A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turning a crib into a fortress?  (Read 1302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2008 05:35:43 AM »

I have no idea where to put this post, so I'll stick it here for now.

My daughter is 15 months old, and is quite the climber/walker. She's not a good enough climber yet to get out of her crib, but she IS talented at sticking one (or occasionally, both) legs THROUGH the bars, where they get stuck above her knees and cause much crying (and thus, little sleeping). Last night was kinda the last straw. After three weeks of no-full-night's-sleeping for both mom and baby, I cut two huge pieces of cardboard and threaded them through the bars so she couldn't get stuck. This was meant as a one-night-only solution, so now I'm fishing around for more permenant ideas. I'm sure the cardboard isn't the safest thing, and at the very least, it's bloody unattractive and will eventually decay/mold/get torn apart as she slobbers and pulls on it.

Ideas? The "blocker" would have to be stiff-- I already thought of making an oversized bumper pad, but I fear she'll just step on it as she did with her normal sized one. Plus, I don't like the idea of basically supplying her with a step stool. Wink The only thing I can think of is some sort of plasticy material like they use to make, oh, bags and fabric-covered storage, but huge and covered in fabric and possibly still woven through the bars of her crib. Beyond that, I'm arse over teakettle. Any ideas/help is much, much apprieciated. My dreams miss me, like in those sleep-med commercials, and I'm sure I'll have a much happier baby if she starts getting REAL sleep. Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
ttchica78

Left handed hooker

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008 06:23:45 AM »

My daughter does the same thing.  A few nights ago she settled down like this:

Until now, I wasn't thinking about finding a solution to it.  What if we just wove fabric in and out of the bars pretty tightly?  It's safer than bumpers because they wouldn't be pouffy enough for them to suffocate from it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 06:24:17 AM by ttchica78 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008 06:31:30 AM »

We just bought a breathable mesh bumper for our nursery.  This one:  http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266849

I bet you could make one, though?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
atlascoughed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008 06:32:16 AM »

Cute pic! I lol'ed. That's just what my daughter USED to do, 'cept now she's much bigger and stands up in there and oops, there's me having to spit on her knee to lube it up until it slides through again.  Roll Eyes

Anyhoo, the fabric could work, maybe. It'd have to be TIGHT. Otherwise it's a ladder. Wink This bears more thought...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008 06:46:29 AM »

We had the same problem with my son, and we just used the mesh breathable bumper thing that sweets posted, it worked really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GirlOutlaw
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 08:43:47 AM »

there's me having to spit on her knee to lube it up until it slides through again.  Roll Eyes

Totally been there and done that with my little girl. I would wake up in the middle of the night to screaming and there she would be her little legs wedged in tightly. Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atlascoughed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 08:49:00 AM »

That mesh bumper thing does look pretty handy. Given my current crafting workload, I may just buy that. I also don't completely trust my ability to get a DIY one tight enough... Glad I'm not the only one with this little problem, though! I'm just waiting for her to start vaulting over the side of the crib; that'll be a whole new problem. But isn't that what kids are-- ever-changing bundles of loveable problems? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kstaron
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008 03:07:00 PM »

My daughter does the same thing. At the babies r us store they have a thing called a crib tent. It fits snug inside the crib and domes over. it You can zip her in.  The great thing is that the slats of the crib are now meshed over so there are no stray legs through the bars and even if she tries to climb out, she ain't going anywhere. The only bad thing is that the crib railing doesn't really go down well to take her in out of the crib so it's a bit of a back killer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BugPop
Queen BUG!

I Was A Teenage Werewolf!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009 10:45:26 AM »

Haha! Aww. Posts like this make me so broody! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 12/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 9/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 1/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 10/12
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with Regular Braided Joining
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...