A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: apparently i'm not afraid of patterns.  (Read 2953 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mixedchick
« on: August 20, 2008 06:39:31 PM »

i heart the 80s. this fabric was only $0.99 a yd so obviously it had to come home with me. it's a crazy black swirl on white background with accents in neon pink, yellow and orange. pretty obnoxious but still loveable. i used a vintage butterick see & sew pattern (i'm still learning and this worked well because there were no zippers or set-in sleeves!!) that i got from a thrift store for 25 cents. score! this dress was a dress of many firsts for me:) i usually just sew elastic right on to things but i encased it in this dress which looks so much more profesh! also, i had never used interfacing or done inseam pockets. the pockets aren't even in the pattern, i added them to challenge myself!! ....and because i think pockets on dresses are fabulous:) i also used hem facing on the hem which looks really nice. all the edges are topstitched with black thread for a little added flair. you can't really see it, but i know it's there and it makes me happy:) oh, and i obviously shortened it to a mini from the pattern...the swirly design felt overwhelming with that much length. it was too much, so i chopped it off. the pattern skirt length was super cute and flattering, though. i'm gonna make it again in a subtler fabric, for sure. maybe something gray for fall....

so, here are pics...i'm still not sure which is the best way to style it (belted? vested? belted and vested??) but i'm really proud and want to wear it out. also... this fabric isn't hideous, is it? i think i've been staring at it for too long because my opinion goes back and forth. lemme know what you think please!!!! thanks!!!!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008 04:50:35 AM by mixedchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

love is a verb, not a noun.

God is Good. God is Love.
nikkifahrenthold
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008 06:57:21 PM »

I think the "just vested" looks amazing =]
great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlasticTaco
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008 07:05:17 PM »

I really like that.  It's super cute.  I think it looks best with the belt, but honestly it looks pretty good either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samg3008
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008 02:41:28 AM »

oh i love it!! i saw the pic on the packet and though oh my whats this gonna look like, but seriously wow!!! i love it belted and with the waist coat done up - tres chic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xahhitsliz
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008 07:54:32 AM »

very very cute
i love the fabric too!
also the modifications are niiiice :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love.
- Albert Einstein
zuliblu
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 11:28:39 AM »

Hey, I think I actually made that dress in the 80's!  I love the fabric, and how versitile that dress is.  great job Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mixedchick
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 02:34:47 PM »

thanks so so much everyone for the thoughts and suggestions Grin this site makes me so happy. i love having a forum for this stuff.

so...
oh i love it!! i saw the pic on the packet and though oh my whats this gonna look like, but seriously wow!!! i love it belted and with the waist coat done up - tres chic!
i agree, the jacket on the packet pic is kinda scary...but i knew the dress had potential!

very very cute
i love the fabric too!
also the modifications are niiiice :]
thanks! i think i'm gonna add pockets everywhere they're applicable from now on, LOL!

Hey, I think I actually made that dress in the 80's!  I love the fabric, and how versitile that dress is.  great job Wink
thanks! although i don't think this crazy swirly print is all that versatile....but i have it in my head to do another one in gray and keep it long for fall, which i think i could wear 1000 diff ways:) and i'm cracking up that you used this pattern in the 80s!! how cool is that?!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

livininphilly

A Portion of the AIDS Quilt in Atl, GA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008 05:24:22 PM »

cute, cute, cute! my vote is for vested or vested & belted. 
I am also enamored w/ 80s fashion right now. I have some old patterns (thrift store scores!) i've been trying to find fabric for... where do you find yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Guided by my heritage of a love of beauty and a respect for strength - in search of my mother's garden, I found my own." ~ Alice Walker
mixedchick
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008 05:03:30 AM »

i live in los angeles and we have a fabric/textile district in the downtown area. it's the neighborhood where FIDM is. if you've ever shopped on canal street in nyc, it's pretty much like that but for fabrics and notions instead of fake louis vuitton (although you can find that in the fashion district as well). basically, all the businesses are stalls not actual stores...picture a storage unit facility or an apartment building garage--stall next to stall next to stall. the businesses are practically on top of each other so they all compete for sales and bc of that, they are willing to haggle. most stalls sell the majority of their fabric for 0.99/yd except for silk, satin and of course anything upholstery weight. now, we aren't talkin super nice amy butler fabrics here, but if you dig a little you can find some great stuff here and there. unfortunately, i have no idea where they get the fabrics from originally Huh if you're interested, theres info herewww.fashiondistrict.org

sorry if that was long winded or if that didn't help at all since you don't live here Undecided
if you must have this fabric just PM me and we could do a fabric swap or somethin of the sort!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008 05:13:09 AM by mixedchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yossarian
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008 05:16:58 AM »

This is gorgeous!
I really love it, especially with the vest, done up. But I'm a vest girl so what do you expect?
But seriously, great job, and nice fabric! I think it's an awesome print.
=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Miso Glazed Barbecued Duck
How to Prepare Barbecued Asian Pork Sandwich
How to Cook a Tomato Rasam
How to Cook Barbecued Thai Pork Satay
How to Cook Mussels Moiree
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...