A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Deterrent or Blocker?  (Read 2065 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

M Fox
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008 10:22:30 PM »

It wouldn't be pretty, but it might work until you get a better idea - but how about checking yard sales for baby gates?  You could probably get them cheap at a yard sale, and who knows, maybe you'll be able to paint them or do some other decorations to them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AfterKate
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008 06:39:45 AM »

I tried a baby gate on my stairs once as a speed bump (they run up and down the stairs together like it's their own personal race track) and it didn't even slow them down. Unfortunately, I think the gap is too short (in height) for a baby gate too.  Undecided

I never understood how bubble wrap could be a cat deterrent; my cats LOVE that stuff, it would definitely attract them! Same with fragrant things; they investigate it, then if they find it is not edible they just knock it over and move on.

My roomie really loved the idea of the beads on some clear wire, so we may try that. She gets some of the setting sun that comes through that window, so we both think it would look really nice if it reflected through some large prismy-cut beads.

I made some mini string art on my walls last night, and it looked amazing, so I may try that to fill some of the larger spaces. I'm checking out that Habitat store today too, I'm so excited! Woohoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free knitting patterns and sewing tutorials, plus my ramblings on all kinds of crazy stuff:
http://www.katesandusky.com/wordpress

Afterkate.etsy.com
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008 07:30:56 AM »

I also recommend lace curtains as someone else mentioned.  It stops my cat from going out the window.  In my case I didn't make a frame for it, I put up 4 hooks, one in each corner, and just hooked the lace to it.

I sympathise with your jumping cats.  I had a cat some years ago who gave birth to a litter of kittens.  Imagine my horror one day when I walked into the kitchen to find 2 mewing kittens (about 2 weeks old!) on top of the kitchen cabinets, and my cat sitting on the counter with a third kitten in her mouth.    ARG!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beckster
Never met a needle I couldn't work with

Coffee and yarn are my two best friends.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008 09:07:27 AM »

Maybe you could try putting packing tape on the ledge to keep them from climbing up there.  I guess cats don't like sticky stuff on their paws.  At least you can kind of hide the packing tape and it won't interfere with anything too much.  And it might work better than fabric curtains as they will be less likely to claw on them.  Worth trying anyways!

I used packing tape on my couches to keep my cat from clawing on them.  It worked I think.  I mean, I never saw her clawing on them after that.  Also, you could try balloons.  If they pop they scare the kitty and they don't wanna mess with them anymore.  I dunno, packing tape and balloons worked for me!  I hope that maybe it will work for you! Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FUN FUR IS MUPPET MURDER!!! 
Wist: http://wists.com/br549xt93
Ravelry: rebecky
mountaingrrl
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008 09:51:32 AM »

Okay, it's not a screen, but my friend has two cats that are not allowed certain areas...but being cats they test that each day. What she did is she bought some of that clear plastic that people put out to protect carpets (http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/CWNCP0312CL.html) The link is really expensive, but you can buy it at K-Mart, Lowes, etc. I had some in my apartment in college to put my bike on. Anyway, underneath it has spiky pieces that are originally supposed to keep the plastic from sliding on the carpet...but flip it over and it's cat deterrent! They hate the spiky pieces up under there paws and stay off where she has it. I bet putting a sheet of that up there would keep them off, plus it wouldn't block the openings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008 10:18:24 AM »

I don't know if you have a plastic store around you but maybe your hardware stores nearby may sell it. You can buy sheets of clear acrylic plastic, glue the edges together and place them against the kitchen hole, maybe hold it with some tape. That would let light through and even kind of muffle sounds for privacy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008 04:25:43 PM »

I would take and build a frame from square wooden dowels (pretty cheap at home depot) and get some rice paper or vellum (or both) from a craft store (I'd wait for it to be on sale just cause I am a cheapie) then build a frame to fit the space and use the paper for detail, both rice paper and vellum are both very translucent and actually quite pretty it would fill the area and fufill what you need them to (fill the space and look pretty and still let plenty of light shine through. 

as for art for the walls, I would consider taking scrapbooking paper and any left over wood bits from the other project and create some square art by wrapping and gluing the edges of the papers over the boards on the ends.  I would group them with a number of different styles and do groups of them so that they fill the space and add color and interest to the space without detracting from the area. 

If you need more of a 'visual' on the window bits I could easily mod your photos and show you a few different ways it could be done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
iheartmyTHO
Experiment With A Chemist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008 06:41:11 PM »

what about glass blocks?  i'm not too sure how expensive they are, but you can find them at home depot/lowe's.  and they will still let natural light in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AfterKate
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008 08:38:24 PM »

Wow, thanks, you guys all have some really creative ideas!

I have decided that because the downstairs is black and red, I want the upstairs to be different but not to clash. (Like my old coral/orange did with the red, ick!) I decided on pink, green and brown, with some cherry blossoms for the loft decor.

As for the cats, my roomie really liked the idea of beaded wires, but we haven't done it yet. The packing tape is a great temporary solution, and I also like the idea of the plastic with the little spikes (Especially for my upstairs loft gap). We'll just have to start testing things to see what works!

Thanks, and let me know if you have anymore ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free knitting patterns and sewing tutorials, plus my ramblings on all kinds of crazy stuff:
http://www.katesandusky.com/wordpress

Afterkate.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Pound Cake Recipe
Are Double Stuff Oreos Really Double The Cream?
90 Second Java Mocha Shortbread Recipe
Gourmet Smores
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Popsicle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...