A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wanting to go vegan  (Read 638 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

losing.penny
« on: August 20, 2008 01:54:06 PM »

i am currently a vegetarian wanting to go vegan due to different books i've read over this summer. i was just wondering if y'all have any tips or simple recipes i could use. i'm heading back to college this coming up week but i'll be able to cook for myself. i was also wondering, how do you deal with nonsupporting family/friends? i already get crazy looks from people when i tell them i'm a veggie, but now that i want to go vegan, i'm sure it'll be worse. it's just really discouraging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You have to have a high conception, not of what you are doing, but of what you may do one day: without that, there's no point in working." ~Edgar Degas
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008 07:53:39 PM »

Good luck going vegan. If your heart is in it, you should do OK.

As far as family goes, my family is supportive but I get harassed at work. It's something you will have to put up with. Just remember, the more people think they can get to you the more they will attack you. Ignoring them works pretty well. Some people just plain like to argue.

Here are a couple good blogs. I love the vegandad blog
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/
http://veganyumyum.com/

Try google and search for vegan recipes. You should find quite a lot. I'm not much of a cook. Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
elucidation
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008 02:29:21 AM »

Things that seem to be a staple in my house- peanut butter (w. banana, yummy (: ), baked potatoes (think beans, fake cheese, sweetcorn, marg., just about anything!), pasta/rice/quinoa/ basic grains that go with everything.., steamed/roasted vegetables, pizza (quicker if you go for mini pitta/ muffin/ crumpets as the bases), TOAST! (jam, banana, beans, peanut butter..), homedmade veggie/bean burgers (Easy peasy to make- I usually just mash a bunch of beans with some herbs and spices and some grated carrot, some veg, breadcrumbs and whatever else I fancy)

My friends seem to support me (Although only a few people know, really) although one of the more seemingly supporting ones turns out to be the most frustrating when we eat out and such- constantly reminding everybody that I'm vegan and making me seem like some kind of freak show.
Only my mum and brother know that I'm a vegan, family wise.. My mum was really angry when I told her and kept getting on at me for not drinking milk (because we don't hurt the cow! *rolls eyes*).. I ended up giving her a peta2 what they don't tell you leaflet thing to read through and now she doesn't hassle me about it d:
My brother was all how are you going to get protein, but once I explained things through he was fine with it.
I think the key is really knowing why you're doing it and about why it's healthy and being non-defensive in answering questions because for a lot of people they're curious but come across aggressively because it's deemed 'extreme'.

Woah, essays over.
(:
Anyway, good luck and enjoy (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Caramel Apple Baked Donuts?
Impress Her with This Amazing Dessert Panino
How To Make Healthy Chocolate & Peanut Butter Bars For Halloween
Candy Corn Whoopie Pie
Kahlua Caramel Nutella Brownie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...