A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: awesome new paper lamps for college design classroom  (Read 11031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008 08:28:59 AM »

Alabamanda yeah it's simply a lightbulb on a cord, apparently you can buy them at Ikea but the nearest Ikea to me is an hour away so i did a search around my area, nowhere seemed to have them but i did find the parts to make it, you can buy a light socket and a cord and just attach them together pretty easily and that's what i ended up doing and it's working out quite nicely.

creatively chelsea marie i was also thinking about using these at a wedding (mine won't be for some time still but the brainstorming is tons of fun) i thought that made with a smaller template and used as a part of a centerpiece with those little LED candles inside would be really sharp. also i thought that instead of cutting out hundreds of pieces you may be able to get a print shop to dye cut them for you, i'm not sure of the exact price but i know that as far as dyes go this one would be relatively inexpensive (no tight corners, simple shape) that would save you HOURS of work and i think is definitely worth looking into!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
alabamanda
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008 05:07:33 PM »

Alabamanda yeah it's simply a lightbulb on a cord, apparently you can buy them at Ikea but the nearest Ikea to me is an hour away so i did a search around my area, nowhere seemed to have them but i did find the parts to make it, you can buy a light socket and a cord and just attach them together pretty easily and that's what i ended up doing and it's working out quite nicely.

creatively chelsea marie i was also thinking about using these at a wedding (mine won't be for some time still but the brainstorming is tons of fun) i thought that made with a smaller template and used as a part of a centerpiece with those little LED candles inside would be really sharp. also i thought that instead of cutting out hundreds of pieces you may be able to get a print shop to dye cut them for you, i'm not sure of the exact price but i know that as far as dyes go this one would be relatively inexpensive (no tight corners, simple shape) that would save you HOURS of work and i think is definitely worth looking into!

hey, thanks for answering. where did you find all the parts to make it? i think i'm going to start actually making the paper parts this week, but can you maybe explain how you made the cord-light part?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrs.dutt
GINGERS ROCK!

I LOVE MY 2 LITTLE GINGER BOYS!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008 06:03:46 PM »

so cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yarnies have Balls ~
maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008 09:54:28 AM »

yeah i got all the pieces at canadian tire hmm i'm assuming this is a strictly canadian hardware store but i'd guess that most hardware stores would sell them. basically it's just an extension cord with one of the plug ends cut off and both the wires stripped about half and inch to reveal the actual wires underneath (there should be 2 separate strands) and a light socket essentially it's just the bit in a lamp that you screw the bulb into, you can buy just that piece. then you take the two exposed wires and slide them into the two holes in the socket it's super simple. i hope that description made sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008 09:40:06 AM »

HOLY MOLY- those look awesome when they're lit up!! Amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
Silvana

Leaving the world more beautiful than I found it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008 05:14:19 PM »

Okay so I dont know if anyone has said this cause I was too much of a bum to read all the replies but!
I am making one right now out of file folders. 
You can get all sorts of cute ones at office supply places [I just used a $5 off coupon at staples and got a 12 pack for $2].
You can get 4 big panels out of each folder.

The ones I bought are heavy paper but I would assume the plastic kind would work awesomely as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Marion Cotillard Covers W Magazine With A Nutcracker
What To Wear To Subconsciously Attract Men
Vogue Magazine Reveals Their 10 Best Dressed American Women Of The Year
Lady In Red: Rihanna Rocks Barely There Calvin Klein Dress
Kristen Stewart Goes From Sexy To Modest In A Day
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...