A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,922
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Deterrent or Blocker?  (Read 2286 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AfterKate
« on: August 21, 2008 02:22:09 PM »

I just moved in to a new apartment; it's huge, and I love it!

The only problems are my cats. They sneak in to my roomie's room at night, and while she is very tolerant of them, they wake her up and scare her!

This is how they sneak in:

They go in through the kitchen, and since her door is usually closed, they can't get out and wake her up again...
She has put picture frames up on the ledge, but the cats just knock them over and make more noise.

Also, I live in the upstairs loft, with a 15-20 foot drop to the floor (measurements: not my strength) which the cat, of course, has jumped off more than once instead of using the stairs (which just take too long, apparently). It doesn't seem to hurt him, but I have a teenager-ish aged kitten that is not big enough, and she keeps trying to copy her big ol' daddy and jump too.

Clearly, this all must be stopped.

So if anyone has any good ideas for a screen/block of some sort (preferably that will still let light in; that is the only source of natural light) for the kitchen gap, or any ideas for a jump-deterrent for the loft gap, please let me know!

Also, if you can think of anything neat (and inexpensive!) to put on those blank walls (we JUST moved in a few days ago) it would be very helpful!

Thanks so much in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free knitting patterns and sewing tutorials, plus my ramblings on all kinds of crazy stuff:
http://www.katesandusky.com/wordpress

Afterkate.etsy.com
funtobewith
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008 02:29:12 PM »

maybe you could fill the space with some foam pieces... to eliminate a landing spot... but in case they jumped up anyway, at least not something heavy to fall off, seems like they might eventually "forget" they ever jumped up there and then you can remove the foam... look in and around dumpsters and cut something to fit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
AfterKate
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008 02:39:04 PM »

Thanks, that MAY work, but I'm worried it would be too ugly. The picture is taken from an awkward angle, but you can see what is on the ledge from the kitchen and it is almost a focal point in her room.

I may suggest some sort of folding, fabric-covered screen, but I don't know how sheer it would have to be to let light in.

Also, the big loft ledge is 142" long, if that helps anyone's sense of scale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free knitting patterns and sewing tutorials, plus my ramblings on all kinds of crazy stuff:

Afterkate.etsy.com
saxonsweetie
Can't talk... craftsturbating...

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008 03:00:16 PM »

What if you made a screen using clear acrylic panels? They aren't really cheap, so that would be a big drawback. I don't know if you have a Habitat ReStore near you, but they always have windows and stuff from old houses that you can buy, and if you're clever, you might be able to rig something up that way. I thought about using a sheer fabric that you could put between two tension rods (one on top. one on bottom), but you have cats, and cats climb and tear fabric, unless your cats don't have claws.
A sheer white could let in a lot of light without letting the cats through and tension rods won't leave drill holes in the walls, unless you have stubborn cats, then you might have to screw something into the wall.
Or what about threading a bunch of large, translucent beads onto a strong, thin wire (like picture hanging wire) and stretching that between two tension rods? That could bring in a lot of light and color, but it would be very time consuming (and possible costly, depending on the beads). Just some suggestions. I would love to see what you end up doing with the space!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

$4.95 Flat Rate Box Swap-I'm stuffing my boxes!

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
hamsterdrache
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008 03:11:03 PM »

I needed a similar solution some time ago, to avoid our cats from jumping out of a window at the second floor (one of the cats got out onto the windowsill and slipped of ... fortunately she only lost one teeth, not her life).

I made a frame of wooden slats and covered it with net lace ... didn't think, it would stop the cats, but it did. After some time, they made some holes into the net lace, but then they lost the interest at this window.

Maybe this could be a way, to close your holes? I have no idea about your woodworking skills, but a rectangular frame is not too catchy to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm from Germany and do not speak English very well - if i say something stupid, please tell me. Thanks!
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 03:12:35 PM »

http://www.3-form.com/order-reclaim.php

we use 3form products at work and they offer a reclaim product. it's been used already but it's cheaper. all the panel sizes and costs vary but some of them are just super cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 03:16:56 PM »

How about tacking up a nice gauzy material as a curtain of sorts only anchoring the bottom of the curtain as well so the kittys can't get through it. You'll get light that way and hopefully stop any kitty suicide attempts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AfterKate
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008 03:22:22 PM »

Wow, great ideas!

Love the beads and the acrylic ideas... plus there is one of those Habitat stores less than FIVE miles from my apartment and I never would have known, so thanks!

Also, the idea of foam sounded so ugly, until I actually saw it! I had no idea they made pretty foam, I guess in my head it all looks like the dirty foam in the pit from my gymnastics years.

Thanks, keep 'em coming if you can, and I'll check out that Habitat store tomorrow, I hope!

P.S. I just noticed I get a 10% discount there with my student ID... I am practically shaking in anticipation!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 03:24:13 PM by AfterKate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Afterkate.etsy.com
indigo_roses
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008 06:03:19 PM »

You could try putting some bubble wrap on the flat part of the ledge. I know that it's supposed to help deter cats from jumping up onto countertops.  That wouldn't be visible, and it wouldn't block your light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
littlemiss83
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008 06:14:47 PM »

Maybe you could put one of those lattice fences for gardens and stuff in the spaces on one or both sides and in the middle put a plant in it

I know my cat hates fragrent stuff, perfume and stuff so maybe put a big strong smelling candle or something that smells really strong and is pleasent but cats wont like it

and the last possible thing i could think of is ask her to leave the door open for the cats to come in at out when they please

and when you see them climing say no and spray them with water and they might learn

if none of those work ill try to come up with some more

and as for the walls colorful picture frames maybe ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blur Faces in Videos
How to Design a Magazine Front Cover in Photoshop
How to Make a Realistic Planet in Photoshop
How to Make a Bold Simple Website Template Page in Photoshop
How to Make a Custom Twitter Layout in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...