A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Duct Tape Dress Form  (Read 1555 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FaeoftheRoots
« on: August 20, 2008 09:16:41 PM »

So you've probably seen a billion of these so far, but here is my duct tape dress form.  My boyfriend wrapped me up in about a roll and a half.  I dug through the recycling bin for enough paper to stuff it, using magazines to sort of line the sides and especially the back.  I put a piece of cardboard in each of the holes to hold everything in and made duct tape asterisks to hold those on.  Next up, I'm going to make a stand for it, but for now, it seems to stand freely because of the sheer amount of stuff packed in.

The instructions came from Etsy Labs http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/03/dress-form-tutorial-want-to-make-exact.html and you can find my tale here: http://loriholden.blogspot.com/2008/08/duct-tape-dress-form.html it was pretty freaky being wrapped up. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's an age-old war. Like the werewolves and the vampires. I think Underworld was actually originally about crocheters and knitters but they thought it would be too controversial so they changed it to vampires and werewolves." - Joss Whedon
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008 10:07:39 PM »

I need to make one of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FaeoftheRoots
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008 10:18:09 PM »

It actually didn't take that long; about two hours including stuffing time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's an age-old war. Like the werewolves and the vampires. I think Underworld was actually originally about crocheters and knitters but they thought it would be too controversial so they changed it to vampires and werewolves." - Joss Whedon
grenouille78
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008 11:00:34 PM »

These help sooo much! I stuck a heavy duty cardboard tube through mine (pre-stuffing) and then mounted it in an old Christmas tree stand. I should have made a cardboard bottom, though, because now it's starting to slide. Whoops. Anyways... enjoy using your dress form!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008 08:05:33 AM »

I just made one of paper tape of my sister. I was wondering what to stuff it with. It seemed a waste to use polyester fiberfill! Also I was wondering how to close up the arm holes and bottom. Cardboard circles sound great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mtomlinson
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 12:08:08 PM »

I had the worst time making my duct tape dress form! My boyfriend helped me and I got really light headed and hot and I could only get through one layer before I just about passed out. It was the worst experience of my life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Coquelicot~
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 01:04:03 PM »

I got really hot and kept falling over when I made mine. Now it's turned into the leaning tower of dressform, I think your reinforcement sounds like a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making a Laptop Holder for a Photography Tripod
Sanyo Xacti DMX-CS1 HD Dual Camera Review
How to Use a Home Lighting Kit
An Inside Look on David LaChapelle Work
Using a Background in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...