiris Cultist: Ohh. Fill the Jackal's head with OIL. Now it makes sense! At first I thought you said scalding hot 'voile'.
Osiris High Priest: What the hell is voile?
Osiris C.: It's a soft, sheer fabric. I warmed some up in the dryer.
Osiris HP: What kind of torture is that!?!
- Venture Bros.
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008 10:18:19 AM »

@ewushka: after such a long time, my purses still get comments, that is so amazing. Yes, yes, please post your nalbinding purse! I also wish there were tons of nalbound items on craftster Smiley Nalbinding is slower than knitting, that's right, but I got used to it. I do nalbinding riding a bus, so I like that it never unwinds. If you make wristlets, keep an eye on how tight they are, because they will not be that flexible as you are used to from knitting. A friend of mine has lots of trouble getting  into her nalbound mittens for this reason Smiley

@Novenastar: Ah, someone who likes nalbinding and Discworld and Daria at the same time, oh, and even my blog Smiley If you look into the pattern section of the blog, I have translated a turtle pattern into English. Well, at least most of it Smiley Man, you never realize how much you talk until you have to translate all of it. Smiley I promise to finish it somewhen soon. Your comment is very motivating.
Well, instructions, oh, my... I always feel uncomfortable about not being able to show instructions for all those on craftster who have asked... I always think my camera is not good enough, but maybe I should give it a try anyway. On my blog, there is one chapter on the Korgen stitch with an instruction for freehanded stitching. But I am not so happy about how it turned out. I really need to borrow someone's camera.
Teehee, the wrist problem.... I have something similar going on with knitting. People always wonder why I do complicated patterns in knit, but if I repeat the same knitting moves for two hours, my sinews catch fire Smiley That's what you get from too much jump & run games, that and lightning quick reflexes Smiley
If nalbinding hurts your wrists, too, you could try changing between thumbcatching and freehanded technique.
Thanks for sharing the spoon idea. I think I should try more different materials, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elisa Albert on Her Book: the Book of Dahlia
The List Book Trailer by Tara Ison
Tips on Writing from Philippa Gregory
Melissa Anelli Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Frank Lipman Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...