A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dear Serious Crafty Knitters:  (Read 1000 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 21, 2008 12:21:30 PM »

I just started knitting a few months ago.  I've crocheted for several years previous, but I came to accept that patterns requiring knitting always seem much more lovely, intricate and challenging!

I've since been playing around and experimenting with all sorts of knitting techniques, ie: cables, ribbing, a bamboo stitch, etc.

Through-out my trials, I seem to have accumulated many small items and tools (and plenty of needles).  I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, and prefer to be organized, and know where all of my materials are at any given time, and I'm wondering how everyone else manages the organization of all their tools and such?

I'm also an enthusiastic sewer, so I'm just looking for ideas (other than knitting needle rolls) for a new sewing project to inspire the organization of all my new goodies!

Thanks for your help.
Sincerely,
Ellysa.
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnittinHoney
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008 12:48:13 PM »

There are quite a few idea here:

http://tipnut.com/free-patterns-for-knitting-needle-rolls-pouches-organizers/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008 01:29:38 PM »

Wow, there are plenty of ideas there!  Thank you.

That's definitely a perfect idea for knitting needles, and I'm quite sure I've already made at least two of those in the past.  What I'm more curious about people having organized, are all the little notions that I seem to continuously be losing: yarn needles, yarn threaders, markers, etc.

Any ideas for those?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 01:30:02 PM by Cinderelly » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008 06:24:24 PM »

I have all my needles, stitch markers, row counters, etc., in some of those cute little tin boxes so readily available here (don't know about the US). OF course, any time I see something with a cat on it, I have to buy it, so I have some really neat tiny boxes - and so I have one with those notions in my purse, one at the office, and several at home. (Just can't stop picking them up!). I did see that kind of box at Joanns with some gum or something in it? They work great because they're practically air tight, slim enough to slip into the pocket of your needle case, and cute also!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008 06:27:23 PM »

I have a lidded basket (I had an open basket until my boys drove me crazy yanking stuff out) for my yarn and a needle holder for the sticks..I havent attained stitch markers or row counters*hint,hint* yet..
but the needle holder has been a god send for me..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
kelliz
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 07:00:41 PM »

I keep my "notions" all together in a make-up bag.  It's a folding one that has clear pouches on each side so I can see what's in there.  It was from Avon about 6 months ago.  Before that, I tried small hard a plastic box with little dividers, I think from JoAnns.  Before that,  I made my own felted bag with a zipper on it. 

All the tiny markers and such I keep in the little plastic bag they came in.  If you don't have that anymore (or didn't have one at all), they sell little ziplock baggies in the bead section of JoAnn's.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 07:20:50 PM »

Oooh, the ideas sound fantastic!  Thanks so much for sharing.  I like all of the ideas, especially the tins.  I'm sure I could even dress them up a bit, too.  And I think I have some small ziploc bags around in my beading materials that I could utilize for super small notions.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008 08:50:40 PM »

I store all my needles and hooks in the box my computer keyboard came in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008 09:18:36 PM »

Oooh, the ideas sound fantastic!  Thanks so much for sharing.  I like all of the ideas, especially the tins.  I'm sure I could even dress them up a bit, too.  And I think I have some small ziploc bags around in my beading materials that I could utilize for super small notions.

Thanks again!
If you want some really really cute tins - they are SO cheap here (about 4 for $1?) that I'd be happy to send you some in December, next time I go to the US!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

martha_allen85
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008 09:36:40 AM »

Hello,
I have a tool box to hold all my crafty bits, the compartments are handy, and since stuff is stored in layers that can be lifted out, it's easy to find things and they don't get as tanged.
I have been meaning to make it look, well, less like a plain old toolbox...but too busy crafting I guess...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Form a Knitting Group
How to Create Scented Candles
How to Create a Paper CD Case
How to Create Bean Bag
How to Create a Paper Airplane
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...