A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: maxi evening dress! (pic hefty!) also my 1st post!!!  (Read 10777 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mixedchick
« on: August 20, 2008 05:50:33 PM »

i've been obsessed with maxi dresses all summer but the ones i have are all very casual (stretch jersey and such) so i decided to make one that could be worn out at night. it was love at first sight when i saw this fabric and i knew it would be perfect for a maxi! i wasn't sure how i was going to do the top part of it but i constructed from the bottom up and worried about that last. the waist band is just super wide elastic. i love that it's striped and decorative so i didn't have to encase it. and i really love the way the stripes and the material contrast yet compliment each other. after i had the waist band on i played around with different styled bust (is that called a bodice?) but decided to leave it backless since that's my preferred body part to "play up". also since the intended use is for evening wear, i just went with it and made the dress cleavage-y, haha. i almost got super lazy and left it a tie halter but i talked myself into making it look more finished and instead added elastic behind the neck and connected both straps. (picture a hair scrunchie laid flat instead of round...that's what i did behind the neck.)

hanging: doesn't do it much justice.
on: it's a little revealing...hopefully not too much.

back view:

another front view:

NOTE: please disregard the blue hair scarf!!! also disregard my unmade-up face. this dress is much better with hair and makeup done, i promise. also the colors are slightly off in the pics. it's gray and black with white splatter and purple and green brush strokes. it looks like a painting:)

all in all, it was super easy and only took 2 evenings, only about an hour or so each. i didn't use a pattern, just eyeballed it, pinned, tried on, adjusted, re-pinned and sewed. the fabric is pretty thick and opaque for a stretch so i didn't have to line or hem it. although, an unfinished hem in stretch material doesn't bother me. plus the design is so busy you can't even tell it's not hemmed.
any feedback is appreciated! thanks for looking!

EDIT: i made two more!

this one has a different bodice. the neckline is asymmetrical and wraps around the neck (name that PR inspiration!) and has an extra strap across the back. I attached all the studs by hand -indivually- a total pain, but so worth it in the end.  Grin

and a close up of the back.

comment and critique away--as always!!!

i know it's been for-eva, but i took pics along the way if anyone is still interested in a tute. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008 02:34:10 AM by mixedchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

love is a verb, not a noun.

God is Good. God is Love.
zuliblu
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008 05:58:42 PM »

I love it, I have been all about the maxi dress lately.  They are so comfy and you can dress em up or down.  great job, I love the colors.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cardiganweather!
coffee: go swig or go home.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008 06:39:57 PM »

this dress is G O R G E O U S. I've never thought much about them but i think you just made me want to go out and by a maxi dress  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

country stud
Designer in training

one of my senior pics

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008 07:03:04 PM »

that dress is FIERCE!!!!!and you look great in it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*I Am The Lover Of Uncontained And Immortal Beauty*~
funkybunnies

every little soul must shine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008 07:05:58 PM »

That is drop-dead stunning! GREAT job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mixedchick
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008 07:12:11 PM »

thanks so much guys!!!! i really think these pics are crap so it makes me so happy you guys can still see it as a nice dress Grin Grin Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mixedchick
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008 07:17:35 PM »

this dress is G O R G E O U S. I've never thought much about them but i think you just made me want to go out and by a maxi dress  Smiley

don't do that!!! make one or swap with another crafter! they are soooo easy, i promise. the hardest part is just the bust area. the skirt is literally 2 rectangles worn lengthwise, sewn up the sides and gathered or pleated at the waist.

NOTE: i would gladly make you one Smiley
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 02:40:52 PM by mixedchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

HeIsMyEvenstar
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008 10:30:06 PM »

I love the fabric! The dress is awesome as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.c28.com/287786 10% off christian clothing with this link! Wink
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008 03:27:23 PM »

Gorgeous!  I wish I were tall enough to wear a maxi dress - you look amazing in yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
mixedchick
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008 03:46:34 PM »

Gorgeous!  I wish I were tall enough to wear a maxi dress - you look amazing in yours.

thanks so much! and fyi--i'm only 5'3''! that's the beauty of a maxi dress! VERY lengthening. this fabric pattern is also visually elongating because all the paint streaks are going up and down. it gives the same effect as vertical stripes Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn
A Certain Summer by Patricia Beard
Self-Published Millionaire Authors
How to Get Your Book Published
4 Young Adult Books For Your Summer Reading List
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...